Hasselblad, NJ, "check to spec" service

Kat D.

<p>Has anyone used this service at Hasselblad in New Jersey? The price is so low. But they should be reliable, right? <br>

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/1621347/check_to_spec_update.pdf<br>

I've been having focussing problems so want to have my 202FA and 110/2 checked out. I see that a lot of people use David Odess, but he doesn't work on 200 series (though he could work on the lens and back, but prices significantly higher than above).<br>

Thanks. </p>

<p>I found a thread at a Hasselblad forum which included the comment below about the check-to-spec offer:</p>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td valign="middle">

<p><In my opinion, this offer is very misleading (at least to me), as I presumed it <em>was</em> a CLA, but it is <em>not</em>. It is only an inspection fee. According to the NJ service center, if nothing is wrong with your camera, you would pay $99 for the honor and priviledge of having them look at your camera. But if anything is out of alignment, or in need of repair, the $99/$15 fee would no longer apply. However, they stated they will give you a 20% discount on labor since it was sent in on this "special offer," and subtract the $99 you've just paid from the total cost of repair/alignment.>></p>

<p>http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4577</p>

<p>I thought that $99 price was too low. I suspect my problem is with my 110/2 lens. Wonder if I should just send that to David Odess.</p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>I live under an hour from them so I used to drive there to drop and pick up my stuff when I was still working FT. They were always excellent, but a little pricey. When my son was younger they took him inside to see a magnificent private gallery that was there at the time and gave him a good pile of Hasselblad Victor Magazine or whatever it was called. Seeing those pictures alone was priceless. If you're hesitant, just call and talk to them.</p>

<p>I don't think it is misleading at all. They are checking that the camera is to spec. The flyer they have tells you exactly what they do, which is check the different things they list, clean the camera inside and out, and give you the option to do some repairs at a discount. It is a very good service -- they did it for me and combined it with a repair at a discount. It worked very well and the turnaround time was quite good! </p>

<p>I just called Hasselblad in New Jersey. What the poster in the Hasselblad forum said is correct. The $99 is the charge just to check everything, does not include any alignments or anything. But they deduct the $99 from any alignment or other repair that you might need (and discount the repair by 20% as well).</p>

<p>Reread the PDF and saw that it says the $99 includes "check and <strong>alignment</strong> of one V-system body, lens, film magazine and viewfinder" which contradicts what I was told a little while ago. So I called again. Was told the $99 will include alignments that are "minor tweaks." So I think the PDF is somewhat misleading. </p>

<p>As I am having focussing issues, the person I spoke to said my outfit will need more than minor tweaks.</p>

<p>It seems to be a matter of semantics...but the second page of the pdf with the checklist and terms and conditions pretty much says what they do, and they seem to have been fairly straightforward when you called them and asked about it. Seriously though, how can you go wrong? Your body is not focusing correctly anyway, so you know you will have to send it in for repair. They will check the entire body for 99 dollars, adjust minor things if they need it, and then subtract that 99 dollars from the cost of a repair AND give you a 20% discount! Seems like a pretty good deal to me! Hasselblads are highly tuned machines, and no one (reputable) is going to service one for much less than that, certainly not the 200 series...</p>

<p>Hi Stuart. I'm not complaining. I've got everything packed up to go. You are right, in the fine print at the end of the form, they are more clear about what they will do. I just thought the headline was somewhat misleading. Maybe they need a better copy editor. :-)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Update: My equipment is coming back from Hasselblad today. The focussing issue I had did turn out to be a problem with my 110/2 lens -- which they collimated. They did not charge extra for the collimation. They also adjusted focussing screen height slightly on my 501CM at no extra charge. So they do include some adjustments for the $99 check-to-spec fee. I spoke to the technician today about the focussing issues and he was very nice and informative. So I recommend this service.</p>