Longer eye-piece less smudges ?

hjoseph7

<p>Harry:</p>

<p>I use a Hoodman eye cup on my cameras. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1061">http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1061</a></p>

<p>Is that what you mean? I'm not sure it really reduces smudging from my nose against the LCD, but maybe it does some. I like it because it's more comfortable to use. Whenever I buy a new camera now, I buy one of these to go with it. :)</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>Without additional magnification, a longer eyepiece would make the viewfinder image smaller, but certainly, if it held the camera far enough from your face, it would reduce smudges. Whether such an eyepiece is available is probably a fair question, as well.</p>

<p>Like Eric wrote, a rubber eyecup helps but the amount of facial contact with LCD depends on how tall your nose is and how deep set your eyes are. Having a short nose, I suffer little or no smudging. My friend's nose is so great he has to bend it to seat his eye against the eye frame...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>Without additional magnification, a longer eyepiece would make the viewfinder image smaller</p>

</blockquote>

<p>not really. The viewfinder image is at a large virtual distance, hundreds of mm, so moving back a couple of mm from the eyepiece won't affect things at all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My friend's nose is so great he has to bend it to seat his eye against the eye frame...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then why are yo calling yourself "Puppy Face" instead of letting your "beagle nose" friend have the name?</p>

<p>I cover up the LCD on the back with a folding "Hoodman" or Delkin cover, turn off the automatic showing of pictures, and my batteries last forever without recharging. Also no smudges. ;)<br>

Does not work so well on the cameras without a top information LCD ("Rebels")</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Would a longer eye piece one that extendeds outwards prevent smudges on the camera LCD</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, a little bit</p>

<blockquote>

<p>or would it be too much trouble ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, I tried it and gave up. I wear glasses, and with the Canon eyepiece extender, it's easier to see the whole frame at a glance, but it introduces gross distortion (straight lines are bent) that is too ugly to overlook. (Of course, it doesn't affect the photo taken, just the usability of the camera.)</p>

• 2 months later...