Flash Shutter Speed

davidclick

<p>Good afternoon from windy but sunny 19 degrees C York UK...<br>

Ok I'll admit flash theory confuses me hence I'm asking the following question...<br>

Every-time I attach my SB900 to my Nikon D700 the flash shutter speed defaults to 1/60. I have learnt that I can adjust this speed in camera but 1/60th is as fast as it goes.<br>

Now here is my concern and exposure probably to my lack of understanding...<br>

If i shoot at 200mm with a D700 in Aperture priority with the flashgun SB900 attached shutter speed goes down to 1/60th. But what if i wanted it to be quicker to freeze motion? The camera settings wont let me go any quicker :-(<br>

Please could someone let me know why this may or may not be a problem if for example I was shooting at 200mm with the SB900 gun but wanted to shoot quicker than 1/60th but still with the flash attached.<br>

Thanks in advance :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>But what if i wanted it to be quicker to freeze motion? The camera settings wont let me go any quicker :-(</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sure they will. Switch to shutter priority or manual exposure mode (your flash exposure will still be fully automatic in M mode) and select any shutter speed you want up to the maximum sync speed.</p>

<p>In the default configuration, most (if not all) Nikon cameras will default to 1/60 flash sync in P, A or "pictogram" automatic exposure modes unless the lighting is too bright, in which case the camera will increase the sync speed. The reason for this is because 1/60 is a good compromise speed that allows some of the ambient background exposure to be captured if the lighting is dim.</p>

<p>If you do a little digging in your D700 instruction manual (see page 305), you will find a custom setting that allows you to set the minimum sync speed in all autoexposure modes, i.e. you can setup the camera so that the sync speed will be at least 1/125, or 1/200, or 1/250, etc.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ive switched to Manual and all is good :-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Careful. If you were using aperture priority and the camera was "defaulting" to a 1/60th shutter speed, that usually means that there isn't enough light for a faster shutter speed. In other words, without the flash, you would have probably seen a slower shutter speed (in aperture priority) to allow enough light in to create an exposure. The difference with using flash, is that now the flash is providing enough light to light your subject and shutter speeds aren't as relevant when using flash.</p>