5D Classic or 7D for weddings

hjoseph7

<p>I was wondering what would be the better Main camera to shoot a wedding a 5Dc or a 7D ? The reason why I say "Main" is because I can use one as a main and the other as a back-up. The 7D is faster, has 18 megapixels rather than the 12 of the 5Dc and it has a bigger and better LCD. On the other hand, the 5D is full frame and I can use the lenses with their native focal lengths. What would you use if you had a choice, thanks in advance.</p>

<p>5D classic. Being full frame, it still has <strong>slightly</strong> better noise appearance at high ISO. If that doesn't matter to you, either one would be just fine. I would repeat, as in all x vs. x discussions, doesn't really matter what other people think, although it is interesting to know, and might help you identify facts you might not have considered. However, the best thing to do is to rent one and then the other, using them on weddings. Process the files as you would, and then compare both files and the 'experience'.</p>

<p>"What lenses do you have?"<br>

===================================<br>

I have a Canon 16-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 amd a 50mm f1.4<br>

I laso have a Sigma 17-70mm EFS f2.8-f4.0 which on the 7D is the equivalent of covers 24-112mm.<br>

I have other lenses but I like to travel light so these are the ones I plan to use.<br>

So Kevin the 5Dc produces better large prints than the 7D that has higher resolution ?</p>

<p>Larger sensor beats more pixels.<br>

Also more pixels eventually makes more noise.<br>

If the prints are A4 or smaller, you shouldn't be able to see the difference (except bokeh) so I'd go with the blazing speed of the 7D.<br>

If you want a 20x30 inch print, the 5D would be visibly better but maybe the customer would never notice, they're usually too busy looking at themselves to worry about a little noise in the shadows.</p>

<p>Nadine tell you the truth, if I had a choice, I would just bring the 7D and the Sigma lens. It would save me from changing lenses on the fly and also spare my bad knee. Since I'm just starting out with this company(Davids Bridal) I'm thinking I got to pull out all stops. That might mean the 5D and 'L' series lenses. The Sigma covers a pretty good range(24-112mm) and with the 7D I don't have to worry about pulling in any dust. The 5Dc on the other hand, is known as a vaccum cleaner. I figure as nervous as I'm going to be being that I don't have allot of experience, worrying about dust might aggravate the situation.</p>

At the end of multi-week trips in rough conditions, I was starting to see a bit of dust in shots of relatively-featureless areas (ex. skies) taken at small apertures with an original 5D. It's highly unlikely you'll have any shots ruined by dust that the 5D "sucks in" during a wedding. If that's a significant, distracting worry, you may be driven to a nervous breakdown by the stresses of shooting weddings.

<p>I use a 5D classic and changes lenses on a job. It is no more a vacuum cleaner than the 40D I have. IMHO, dust depends on your environment to a large degree. The more humid, the more you have dust problems. I've never wet cleaned my sensors all these years. I use a large dust blower and the lenspen method, along with very rare use of the Speckgrabber. But I don't live in a humid environment.</p>

<p>I don't see why you don't just use the 7D and Sigma lens. Recently, I sent my 5D in for a shutter replacement and major overhaul. While in the shop, I used my 40D for about 3-5 weddings. I don't have any problem endorsing the fact that the images I shot with the 40D are any less 'professional' than the images I shoot with the 5D. I would have no problem impressing anyone with 40D work, if I was trying to impress anyone.</p>

<p>After Shooting the 5D Mark II + 7D, there are Pros and Cons of each camera but I can tell you my main Camera is 5D Mark II. Color is beautiful and tight area allows me with my 17mm, 21mm or my 35mm to do the job without worry of cropping. If you are planning to shoot with HD Video in the future the 5D Mark II hands down! Shooting fast movement is not the best choice for this camera but at the end I'm sure you know which camera to choose. Btw, I'm sure resale value for the 5D Mark II will holds its value within the stand of time. Good Luck!</p>

<p>The humidity is pretty high where I live. Especially during the summer months it can get really thick. I never wet cleaned the sensor on my 5D either, and I had for 2 years, but that's because I hardly use it, I feel more comfortable with the 7D. Not sure if they are going to want RAW or JPEG, haven't gone through the details yet, but if it's RAW I can pack more images on the flash-card with the 5D. One thing for sure they want 500 images minimum, which actually is not that bad, since I'm not a machine-gun type photographer . I guess I'll have to play it by ear/eye when I get there and see how things go. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I feel more comfortable with the 7D</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hmmm...your lens cache leans towards a FF camera, but this statement made me pause. I think you should probably shoot with your 16-35 on the 7D as your main kit and then have perhaps longer glass on the 5D1. I know it may seem counter-intuitive, but the 16-35 will give you a decent wide angle coverage with constant max aperture. You could always switch and mount it on your 5D for ultrawide work or in more confined spaces.</p>

<p>The reason for my recommendation is that it is extremely important to be comfortable with and be confident in your gear during a wedding. Your statement above belies an inherent possible mistrust or doubt of the 5D1. It is more than likely to show in your pictures if you are uncomfortable with your equipment. Ordinarily I am a 5D advocate but I think in your case 7D would be my main tool.</p>

<p>I would personally struggle with using your 17-70 Sigma as a main lens, being a variable max-aperture optic. Perhaps you may consider Sigma's new 17-50 f/2.8 OS - many reviews place it on a par with Canon's formidable 17-55 for significantly lower cost.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"if I had a choice, I would just bring the 7D and the Sigma lens. It would save me from changing lenses on the fly and also spare my bad knee."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why don't you have a choice?<br>

<br />And given that, IMO, you do have a choice and you have indicated your preference as wanting to shoot with the 7D: <br />Use the 7D, with the EF24-70/2.8 (which gives you the same FL range as the Sigma, but a stop faster and NOT a varying maximum aperture) and take the 5D with the 16 to 35 loaded on it should you need wider than equivalent of 38mm, you have it ready to use . . . and essentially make zero lens changes.<br>

On the other hand if you generally only use the shorter FLs for most of the Wedding then you can use the 16 to 35 on the 7D and take the 5D with the 70 to 200 on it - but the way I interpret your comment, is that you style is more suited to using the FoV equiv. of 38 to 112, for the whole day.<br>

Obviously take the other lenses in your bag.<br>

<br />WW<br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>Ah! - Mark and I were thinking the same: there appears hesitancy in the use of the 5D - which is fine if that is how you feel.<br>

If you are more comfortable with the 7D - then use it - but choose the zoom lens which fits your style for most of the wedding and fewer lens changes, if any . . . as we both suggested.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The thing I like about the Sigma is the IS"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Understood.<br /> Get a Monopod and try it with a quick release bracket - NOT a fancy head. <br /> I love my monopod - helps with the back problems too, as when resting the weight of the camera is on the pod NOT hanging from your arm.<br>

When do you use the IS - mainly at the Church?<br>

WW</p>

<p>I would go with the 7D which has some of the best HD Video you can get. I would much rather have a photographer that can give me both Video and Photos. Rather than one which could just give photos. Also, the 7D has a much better focusing system, better resolution much faster. In my opinion no contest. Also, I would want the camera which is most reliable, the last thing you want is a camera breaking at a wedding. I shoot with a 5D Mark II and I am looking to pick up a 7D as a backup and second video cam. I know many are still not embracing video on a DSLR but as a photographer having a camera without it is only going to be your loss in the long wrong because people will start to expect it.</p>

<p>First off, larger sensor does not always beat more pixels. I've produced 20x30 prints from the 7D and 5D and there is no comparison....at iso 100-400, the 7D is more detailed with the same color and tonality. It has a better LCD, higher frame rate, better weather sealing, better AF, MFA, etc, etc. </p>

<p>By the way....it is a 5D....not a 5D Classic....just a 5D.</p>

<p>Dust only shows up at smaller apertures most of the time. I shoot full frame now after coming from crop cameras and I do not really miss the crop camera design, but the 7D is probably just as good in image quality and high ISO noise as the 5D classic (both about 1 stop+ worse than the 5D II in noise control). 7D will focus much faster and you probably won't be stuck using the center point for most purposes. 7D is more modern and offers video and AF microadjustment. </p>

<p>Although between the two I would probably get a 5D, the 7D will be extremely good for wedding work as long as you understand the difference in DoF control (about 1-1/3 stops deeper DoF at any given effective focal length, so you could never get exactly the same narrowness of DoF as you would with a full frame camera).</p>

<p>Photosites are like humans. We don't like crowded areas and would get agitated when being squished tightly in a small location. Agitation leads to grumbling which leads to noise. ;)<br>

Imagine 18 million pixels cramped into a space that the size of your thumbnail. Think slums of Calcutta. Sure DIGIC IV will work its magic to mask away the noise, but they are there.<br>

For weddings and portraiture, the 5D IQ trumps the 7D. Natural graduation of blur is what FF is known for. Centre point AF, activate the assist points and you needn't worry about AF issues.</p>