sinar p focus scale missing?

mark_l6

<p>My Sinar P has exactly the same rear focussing knob as the front one, without any focus/depth of focus scale. The rest of the rear standard is the same as every other one I've seen. I cannot find any mention of this anywhere. Was this a feature missing off the early P's or has mine been bastardised? I'ved used it for five years like this and you don't miss what you've never had, but I've always wondered if the camera was as it left the factory or not.<br>

thanks, Mark</p>

<p>I should make it clear that it is not the scale that is missing off the barrel, but the knob does not project so far, and exactly matches the front standard focussing knob.<br>

So Ellis, is that confirmation that ALL Sinar P's left the factory with the longer knob with the focussing scale?</p>

<p>The front knob also fits the rear focus drive shaft. Focus scale is part of the stand P configuration rear standard focusing knob. <br>

I think the knob broke or got misplace and the previous owner put a lower cost front standard focus knob on.</p>

<p>If Mark or Peter could post photos of the front and rear function carriers or of the knob in question that would be helpful. </p>

<p>If I am reading Mark's question in his response corectly. The answer is , as I recall, no. There were special heavy duty function carriers designed for Sinar P cameras that were sold to be regualrly used as 8x10 cameras but I don't recall the knob itself was any longer.</p>

<p>The rear standard bear (AKA function carrier) of a Sinar P should look like one in the two photos posted by bensonga @ http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14160 (about a quarter of the way down the page).</p>

<p>There was a pretty complete redesign of the rear function carrier with the Sinar P2 as seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-P2-Rear-Standard-Excellent-/150602470251?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item23109b536b#ht_500wt_1156 or here: http://www.studionm.pl/img/Sinar/mini/36_0_sinar_p2.jpg</p>

<p>But it doesn't sound like that is what you are asking about.</p>

<p>sinar or their U.S. supplier should be able to get the part for you.</p><p>to my knowledge, sinar stock parts for a lot of their discontinued cameras and products, or can make something as needed.</p><p>it won't be cheap, but they'll be able to get you the part.<br></p>

<p>Thank you Peter, that is exactly the same as mine. Incidently, when I bought the camera the seller told me it was a very early example and that was how it came, but I always thought that was bulldust to help sell it to me!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Just to add fuel to this fire, I've found a 1972 copy of time-life 'The Studio', which shows the Sinar P with the knobs the same as Peter, Brian's and my camera. Maybe my seller wasn't talking bulldust after all.</p>

<p>I think this may be my last post but I just wanted to point out that a quick search on google images showed about 25% (this is totally unscientific!) of the images of sinar p's without the dof scale and I notice that on Glennview's site he has two different prices for all size p's according to whether they have a dof scale or not.<br>

I am coming to the conclusion that possibly the early cameras did not have this feature. Since this is starting to bug me and no-one at Sinar Australia seems to be old enough to know I am going to ask Sinar in switzerland and will post any response. Thanks everyone for your help.</p>