Nikon 14-24mm on a Canon 5DII? Tilt/Shift adaptor?

andrew_keam

<p>i, I use a Canon 5DII and the Nikon 14-24mm via an adaptor... I haven't used it much but so far it seems to do the job... <br>

I am mainly interested in architecture/landscapes and recently came across this camera...</p>

<p>http://www.hartblei.de/en/hartbleicam2.htm</p>

<p>It claims that you can put a variety of lenses on it, with them still covering the 6x4.5 frame and in the case of the new Canon 17mm and 24mm tilt/shift lenses, still have room for movements!<br>

One of the lenses covered is the Nikon 14-24mm and i was wondering if anyone knew what the image circle of this camera was? Based on the information by Hartblei (or at least how the article comes across) it covers at least the 6x4.5 frame.. </p>

<p>So I was wondering if there was any adaptor that would enable a little bit of rise with this lens? Would be awesome for landscapes and architecture..</p>

<p>So, I may have totally missed something here but would be very interested in all your thoughts on this.. </p>

<p>Cheers Andrew</p>

<p>I have been using my Nikon 14mm f2.8 on Canon and Nikon DSLRs for the last few years. I just bought a used Canon 17mm f4 TS-E L and a Canon 1Ds to go with it. I am in the process of evaluating whether I want to keep the 14 or not. My purposes are for landscape/architecture as well.</p>

<p>I did not read all the details about the Hartblei. I had already considered the idea of shifting the 17 through it's full range and stitching many images together to create a medium format sized image. I have already calculated that an image could be created from the 17 that would represent the view of a 12mm lens on full frame. The Hartblei would appear to make this easier.</p>

<p>All tilt/shift lenses are made with very large image circles to allow for the movements required. The Nikon 14-24 is not made with a larger image circle than required for 24mm x 36mm. However it looks like the Hartblei would allow you create simple panoramics with the 14-24 lens. I still have to do a lot of reading to see how the Hartblei works to know what finished image sizes would be possible. I do not know if you can actually mount a DSLR to it or only medium format digital backs. </p>

<p>They do not discuss how the system works. It looks like a motorized mount moves the user supplied medium format digital back sensor across the field of view of the mounted lens. I guess it automatically fires the shutter as the sensor moves and then I guess the user has to manually stitch all the images together to create the final image. I guess with a shift 35mm format lens you can create a true 645 image measuring about 48mm x 56mm instead of the 36mm x 48mm image created by the typical Hasselblad digital cameras. The stitching process means that you want essentially still subjects so there is no motion blur of leaves, clouds, etc. </p>

<p>Since the 14-24 only covers 36mm in the largest direction I guess you can create an image that is 36mm x 56mm with this camera. </p>

<p>I also guess that you can mount a Hasselblad 40mm lens and actually create a real 6x6 image, about 56mm x 56mm, and prehaps even 6x12, and thus allowing people to use their medium format lenses the way they were meant to be used, allbeit with still subjects only, and through a stitching process.</p>

<p>The adapter for Nikon>EOS is about 1.11mm thick. I can't see how you could possibly fit any shift or tilt mechanism in there and maintain infinity focus. I do use a PC-Nikkor 35mm shift lens with an adapter on my 5D.</p>

<p>The 17mm can easily be used to make a panorama by shifting it all one way and then flipping and shifting the other (below)</p>

<p>The Russian shift or tilt adapters I've seen are all for adapting medium format lenses like the P6 lenses to EOS.</p>

<p>The 14-24 has about a 44mm image circle, constrained by a built in, permanent petal lens hood to produce about a 24x36mm rectangular image. A $10,000 "economy" 645 digital back has a 33x44mm sensor. Center the 14-24mm on that, and you get a 24x36mm rectangle centered in a 33x44mm black border.</p>

<p>Remove the permanent hood (hacksaw, anyone?) and you get a 44mm circle with 5.5mm of the top and bottom clipped off. Move the 33x44mm back up and down a bit, and you get a 44mm square with dark corners and a 44mm circular image centered in it.</p>

<p>The Nikon and Canon tilt/shift lenses have about 60mm image circles. They cover the 55mm image circle of a "cheap" $10,000 MG back, and even the 60mm image circle of the $15-20k 36x48mm MF backs, although you can't really shift in any meaningful way, because you'll go right out of the image circle. Shifting would basically let you do things like taking a vertical picture with a horizontal back, but personally, I'd rather turn the camera. They will, however, tilt, and the 45mm tilt is probably pretty useful on a 55mm or 60mm diagonal back.</p>

<p>So, the Hartblei is really a tool for using just the Nikon and Canon tilt/shift lenses (although that is a line of 3 or 4 good lenses per company) and more conventional 645, 6x6, and 6x7 lenses.</p>

<p>I don't know why they showed it with the Nikon 14-24, I can't see much need to put that lens on a MF sensor. The Nikon D3X is pretty much the highest quality body you can get with a lens with that coverage, with the 1Ds III a close second. Nothing in the MF world of 10 year old, repurposed aerospace sensors even comes close.</p>