Grid for speedlight/profoto

<p>I'm looking into honeycomb grids for two sets of lights, one being for a portable flash unit (Canon 430 ex and a Sunpak 622) and the other for a portable profoto unit.<br /> For the flashes, I'm considering either buying a premade unit or going the DIY method (the Sunpak face is significantly bigger so if I go the diy method then I would probably make two grid units...if bought premade might just have to do without for the sunpak). Any opinions on the premade units? I've found three so far, <a href="http://www.honlphoto.com/speed-grid.html">Honl</a>, <a href="http://www.expoimaging.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=28">Rogue</a>, <a href="http://www.saxonpc.com/3-stage-flash-gri3.html">SaxonPC</a>. Saxon PC is the cheapest and looks sufficient, Honl and Rogue look to have pretty good units too, just curious as to what people have tried.<br /> For the profoto I simply can't afford the name brand grid. Any suggestions as to third party grids? Thanks.</p>

<p>I remember reading, some time ago, I think in strobist (in fact, I'm pretty sure) of a "home-made" way of using grids made for large strobes with smaller strobes. It involves a bungy cord and some hooks, but it works (I have tried it) and beats having to buy multiple grids.</p>

<p>Just tried the spaghetti box. Fits perfectly on my 430ex, snug, no rubber bands needed. However the edges of the light are a bit too sharp and the shape of the light too rectangular for what I want....no surprise there I guess. On the plus side I'm not losing any power with it. I may try to get some black tubing to try to make a grid with it.<br>

Thanks for the suggestions so far.</p>

<p>I've made a grid for a small speedlight out of black drinking straws, cut short and glued together in a honeycomb pattern, held together with hot melt glue, with velcro holding it to the flash head. It works beautifully and gives wonderful results, but if your goal is to impress others with your professional looking equipment, this is not the way to do it.</p>

<p>I bought the Harbor Digital Design honeycombs for Speedlights from B+H, since they not only had specific models for both my Nikon SB-800/600s (they make one for yours, too), they also seemed to have the best attachment design. I bought two for my SB-600s as an experiment: the 1/4" and the 1/8 grid. I must say that I'm extremely happy with them. They totally work as advertised, and most importantly, they attach securely and detach easily with no messy tape or sticky Velcro to muck up your Speedlights. I highly recommend them! Caveats: the 1/4" is likely more useful than the 1/8" honeycomb. Do not buy the version with the overpriced gel pack. I bought these kits, thinking that they were "hard gels." They're not. They're just small pieces of regular gel that you could cut yourself from a standard sheet of gel for much less money. But for $34.95 for the snoot alone, it's a slick little piece of gear, fits perfectly, and works well.</p>