How to take candid shots?

navarra

I have seen hundreds of shots of people on the street, working

etc... I have often seen people doing interesting things or simply

worthy of being "immortalized" by my camera, but I am afraid they

would notice me taking pictures of them and get mad at me :)

I mean, do you usually ask people "may I take a picture of you"

while they are doing something interesting or do you "shoot and

run" ? And if it's the second case (100% candid shots) ain't it just

plain rude to picture someone and show him to other people without

him knowing? Don't people get mad at you if they didn't want to be

portraied but the camera just made a terribly noisy CLIK?

I'd really like to take shots of "everyday life", so any comment on

this would be appreciated. Thanks

Simone

Different people have different methods. Jeff Spirer has some great B&W street shots. I wouldn't classify them as candid. They are more natural though because he establishes a repoir(sp?) with them first. I believe he favors mild wide angle lens (from what I can discern from his images) such as the 35mm.

There are 2 other ways to get candid shots. The first is to use a wide angle lens, manually prefocus it and set the aperture for a good range of DOF, then just shoot. Most of the time, you're not directly aiming the camera at your subject so they won't notice you. The other way is to use a long telephoto (200mm?). At that range, most people might not realize your taking pictures of them and will act more natural.

During my sister-in-law's wedding this past summer, I used a 50mm (because it was sharp and lightweight). I was in the bridal party so during the outdoor portraits when the photog was taking shots of the groom and bride, I took candids of the rest of the party and the parents. I stood from a decent distance and just shot away. Out of 2 rolls, I managed to get about 10 really nice candids. Everyone liked them because they managed to capture what everyone was doing, smiling and laughing, fixing gowns, tuxes, etc., vs the normal posed shots.

Now I'm not sure why, but I've found that B&W is also perfect for this. I prefer it as well as many others. As I said, I have idea why. It's something I've been thinking alot about.

Many people worry about this subject far more than they need to from my experience. There are going to be people who don't want their picture taken and there are going to be people who are upset when their picture is taken, but thankfully they are the minority.

Many people will be interested in why you want to take *their* picture.

Many people will just naturally keep doing whatever they were doing. Many people will be flattered.

I personally find the use of a telephoto less honest since people won't know you're there. A 50mm or a 35mm lens gives me both the look and the interaction that I want.

Thanks for your replay. I like the idea of talking to people before taking the shot. I use to do many "candids" as well during partyes and meetings, since I use digital and can make many pictures with no expense. These are easy since obviously most of my parents and friends do not mind me taking a lot of pictures of them. The problem here is that of course being the photographer I'm never in the nicest shots (unless I start playing with reflections, auto ecc...)

Thanks again.

Peter R. Wood wrote:

<Br> > Does anyone have some tips on how to coax the camera-shy into

<br>> being photographed?

<br>> Also (somewhat related to that), what about taking pictures of

<br>> strangers?

<p><p>

1. The first part of your question presupposes that to photograph one needs to ask (and to pose th subject?). I disagree strongly. Even when people (eg. my friends) know I am photographing, I photograph them in moments when they they behave naturally,simply looking for the moments when their poses, gestures, light etc. become interesting - in effect using the "street photography" approach. Portraits obtained in this way are much more interesting than any posed stuff, in my view, and I would refer you to the Washington Post web site that displays Henri Cartier-Bresson portraits ("Tete-a-tete") for you to see the merits of such an approach when done well.

<p>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...

.../museums/photogallery/bresson/essay.htm

<p>

2. On photographing strangers - "street photography". First, it's

legal in most cases, second it happens to be an established genre of photography, and photographing life as it is, looking for artistic moments the unpredictable life creates randomly from time to time can be a very interesting activity based on a solid aesthetical foundation.

<p>

If you photograph life, you do not wish to disturb it - I completely reject the paparazzi approach, when a photographer sticks his camera under the nose of the subject, often even provoking him or her to react strongly. Some of the photographs by the less intelligent and poorly structured H. Winogrand were obtained in that way. It's base.

<p>

So if we do not wish to disturb, we have to "wear an invisibili cloak" in a sense.

<br> Here are some of my techniques.

<p> (a) The camera is hanging down from my hand along the leg, and often

is hidden by my leg and body. People mostly are not aware of it. To

hold a camera like that, wrap the neck strap around your hand, it

secures the camera. (Remember not to knock objects with it, though,

may be an expensive mistake)

<p>

(b)When you see something interesting, raise the camera, zoom/frame

and shoot. Usually about 1 second. Prefocussing (using the depth of

field) and manual mode shorten the lag, which is of utmost

importance in changing situations.

<p>©Usually even if people notice that you are photographing, it will

happen after you've taken it. Then behave correctly -

<br> - smile at them, do not fuss

<br> - if someone is asking in an angry voice "Did you photograph me?" -

say , "yes", nicely - it's completely legal, at least in the street.

Say you are a tourist, or a student that is doing an assignment; if

your camera is digital, show them the small picture on the LCD,

promise to e-mail it to the person (and even do it), etc.etc.

Sometimes, but rarely it's necessary to explain the legality of it -

one can take photos of people in "public" places without asking

anyone's permission.

Usually if you behave normally, few would object - out of those few

who even noticed you photographed them .

<p>(d)Pretend you are photographing something behind them. They look at

you, you continue to stand and wait when they pass showing that you

are photographing something else. A similar technique can be used -

point the camera at dogs/feet etc., then zom, reframe, and

photograph. People would not realize it's them you are

photographing, not their dog.

<p> (e)Let someone passing between you and the person(s) you are

photographing be you shield: raise the camera to the eye when you

are not visible.

In the same way, raise the camera looking another way, being

invisible to your object(s), then turn and shoot. When they notice,

it's too late already.

<p> (f)Generally, raise the camera with a movement that has the speed of

the other people's movements, do not jerk - it attracts attention to

you.

<p>(g)Understand when your subjects are divided from you somehow - they

are "captive", for example the audience at a concert, it's unlikely

that anyone would stand up and object.

<p> (h) if you need a direct look at the camera, remember, that when

people are passing by you, there always is a moment they will look

at you, so frame and wait. After that pretend they "spoiled" your

photo, and showing impatience wait for them to pass (see (d)).

<p>(i) and most importatnly, your invisibility is in your TIMING. Like

a magician, making a bold gesture with one hand, hides something

with his other one, realize that when people are talking to each

other, react to something, etc. etc. their attention is turned

towards that object, and whatever you do is invisible to them. In

most cases it's precisely the moments of their reaction to something

or being occupied with something that are most interesting to

photograph, not static stares in the camera.

<p>

Think along these lines, experiment, and you'll be surprised how

easy it is to photograph people sometimes from 3 feet away without

their noticing you at all.

You need to know how to run as well. I recently got some candids of some people who were guilty of some mis-behaviour. When they saw me I was set upon and had to fight and run very, very fast.

Of course I had an idea that they might not appreciate my photographic interest in them, but what the heck, eh?

The issue with candid shots is not how your subjects feel, but how you feel about them. If you are comfortable taking someone's photo, your subject often won't worry either (assuming you are not violating any cultural rules).

Often times it's not as big a deal as you may think it is. I posted the photo in the "Americana" thread below. I was standing right next to the girl with the soft drink. She was taking a few sips, I was taking a few photos. And I'm sure none of the guys cared about either one of us. The whole incident took no longer than 15 seconds, and life moved on. Nobody noticed, nobody minded, no big deal. Isn't that what candid shots are all about?

Thanks for all your answers. As I have seen reading posts on other forums as well, the question I made beginning this thread is far from a complete answer.

Some think anyone got the right to take pictures of others, some think it's wrong and some are just somewhere in the middle.

I think that's a matter of culture as well. I started this thread in the beginning since I myself find it somewhat rude to picture unknowing people. Here in Italy, but probably in the whole Europe, interfering with some one else's life is considered very rude even in ways that are commonly accepted in the USA or other countryes. For example, I found americans much more open to speak with strangers than europeans are. That's not a "stereotipe", it's my experience.

I never speak to people in cues here in Rome, because nobody does so unless there really is a reason, but when I was in Nevada people spoke to strangers with much more ease (and I was like "what does this guy want from me? He/she's gotta be some kind of freak!" :-)

Another example could be someone sneezing in the subway, and my american friends told me they use to say "God bless you" even to strangers. Well, don't do that in Italy or France (and probably all Europe), it would feel like you are pulling their legs or simply being offensive.

In other countries, taking pictures without asking is not only rude but illegal, since some people don't take "portraits" as lightly as we do.

So this long post is to say that maybe the position of people about candid street shots comes not only from something personal but from their education/culture as well.

If somebody doesn't want to be portrayed because he believes it's not right to do so, of course you cannot know this in advance, so I believe it's hard to find an answer to this "problem" that makes everyone happy.

only run if you'll face physical harm. there are a bunch of street

photographers out there and personally, street photos are my reason

for shooting at all. just take into account that the way you work

affects other street photogs. if you're shitty to people, people will

remember and make it soo much harder for the next photog. be

assertive, but polite. don't be afraid...atleast act like you're not

afraid, take the shots. 99% of the time, the worst they can do it

say no and curse at you. good luck, have fun!! ---billy

ps. try to shoot with a small camera should help.

I nice one I often used when faced with the usual "Did you make a photo of me..." and simmilair responses:

"I'd rather painted a picture, but then you would have need to be here like that all week." (english is not my native language, but yopu get the point). when said with a smile and a cheery tone of voice, guarranteed to 'defrost' 'angry' subjects.

Yes, I took that shot - on Powell St. in San Francisco. I've seen

them twice in the downtown area over the last year.

They are kind of well-known in SF and have appeared in TV ads

in the past - for the Chronicle, IIRC.

What does the image in Pop Photo look like?

www.citysnaps.net

Candid. That was the key word in your question. This is generally

defined as photography of unaware subjects. Asking first kind of blows

that approach, unless you are willing to become friends of the people and

wait until they forget you are there. When I am doing street photography

I shoot when they are not aware of me. If they notice me I don't shoot

the picture. A small camera like a Leica is a help...people think I'm just a

tourist with a point and shoot and ignore me. When I've done it with an

SLR like a Nikon F5 or D1X, they think it's for some commercial reason

and ask why I shot a photo of them. With a bigger camera like a

Hasselblad they are almost sure it's a commercial picture. So, I only use

a Leica M these days.<div>0040Zq-10146784.jpg.84bafe8ea18c110b47aeb499726f38d2.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
My typical technique for candids involves taking my Canon 100-400 zoom, going to a busy city square, and parking myself somewhere on the sidelines. After about 10 minutes you become just part of people hanging around the place and can shoot more or less at will.

I think everyone has to develop a working method they feel comfortable with. What works for one person may not work for another. I went through a period where I'd force myself to go up to people who interested me (strangers) and inquire whether I might photograph them. Most of the time they were agreeable, and it helped me to overcome some shyness in that area. But that method might not work for you.

To take the kind of street pictures Garry Winogrand took, you have to be ready to either brush off potentially angry people who confront you, or have really good "people skills" and a sense of humor to disarm them. If you are good at that type of thing, it can lead to some interesting follow-up experiences with the people you photograph. But generally if you get "caught" taking a secretive picture, you have to have a thick skin, especially these days.

I found, though, that after a while photographing strangers on the street became much less interesting, because it lacked the human connection that I think is important. I began to work on extended personal projects and got to know the people I photographed. I'd end up returning again and again to a place or a happening, where after a while I was just accepted as part of the situation, and could hold a running conversation with the people I was photographing. I've made some very good friends through this process!

One thing I don't think is such a good idea is using a zoom or telephoto and secretly taking people's picture from a distance. It can be a challenge, sure, the way taking nature pictures of birds or wild life can be, but it doesn't afford the interaction and reward of getting to know another person. Generally I work pretty close to my subjects, using a wide angle lens. This seems to give me the kind of pictures I like best, but it may not be for you.

Good luck with your picture taking. I hope it provides the opportunity to both make some interesting images as well as get to know some people you would not have known otherwise.

Bill L.

Stroudsburg, PA