NEC PA241W - workflow to produce JPGs for Web

<p>I recently replaced my pedestrian HP monitor with a spiffy new NEC PA241W with the colorimeter and SpectraView II software. I've calibrated two profiles: one for photo editing using the monitor's "Native (Full)" color gamut and the other using its "sRGB" color gamut.</p>

<p>To make a JPG for the Web with the old monitor, I first edited the photo with CS5 in the ProPhoto RGB color space. When I was satisfied, I duplicated the image and then converted the duplicate to sRBG. I then compared the ProPhoto RGB and sRGB versions side-by-side and made any necessary tweaks to the sRGB one to get it to match the ProPhoto RGB version as nearly as possible. (Many pictures required little or no tweaking.) At that point, I duplicated the sRGB version, resized and sharpened the duplicate and saved it as a JPG.</p>

<p>With the new monitor, I think the process should mostly be the same but am wondering whether at some point I should switch to the sRBG calibration (or do something else) since most people will be looking at the JPGs on regular, narrow gamut monitors. Or does it even matter? I can't see the difference, if there is any, between JPGs displayed in wide gamut and sRGB modes because the swtichover process takes a few seconds (during which the monitor momentarily flashes up to retina searing brightness), and by the time it's done I've forgotten what it looked like before.</p>

<p>Should I just stick with wide gamut mode for the whole process or somehow take advantage of the monitor's sRGB capability to make better JPGs?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Kent</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It sounds like your workflow is sound. You’ll still want to covert to sRGB for web posting due to all the non color managed browsers. The reason you’d switch to sRGB on the display is if you are using non color managed apps (a browser), otherwise you’re all set. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)