Focus screen for fast lenses for the Eos 3?

andrew_keam

<p>Hi, I currently have a 5DII and 50mm 1.2 lens and recently had the EG-s screen installed to enable me to better see the depth of field in the viewfinder... This has made a massive difference in focusing wide open.. I am looking to purchase a Canon film camera and was wondering if there is a screen I can get that is similar.. I am looking at getting a Canon Eos 3. Can I use the EG-s screen or is there another screen I should be looking at? Also, can I use all the new Canon digital lenses on film? </p>

<p>Ok, thanks so much, any information that anyone can provide would be amazing!</p>

<p>Best Regards Andrew</p>

<p>Andrew,<br>

I don't think you can use the "EG" screens, those for the EOS 3 were of the "Ec" type and there were several. They were;<br>

Ec-N, Ec-R <br>

Ec type (A, B, C, CII, D, H, I, L)</p>

<p>If you have the manual for the EOS 3, page 133 gives some detail of the optional focus screens. Also, don't forget to change the Custom Function to match the focusing screen installed.</p>

<p>Yes, all your EF mount lenses will fit the EOS 3, but not the EF-s lenses.<br>

Hope that helps some.</p>

<p>Hi, Thanks for the information, I was able to view page 133 of the manual but was left no wiser really... It seems to be down to the Ec-N screen or the Ec-R screen but neither really talks about it being optimised for fast primes.. Anyone out there know which one I should be aiming for? Thanks again.. Andrew</p>

<p>Andrew,</p>

<p>I'd get the EOS 3 first, and use the screen that's installed for awhile first. Then decide if you really need a different screen.<br>

At least on my EOS 3, I found that the AF was very responsive, and I had no major issues with determining/seeing the depth of field. The DOF Preview button on the EOS 3, when manually focusing was very effective.</p>

<p>You may also find that you like the EOS 3's Depth-of-field AE (DEP) functions. </p>

<p>The EOS 3 had a wonderful viewfinder! I wish my current 50D,s viewfinder was anywhere close!<br>

You may also find that you like the Eye Control Focus feature. I still have my Elan 7e and EOS 3, and when I get them out for a roll of film, . . . Well, I long for ECF on a digital body!</p>

<p>The EOS 3's Depth-of-field AE (DEP) focus points could be set manually or with the Eye Control Focus which I found that I actually was more apt to use than the DEP function on any other Canon Body.</p>