Nikon f100 Err message.

frederick_joicey

<p>I have the chance of buying a Nikon F100 at a very low price. It is described as faulty. With supposedly new batteries in the camera body(there is no grip fitted) the LCD shows the Err message, and E. The latter being displayed as there is no film in the camera.<br>

I have searched photonet, and also the internet, and it would appear that batteries can cause this problem. I think the camera is in working condition, and the problem/fault may be easily rectified.<br>

I already own a Nikon F100, and I have not encountered the problem with it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to rectifying the Err message? Or does it appear it may be a professional repair job ?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have the chance of buying a Nikon F100 at a very low price. It is described as faulty.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In these days, fully funcational used F100 bodies are a Pound a dozen. If the seller describes that he/she is selling a faulty F100, you may as well stay away and look for a better one.</p>

<p>The Err message could be that the camera still has a film transport problem in its memory.</p>

<p>A short story -<br /> A few years ago I took rolls out of my FE2 to finish off in my N70 and F100 bodies. In each case, the crease in the film tab created by the FE2 hung up the rewind process and I had to pull the film out by hand in a dark room. These incidents happened in 2000 (N70) and 2003 (F100), so I don't remember the exact remedy, but in each case the camera needed to finish the rewind process (or at least THINK it did) to get back to normal.</p>

<p>If you have the opportunity to handle this camera, see if it will rewind (and set the film speed manually to eliminate a DX sensing problem). You may even want to put a roll in and pull the film over the spool so that the camera thinks there's something to rewind.</p>

<p>It's fun to solve a mystery, but f you can't inspect this camera before purchasing I'd go with Shun's recommendation and find another one in working order.</p>

<p>Thanks, both for your replies. The camera is going for virtually next to nothing, and the person selling has no idea about cameras. Quite a lot on the internet mentions this problem with the batteries, and it is 'easily' fixed by removing them, then re-installing. However, I don't want to buy the camera, then spend about, possibly, £100 to have it fixed.</p>