PS CS4 Smart Sharpen Doesn't "Take" at Fit to Screen Size

<p>I think this is something new, but, honestly, I can't say for sure the last time I sharpened a large image. Most of my output is for web or small (4x6, 5x7) prints. When I sharpen a large image (the one in question is 1920x2880) at Actual Pixels, there's no problem, but, when I fit the image to screen, much of the sharpening disappears. I've printed an 8x12 and the sharpening effect is still there, but it's distracting to lose it at Fit to Screen when I'm trying to work on collages or borders. I'm aware this is standard in Lightroom 3.3, but I don't recall seeing it before in CS4. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the matter? Screen captures attached.</p><div>00Yd2J-351913884.jpg.ff835ef46e751b267cc0c5155ce21733.jpg</div>

<p>If you really wantsan accurate indication of the effect of sharpening you must view the image at at least 50% and some say 100%. When you reduce the magnification the effect of sharpening becomes much less apparent. Add to that the generally held belief that, when sharpening an image for print (especially a large print) the on screen image should appear moderately oversharpened. But you will not see this at less than 50 - 100% magnification.</p>

<p>if you want to see the *real* sharpeninhg you need to be at 100%.. it was something that was well discuss and written in Lightroom v2 i think, a little alert was on the preview box.. and it was and still a common knowledge for the Photoshop user. Always use 100% when applying a effect. Then in need, i many time look at the effect applied (in this case smart sharpen) at 50% or 25% if i want to see how it will look when print on a inkjet or magazine.</p>

<p>All the other 13.5%, 17.8% etc wont give you anything good.</p>

<p>Also, you do know that each images as to be sharpen (well the output sharpening) at the final size only.. meaning that if you have a 12x18 300ppi and you want that file to be 1024x768 72ppi (ppi is irrelevant for web and monitor view.. but i like to do it like that anyway) you will need to apply your last sharpening to this smaller size OR use bicubic sharper as your rezise image method...</p>

<p>Basically, a 3 step sharpening is something like that;</p>

<p><strong>1_ Capture Sharpening</strong> <em>is applied early in the image-editing process</em>, and just aims to restore any sharpness that was lost in the capture process.<br /><br /><strong>2_ Creative Sharpening</strong> <em>is usually applied locally to accentuate specific features</em> in an image-for example, we often give eyes a little extra sharpness in head shots.<br /><br /><strong>3_ Output Sharpening</strong> <em>is applied to files</em> that have already had capture and creative sharpening applied, <em>after they've been sized to final output resolution</em>, and is tailored to a specific type of output process.</p>