Do you know this Man and what camera is in his hands

<p>Why isn't Yuri using a Kiev ? I'm fairly sure that's a Blaupunkt in the background. Wonderful radio. AM, FM, Short Wave and Long Wave. Sounded great and if you hooked up a long wire antenna you could listen to the world.<br>

Now you just go to the internet.</p>

<p>Gene, I assume that on picture Gagarin is just playing with bunch of presents people sent him all over the world. He may have Kiev as well. I never been in the museum where his belongings are presented. I heard a story that his Salut 6x6 camera which was on the display in a museum turned to be fake. That was quite a scandal.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting this! I have never seen a close up of Yuri without his space suit, he was quite a good looking guy. Naturally there has been a lot in the news about him lately, but no-one mentioned his Exakta!<br>

Sad that he never quite got to see men on the moon. I don't know how he would have felt about those damn capitalists getting there first!</p>

<p>What a tragic end to his life, the first man into space. I recognized his face but couldn't place the name. I can imagine after his famous voyage into the outer reaches of our atmosphere, he could have anything he wanted, and these items probably just showed up one day and he's checking them out. The bookcase behind him tells a story of his intellect. He was only 34 when he died.</p>

<p><strong>KP</strong>, the Exakta model looks like a late edition of the VX or the VXIIa [earlier editions] going by the stopper stud for the cocking lever. The pentaprism, however is a later version found mainly on the VXIIa later models, before they changed the front plate. The lens looks like a Biotar, preset. The details are not very clear; I am not able to identify more certainly. sp.</p>

<p><strong>Tony</strong>, I also have not seen this picture before. I have seen many official portraits as well as his famous red carpet walk, with his shoe lace untied )). I do not think that that he would be caught with surprise that Americans got to the Moon first. After Korolev's death it was more or less obvious plus Leonid Bregnev did not want to finish Lunar project anyway. <br>

<strong>Dave</strong>, yep he was very young when he died, he was born the same year as Sofie Lorren.<br>

<strong>Sabbarayan</strong>, thanks I think you right.</p>

<p>Do not recognize him, but the camera is definitely and Exakta of the VX variety. Can't be sure which model. But they all had the trapezoidal body. and the left hand film advance lever.</p>

<p>Thanks for the quiz. Before the answer was shown, I guessed Exacta because of the unique body, and I thought it must be a Cosmonaut. Very clean cut and good looking. Yuri was a perfect choice because everyone in the world could love him. It was probably a requirement but I read that he was quite short.</p>

<p>The US Air Force sent me to MIT 1962-1964 where I acquired two masters degrees, one in meteorology and the other in aeronautics-astronautics. There were several hundred military students attending MIT, the greatest technical school on the planet. My classmates on the astro side included Buzz Aldrin, Edgar Michell and Charlie Duke, all of whom would be future moon walkers. Aldrin and Mitchell were pursuing PhDs, but Charlie was going for a masters and we had about 8 courses together. We were all young 1/Lts or captains and I attended Charlie's promotion party when he made captain. I had two one-on-one sessions with him post moon flight when he visited Seattle.</p>

<p>Charlie flew on Apollo 16, but for those of you who recall the first landing in 1969, you may recall someone in Houston saying to the Eagle, in a southern accent, "You have a bunch of us here about to turn blue". That was Charlie and he was from South Carolina and a 1957 grad of the Naval Academy. In those days before the first graduating class of the Air Force Academy in 1959, West Pointers and Naval Acad grads were permitted to go into the Air Force and Charlie was one of them.</p>

<p>I had an occasion in the past year and a half or so to speak with a Russian immigrant to the U.S. whose first and middle names were Yuri Gagarin. Naturally enough it was a name commonly given to boys in Russia in the early to middle 1960s.</p>