How do I adjust my printer profile ?

<p>I have created a printer profile for my Epson R2880 for Ilford Gold Fiber Silk using Monaco EZ Color Suite. Please no lectures on getting new software. I am tapped out from getting new stuff at the moment. The screen to print match is not acceptable to me. I used "Edit Printer Profile" function using Method #1 (the manual says use Method #1 if you’re print does not match the screen and you are happy with the way it looks on the screen). My screen now matches the original print in my hand. I have saved the adjusted profile (same as original name, but word modified added). I guess I don't know what to do with this now. Do I load up this profile in Photoshop (Convert Profile) and then adjust the image to my liking and then print? If so, which printer profile do I use at that point, the original or the Modified? Sorry, but the manual does not clear this up for me and this process has never made too much sense to me. I have only recently developed an interest in color so never really sorted it out before. I am lost. Please help me clear this process up.</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Print profiles are used by the printing software, notably Photoshop, and not the operating system like monitor profiles. There are two things you must do. In the print driver (print SETUP), turn local color corrections OFF and enable ICM. Set the generic paper type in the print driver, which establishes the resolution and (perhaps) ink density. Secondly, in Photoshop, enable "Let Photoshop determine the color" (or something to this effect) and select which print profile to use in the corresponding dialogue box.</p>

<p>For advanced work, you can use "Soft Proofing" in Photoshop to make final adjustments to the image. Soft proofing uses the print profile to emulate the results on paper.</p>

<p>Paul, just so you know that the Monaco Optix Ez color was and still not really good at producing decent icc profile.. maybe it will be best to stop using it, and get the profile from Ilford directly on there web site.</p>

<p>And it is not a good thing to make your monitor look like your home print, or make the monitor look like your print.. i mean, if you intend to always use your own stuff and NEVER send it out.. it is a ok method. But just so you know that you could end up with again, print / monitor problem doing so if you decide to print outside.</p>

<p>As for the own do you tweak and how Monaco work.. i cant help in that department, and i suggest you call the monaco (now xrite i think) service departement if they still offer phone support for this product.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The screen to print match is not acceptable to me. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>But is the issue the output profile (probably because EZ doesn’t build great profiles) or the display calibration or a bit of both? And the match needs to be based on an image being soft proofed too. See: <br />http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Paul, thanks for asking the question. This has been a mystery to me as well, and it has limited my willingness to try different papers. I've asked the question before, but never got sufficient answers to feel like jumping into it.</p>

<p>I seem to be on the "no answer track" as well Steve. For those above, thanks, but I understand all of that stuff. I need to know how to tweek Monaco EZ Color printer profiles. I will check out the Luminous Landscape link. Steve, I tried to get ahold of B Sanford, but he is down in the Steens until Sunday. I am guessing he will have the answer.<br>

As far as downloading profiles from Ilford, or any other paper type, my Monaco generated profiles are always better.</p>

<p>Poor quality profile editing is a waste of time. There are (expensive) profile editors out there. They are primarily useful for editing what is called cross rendering (make my Epson match a press sheet) where you are trying to nail the proof closer to the final. And the tweaks are usually tiny. </p>

<p>Profiles have two sets of tables. One affects the output, one affects the preview (soft proof). Decent editors allow you to control one or both. Imagine that the issue is the soft proof (output is good, but doesn’t match the display due to this table). If you don’t have control over how you edit the tables, you affect BOTH. Deal breaker. </p>

<p>The answer is probably now what you want to hear. Don’t edit poor profiles, build ones that produce good tables in both directions. Edit in only special cases (cross rendering) and use a product that provides sufficient control (meaning $$). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p><em><strong>As far as downloading profiles from Ilford, or any other paper type, my Monaco generated profiles are always better.</strong></em></p>

<p>kkind of funny since you just said earlier <em><strong>" The screen to print match is not acceptable to me."</strong></em></p>

<p>just saying.... ; )</p>

<p>maybe you can try it just in case you have a surprise.. or use a good place to create you a profile so you can compare what YOU create vs what THEY create.. it is something i would do myself .. for 25$ or so to comfirm if im OK or not is nothing.</p>

<p>Patrick, my Monaco print profiles have always been better than anything I have ever downloaded. That doesn't mean they have always been perfect, just better than downloads.<br>

Hello, anybody out there that can take me through the "Edit Print Profile" function in Monaco??I have a Nec P221w monitor totally calibrated out with the included calibration hardware and software. Right now my screen is at 6500K, 100 luminescence, 2.2 gamma and 300:1 contrast. Suggestions? I am trying to calibrate Ilford Gold Fiber Silk on an Epson R2880. Please, no recommendations on a different paper. I like this one. I am close to getting the print correct, but the logic of the “Edit Print Profile” escapes me after the first correction. That’s where I need the help.</p>

<p>Paul:</p>

<p>A few years ago, I wanted to check the accuracy of the Walgreens printer, so I employed a little trickery that may help you here. </p>

<p>Take a photograph of anything, but put a grey card in it. Make the card prominent, over half the image. In your editing software, pull up the image and use the grey card to color balance it. Then print it up. Tape the picture to a piece of cardboard or something to make it stiff. </p>

<p>Now lay the picture of the grey card up against something to hold it up, and set the actual grey card next to it. Then take a picture of both of them together. Pull up this second image in your editing software. Use the portion of the image representing the actual card to color balance the image, then check the color balance of the portion of image representing the photograph. ( sound confusing? ) So if the photograph part contains too little red, you must add red. If the photograph part contains too much blue, you must remove some blue. </p>

<p>Then make adjustments to your printer and repeat the exercise. When both parts of your second photograph have the same color balance, your printer is printing correctly. </p>

<p>Bob </p>