Canon Light Meter Angle

edo_t

<p>Hey guys, I was wondering what the light meter angle is on my Canon 40D when spot metering, does anyone know? I have searched but can't seem to find the answer anywhere.</p>

<p>If we can we should make a list for all EOS models if possible, that would really help people out there who want to get technical when shooting, or practicing psuedo zoning technique in the field.</p>

<p>~Edo</p>

<p>Edo,<br>

According to the Canon 40d manual, the spot meter measures approximately 3.8% of the viewfinder area, primarily around the center focusing point. You can find this on page 92 and page 183 of the manual. The manual does not mention, however, a viewing angle – just the percentage.<br>

Steven</p>

<p>If you look up the lens specs, it should give you the angle of view of the lens. For zooms, I'm fairly certain they give the range. You might have to do a little estimating, but you should be able to work out something fairly close with that info.</p>

<p>I'm curious about what use you are going to make of this angular coverage data. We don't generally know the angle of coverage of our lenses without looking up the specs, and in the field that info is not generally useful.</p>

<p>How will you use this angle of coverage data?</p>

<p><Chas></p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hey Charles, I want to do it so that I can meter. The whole idea was generated when talking about spot meters with a friend, I figured I don't need one if i can figure the angle of the spot meter to get dead on accurate. obviously i can just keep taking multiple exposures, but I was trying to apply a fundamental element of film photography (ie zoning) and apply it to digital in order to save time when taking a photo.</p>

<p>And tighter angles make more accurate meters. So, in the end, I guess it is just curiosity!</p>

<p>hah!</p>

<p>~Edo</p>