Sunrise at Bluffers Park

<p>Some time ago I offered Rob Holz to develop a BW film that he had sitting for a couple of years. We met one day I took the film and processed as I usually do in D-76 dil 1:1.<br>

Rob mentioned to me that he went to watch the sunrise at the Bluffers Park on Lake Ontario and he actually sent me a nice color picture next day. I emailed him back suggesting going together Sat morning so he can show me the place and take some pictures. Bluffers Park was one of the places on my target list that I never got to see.<br>

I decided to take my Hasselblad loaded with two different films: one back with Kodak Plus X-125 and one back with Ilford Pan F-50 and also a 35mm camera where I can mount a 24mmm lens. Pentax Spotmatic was my first choice but the 24 mm Super Takumar was acting too slow telling me that it is in need of a CLA. I checked my 24mm Canon FD and it worked perfect so Canon FTB was my second companion.<br>

I woke up Sat morning at 4:30 AM and I drove 50min to the Bluffers Park. It was still dark when I met Rob in the parking lot, we drank our coffees and walked to the shore.<br>

I started shooting as soon as the shadows on the rocks measured 3EV, sun was still under the horizon but the sky became brighter. We were not alone, two gentlemen with big digital cameras joined us and I remember laughing inside when I heard one of them shooting the sunrise with 6 frames/ sec. Hei, what do I know…<br>

Here are few of the pictures I took with the Hasselblad 500 C/M and 50mm Distagon, Kodak Plus X-125 developed in Thorton two bath for 3min50 sec each. Why? Because I run out of D-76. This was an experiment in the sense that I prepared this developer about one year ago and never used it. I knew it has a very long shelf time so I took a chance and I’m happy I did.</p><div>00YXw5-346983684.jpg.d8eb83e44a29d1f2f86821caef81a56b.jpg</div>

<p>We moved on a second location at about 30 meters above the beach that offers a breathtaking view of the bay and marina. I changed the back and shot Ilford Pan F. I have not developed the film yet. I will make a separate post if anything good comes out of that film. Rob told me there are couple more places east of the Bluffers Park that are worth exploring. Waking up at 4AM definitely takes a toll on me but I loved every minute of our photo-shoot and will go back.<br>

I hope I managed to convey the real mood and beauty of this place.</p>

<p>Now that's a great experience,<em> and</em> some fine images, <strong>Mihai</strong>. As a perpetual early-riser, I've accumulated quite a few sunrise shots over the years, and it's a great time to be out and about. Coffee never tastes better...You certainly captured the serenity of the moment, and it was great that you could share it with Rob. Thanks for sharing it all with us!</p>

<p>Very nice images.<br>

I especially like the first one. In particular, the range is closer to what our eyes would see. And (surprisingly) for me B&W looks a lot more real than most hyper-colorful sunrise images made in color.</p>

<p>Cliff - thanks; I don't mind at all. I actually wanted to take another shot of him but he moved away fast.<br>

Subbrayan - thanks; you have no idea how bad I crave for more time to experiment, go out to shoot and post. Fortunately I still have a day job that I need to keep me on course.<br>

Gene - yes, you know the drill: shoot for the shadows and develop for the highlights. It works.<br>

thank you all for your kind comments.</p>

<p>The first one is my favorite, Mihai, where the sun just barely peeks over the waterline. Very nice contrasting textures between the lines in the sand and the slightly motion-blurred waves. <br>

Fishing and photography are more fun when you have a good friend along.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well Done ! I like the amount of detail you got in the sand and the highlights are nice and crisp to the 24mm shot is later mut retains also a good balance shooting directly into the sun.. amazing what one has to resort to when the tried and true isnn't immediately to hand ..nice way to insure you try other developing schemes. I tii have/am a devotee of D76 1:1 I can't afford the Plus-X but it was my film of choice. I now shoot an off-brand (Legacy Pro?) purported to be Fuji Acros which I just love in 120. I think it's great that people nearby hook up!</p>