Leica MP body with 75mm lens. What backup body?

<p>I'm asking this for a friend. He has a Leica MP with a 75mm lens (he also has a 35mm and 24mm). What backup body would work well with this combination if he needs a body that has aperture priority? He really likes the Zeiss Ikon but isn't sure if the lack of 75mm brightlines would make it impossible to work with.</p>

<p>The only ones I can think of are:</p>

<p>Leica M7.... great but very expensive as a backup body.<br>

Zeiss Ikon... great but does not have 75mm brightlines.... can it still work?<br>

Minolta CLE... nice size and with a lot of automation, but I think the brightlines may be an issue<br>

Voigtlander? ... don't know much about these bodies.</p>

M7 or R2A appear to be the only cameras that meet his criteria.

M6's don't have aperture priority. The Bessa is a great little handling camera, easy

to hold with one hand, nice ergonomics. It's just not nearly as durable as

an M7. I would stay away from the CLE.. too long in the tooth.

<p>The 75mm won't bring up the Zeiss Ikon 85mm frameline anyhow. It will bring up the 50. So if going with the ZM, I think the 75mm aux. finder is the way to go. I have one, and don't consider it a hardship to have to use. In fact, I use it in preference to the built-in 75 framelines on M6, M7, and MP.</p>

<p>I just sold mine. but the Bessa T equipped with the 75mm VF is a nice second body, especially as it has (with its 1.5X magnification), one of the most accurate rangefinders around. Otherwise I too would go for the R3a and its aperture priority if shutter sound is not important (the Bessa T is not that quiet either). The Hexar RF camera is a beaut and reasonable in price, but a little questionable for future repairs I would guess.</p>

<p>Tag2: I have the Bessa T w/75mm auxilliary finder for the 75mm lens as well. It is slower to use due to workflow for me. Sharp focus & metering & cheap, but slower workflow with a tele. With a WA lens, it rocks! Thus, the R3a body was added. The R3a is NOT built as the M7 in terms of durability, but I am assuming we are talking about a 2nd body - not a dedicated body. The R3a may only last a couple decades vs the M7/MP lasting several more . . . :-)</p>

<p>Why does such an excellent camera needs a backup?</p>

<p>Anyway, I'd choose for an other MP, probably with a different view finder magnification: then all buttons will work identic and the camera will have the samfeeling. This in contrast to a M6, of which the shutter dial goes the other way around. Using both cameras at once might be confusing during its usage. Actually, I prefer to a have the M6 just because of its shutter dial: its larger and more logical in combination with the meter indication in the viewer.</p>

<p>With respects, Gerber is (partially) incorrect. The M6 classic has identical controls to that of an MP; the M6TTL shutter dial turns the opposite way.</p>

<p>That being said, I would opt for an M6 classic, which can be had, like new, for less than a Zeiss Ikon (by far an inferior camera IMHO), whose only 'user' differentiation from the MP will be the RW knob.</p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<p> If someone is likely to pony up the $ for another MP, then they should buy an M7 instead. After all, the buying criteria was AP automation. And if auto exposure is a desired characteristic, then the MP may eventually become the back-up body. Either way, there will be no compromises regarding quality or durability.</p>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5915478">Paul Keller</a> <a href="../member-status-icons"></a>, Apr 12, 2011; 01:51 a.m.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If someone is likely to pony up the $ for another MP, then they should buy an M7 instead. After all, the buying criteria was AP automation. And if auto exposure is a desired characteristic, then the MP may eventually become the back-up body. ...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's precisely what I did. I had an MP and bought an M7 as a back-up. After using the M7 the MP soon became the back-up. This remained the case until I took the leap into digital with the purchase of an M8; I haven't used film since.</p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<p>Why does he need aperture priority, is he shooting slides? If not I'd say don't bother, I had two M7s and replaced them with two MPs and my exposures are more accurate with the MPs. I also use 75, 35 and 24mm lenses and I have a 0.85x mag MP for the 75 and a 0.72x mag MP for the 35 and 24. So I'm with Gerber, get two identical MP bodies with magnifications suitable for the lens range and you'll have ease of use and backup covered.</p>