Epson R2880 + CS5 + Mac OS X 10.6.7

<p>Following on from the 2 threads below</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00XShU</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Y7BY</p>

<p>Since installing CS5 I cannot access ABW mode either via "photoshop mange colours" or "printer manages colours"</p>

<p>Short of doing a complete system reinstall and or uninstalling CS5 and reinstalling CS3 what can I do?</p>

<p>All of my printer drivers are up to date as is my OS.</p>

<p>How can Epson allow such a fundamental error? I bought my R2880 for it's amazing B&W capabilities but as of late I am forced to use it as a colour only printer. When working in a RGB coour space and outputting B&W images via the printer through "photoshop manages colours" with the relevant Ilford profile assigned I am back to the old days of a subtle but unwanted colour cast. Yuck!</p>

<p>suggestions?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>George</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Mac?<br>

You need to reset the printer system*. Then install the Epson software and DO NOT let Apple update the Epson drivers in its System Update area in System preferences.</p>

<p>*reset by control-clicking on the list of printers in P&F will do this. Then click the + button and reload the 2880 driver. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Hi Rodney,</p>

<p>thanks for the response. Yes Mac.</p>

<p>I have done as you instructed before I posted with no luck. As mentioned in one of the earlier posts - the Apple drivers are rather persistent. Short of a system reinstall they seem to over-ride the Epson driver.</p>

<p>Please find a screen shot attached of my "system preferences - software updates - installed software" dialogue box.</p>

<p>Would you know which one is the culprit and for some reason OS 10.6.7 does not seem to offer any means of deactivating these after they are installed?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>After you install the actual Epson stuff, you can tell System Preferences>Software Update to ignore any updates in the list which is what I’d do for anything Apple wants to install. The issue is the software Apple is updating here. You should not have to do a system reinstall. But you do need to get every trace of the Apple/Epson driver stuff off the machine then install the Epson driver from their web site, then never let Apple update any printer software in the future. </p>

<p>If you haven't done it lately, I'd do the Epson-Apple driver fix hocus pocus which is to delete all instances of Epson printers from System Preferences>Print & Fax.<br /><br />Then go to /Library/Printers and toss the whole Epson folder.<br /><br />Toss LFP Remote Panel (IF you are using this utility for your printer).<br /><br />Then reinstall drivers.<br /><br />When you go back to Print & Fax to add the printer, on 10.6 I had to wait almost a minute before the IP version of the printer showed up, whereas the Bonjour one shows up right away. Then add the IP instance of the printer. This is for printers on a network.<br /><br />Then re-install LFP Remote Panel if you use it with this printer.<br>

NOTE: IF you have more than one Epson printer, you need to install the driver in the order of their release! Older then newer or you run into issues (eg, install 4800 before you’d install 3880). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>thanks Rodney,</p>

<p>I can see that this isn't the most popular of topics. </p>

<p>I have done the "Epson-Apple driver fix hocus pocus" on a number of occasions already without any luck.</p>

<p>Your mention of Library/Printer/Epson folder is no where to be found on my HD. I have a complete search of my HD and the instances of Epson are relatively few and nothing under any library file structure. Could you please be more specific as to what and where this folder could actually be?</p>

<p>Thank you Andrew. Your suggestions finally resolve the difficulty that I described in my two forum threads referenced by George. I think that it is worth emphasizing that (1) uncheck "downloads start automatically" in "Software Update" under System Preferences, (2) after removing the Epson printer in System Preferences and removing the Epson folder in Library/Printers, install the Epson driver, Epson.13525, dated 10/28/09 from the Epson site and then, (3) install the Epson update, Epson.14179 dated 3/10/11, then (4) go to System Preferences, click +, and add the R2880 driver (which should come up in the dialog box). When printing from Photoshop, the printer dialog box is now different than what it used to be, with Advanced B&W features listed under "Printer Features" and ABW toning under "Feature Set 3" (I am not sure what happened to the toning color wheel that used to be present; was it eliminated?).</p>

<p>thanks Glenn.</p>

<p>I wish I had the same level of success as yourself. I have done what you and Rodney have suggested BUT when I have reinstalled the R2880 after the updates the print utility refuses to work and therefore I am unable to read supply levels. I have a attached a screen shot of the warning that comes up.</p>

<p>I did however have the possibility of seeing the new print dialogue box and I can see the ABW mode is not greyed out but it makes no sense to me.</p>

<p>Where is the toning colour wheel?</p>

<p>What is all this "feature set 1 - 9"? It seems completely illogical from where I'm sitting.</p>

<p>George. Unfortunately, you are correct about not being able to read supply levels. I hadn't noticed that before. I do not find the color wheel either, although I was able to print. I may go back to using the old Apple driver with "printer manages color" for ABW or toning within Photohop, both of which seemed to work fine. Perhaps Andrew can shed some light on this?</p>

<p>I can see ink levels from the 6.6.0 Epson Status (Open Printer Utility). Then select Epson StatusMonitor. </p>

<p>Toning Color wheel in ABW? Still there for me too. In Advanced Color Settings (after selecting Advanced B&W)</p>

<p>This is extremely strange.</p>

<p>After numerous attempts to follow (both) your tips I was forced to do a Mac OS reinstall. It seems in the process of all this deleting, reinstalling etc etc something got messed up in my HD/Library/Printers/Epson file structure. After the reinstall I reset my printing system and installed the following .dmg from the Epson website 13628</p>

<p>The result = back to the great old print dialogue box. Utility works fine, colour wheel is back and ABW mode functions perfect again! Very happy this morning.</p>

<p>Please note. I have disabled my auto update option in my system preferences and I will be avoiding all Epson updates via software update until I hear that it is corrected?</p>