My first week with the X100

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Bob, do you have any pictures you took with it? All this bickering and people seem to have lost the point! Let's see what it can do! How do you find the lens renders? What is it like using the OVF with an LCD overlay? I am like Alex in that I am curious how it compares to the Hexar AF. That is a camera which has a utility and charm that belies its technical spec sheet. It just is a pleasure to use and makes great images. My hope would be that the X100 is similar in a digital way. Having read the LL article, I suspect that the menu frustrations would not really get to me...I tend to set up the camera one way and leave it...I am wondering how other photographers more like me have found it...</p>

<p>Agree with Stuart- let's see some pics! People seem to be very sensitive on this thread. I am afraid to say what I think - but here goes: I will wait 6 months on this one and if the price comes down I may go for it . Oh oh - that must mean I think it's too expensive...</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Some photos would be interesting. There are some good shots on LL. They are good as photographs and good as demonstrations of what the X-100 can do. </p>

<p>After 20 plus years I love my aging Hexar AF. I imagine I would love this camera too. I try the Hexar AF has a highly advanced point and shoot. I would no doubt treat the X-100 the same way. I if not a Leica. </p>

<p>Strange to say, this thread has got me interested in the Leica X-100, which I never was before.</p>

<p>I would like a small rangefinder I suppose. I would want it to be manual focus, a tight center weighted meter, no video. No live view. Optical viewfinder with easily obtained diopter eyepieces.. I would want it to shoot film since my hobby is B/W film. It would accept interchangeable lenses. Anyway this one does not meet my needs. To me the little camera should cost $299.00 on the top side so for the real and current price I would not buy it for a gift.</p>

<p>I will try and post some images this weekend...a hectic job schedule and two boys under 10 yrs...life gets in the way at times.<br>

I guess I'm a little taken aback by all the negativity expressed here (along with the people who see the value of this camera).<br>

Where for $1000 can you get a quality metal viewfinder camera (with a finder every bit as good as the Hexar or Voigtlanders)...13mp, APS-C sensor...oh, you can't, at any price.<br>

But these were the same people who didn't see the value of the Hexar A/F when it came out. I had one and remember being told:<br>

"you paid too much" (about $650 in 1998)<br>

"It's no Leica" (wasn't meant to be)<br>

All the same sentiments expressed here. Yet two years later it was a cult classic that couldn't be kept in stock and was going for $700 used.<br>

The world is full of naysayers it appears. But I don't think you'll find as discreet a street camera, that is as intuitive to use (meaning honest to god aperture ring and shutter dial), that is truly pocketable and has the low light performance and resolution this camera has, at just over $1000.<br>

Anyhoo...yes, the writer at Luminous Landscape brings up some valid points. The manual focus is terrible (exactly as it was on the Hexar). There are some quirks in the menu that, as he says can be addressed with firmware updates. And anyone familiar with Fuji S series DSLR's knows that one thing Fuji is good at is providing firmware updates when there is a valid need.<br>

Everything falls easily to hand when you are shooting. Even the complaint about the menu system being a little quirky...like loading film into an M6 isn't ;-)<br>

But, if like me you're idea of street shooting is going out to capture the moment, as it happens...and not about whether it is a 'Velvia or Provia' moment...or whether it requires a tweek in the dynamic range...then the camera is ideal. The shutter dial falls easily under your trigger finger and the aperture ring is cradled between your fingers...exposure challenges are handled in an instant. <br>

And a big plus over the Hexar is that when using the optical finder, for an instant you get a confirmation in the viewfinder...for a brief instant you get a playback of the image. With the Hexar it was all to easy, when focusing and recomposing to find that you actually caught the ear instead of the eyes...that sort of thing. But with the Hexar you of course didn't find that until you got the film back. Having this confirmation is the next best thing in my mind to having a true rangefinder patch that you know you've placed over the eyes.<br>

Yup...I'm heartily singing the praises of this camera, just as I did with the original Hexar. And just as with the Hexar, I notice that those who are all pooh-poohing it have never actually touched one...let along shot with it.</p>

<p>Picked up up an X100 last Saturday and used it alongside an M Leica a few hours later while photographing at a political event. Am very impressed with this little camera and the results it produces. What makes it more than anything is the optical viewfinder. I've used M Leicas, and lots of other cameras since the late sixties so have looked through viewfinders more than most people. If Leica had put a finder like this in the X1 it would certainly have helped sales. With the beeps turned off this is one of the quietest cameras I've ever used, perfect for discreet shooting. Several times while using the X-100 I had to chimp to make sure the shot had been recorded, it was that silent. <br>

Am presently in the planning stage for some more travel in Asia and had been looking for a small digital to round out my Leica film gear. Why didn't I pick an M9? Don't think I didn't consider it, several points kept me away. While I could afford the cost of an M9 body the thought of having to replace my wide glass was too much. The 21mm Super Angulon is reported to not work very well on the M9 sensor because it protrudes so deeply into the body, it also doesn't meter very well for the same reason. My old pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux would need to have metal machined off the rear shroud to even make it mount. The lack of adequate sealing and possibility of dust entering during lens changes was another strike against the M9. Dust removal in DSLRs using sensor shaking is now the norm, will it be a feature on the M10? <br>

The X-100 isn't perfect, no camera ever is, that's why you need several different systems to cover all the bases. Am sure some things will get fixed with software updates, others will have to wait for the next model to come out. One thing I'm sure of is that other makers will be watching Fujis success and taking note. Expect to see more compact cameras with this type of viewfinder in the future. I expect Fuji will working overtime to come up with the next version of the camera. I don't think it will be interchangeable lens, but could be wrong. Not having a focal plane shutter complicates things a bit. What I'm guessing is a fixed zoom lens, something like a 35-90mm, perhaps a bit slower than the present f/2. I also expect they'll produce an all black ninja version before long, wait and see........</p>

<p>Picked up up an X100 last Saturday and used it alongside an M Leica a few hours later while photographing at a political event. Am very impressed with this little camera and the results it produces. What makes it more than anything is the optical viewfinder. I've used M Leicas, and lots of other cameras since the late sixties so have looked through viewfinders more than most people. If Leica had put a finder like this in the X1 it would certainly have helped sales. With the beeps turned off this is one of the quietest cameras I've ever used, perfect for discreet shooting. Several times while using the X-100 I had to chimp to make sure the shot had been recorded, it was that silent. <br>

Am presently in the planning stage for some more travel in Asia and had been looking for a small digital to round out my Leica film gear. Why didn't I pick an M9? Don't think I didn't consider it, several points kept me away. While I could afford the cost of an M9 body the thought of having to replace my wide glass was too much. The 21mm Super Angulon is reported to not work very well on the M9 sensor because it protrudes so deeply into the body, it also doesn't meter very well for the same reason. My old pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux would need to have metal machined off the rear shroud to even make it mount. The lack of adequate sealing and possibility of dust entering during lens changes was another strike against the M9. Dust removal in DSLRs using sensor shaking is now the norm, will it be a feature on the M10? <br>

The X-100 isn't perfect, no camera ever is, that's why you need several different systems to cover all the bases. Am sure some things will get fixed with software updates, others will have to wait for the next model to come out. One thing I'm sure of is that other makers will be watching Fujis success and taking note. Expect to see more compact cameras with this type of viewfinder in the future. I expect Fuji will working overtime to come up with the next version of the camera. I don't think it will be interchangeable lens, but could be wrong. Not having a focal plane shutter complicates things a bit. What I'm guessing is a fixed zoom lens, something like a 35-90mm, perhaps a bit slower than the present f/2. I also expect they'll produce an all black ninja version before long, wait and see........</p>

<div>00YWAG-345493584.jpg.96fb0b1c86d47693c545e14249ee0010.jpg</div>

<p>Seriously, Bob, why get offended so easily. This is a public forum. As much as you like to sing to the X100, I have a right not to. I was not even that negative...all I said was it's overpriced and it shouldn't be compared to m43 which many here agree in case you haven't noticed. FWIW, the Hexar AF is probably the last film camera I sell, I like it that much...Naysayer? Come on, Puulease! I didn't know I must like all leica and leicalike cameras to participate here. Furthermore, since you are an artist, you must understand different point of views, speaking one's mind, and going against the grain sort of speak etc... </p>

<p>I'm all for you showing some pics, let's see what you and the x100 can do. Must be selfish of you to not show them just because of me, one participant in a public forum, right? For everyone elses here, let's see them...</p>

<p> </p>

<p> Camera's appeal to people or they do not. For someone that thinks this little camera is the answer to their needs it could be worth a lot. To another person like myself it does not have a place. However I am sure it will take nice pics for the person that would want one. </p>

<p>Hi Leslie,</p>

<p>India for sure, and hopefully a few of the surrounding countries. Spent a lot of time traveling with a Leica during the seventies and have a fancy to do it again. Won't be going to Afghanistan this time, wouldn't feel safe wandering down back alleys and bazaars like I did close to forty years ago. <br /> In 1970 I went to India and Nepal for the first time with a pair of M4s and 21-50-90 glass. <br /> Later trips during 1971,72,73,76,77 were with Barnacks and 35-50-90mm lenses. I liked the compactness of the LTM cameras and their low cost. A used 3g with Elmar back then was $125, if you got robbed it would be less to loose.<br /> Then in 2005 after many years traveling other areas I was back to see the South of India, an area I'd missed earlier. For camera gear I left the Leicas home and regretted it. I'd gotten rid of all the Barnacks and my babies the M4s were in bad need of a CLA. Ended up taking a little Canon c330 P&S, true minimalist, only 2MP. My galleries here on PN are full of images from these trips.</p>

<p>Am hoping to produce a book with matching photos, shot about forty years apart in time, some with the same camera and lens. The M4s are freshly CLA'ed and now up to the job. It certainly would have been neat to use an M9 for backup rather than the X-100, but the dollar difference pays for the trip.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Glenn S., you actually bought an X-100?! You said it so nonchalantly I had to do a double take. Anyway, I am impressed with the image quality. I might pop on down to the old camera store today and see if there are an X-100s to pick up. </p>

<p>I don't impress easily these days, but thanks to this thread, chicken fights notwithstanding, I am really and truly impressed enough to consider the X-100. </p>

<p>Folks,</p>

<p>If you want to argue about stuff, by all means, do so. As long as you stay within the general bounds of common decency and the site's guidelines, have at it.</p>

<p>But posting private emails on a public forum as a way to continue an argument is not going to happen here.</p>

<p>I have deleted the "email" posts and replies relating to them.</p>

<p>If you feel that someone is harassing you through photo.net, you are free to contact me via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.</p>

<p>But in general, I am not the email police. Everyone here is an adult and should know how to handle this sort of thing on their own. Crappy email isn't a "photo.net" issue. We've all gotten (and probably sent) mean spirited emails in the past completely independent of photo.net. There has to be a fairly serious history or example of malice before I would do anything like banning someone just based on email conversations.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Everyone here is an adult...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Josh, I understand the policy and I think you did the right thing. But I don't think that everyone here is behaving like an adult. I think it is pretty childish to complain about negativity and then call someone ignorant just because they have a different point of view (ie they think your camera is overpriced - or shall we say a bad value). </p>