NEW Pentax 600mm f4

stemked

<p>Howdy All.</p>

<p> I just heard about the new Pentax 600mm f4 and I was wondering if anyone else head anything about it. Is it like the old F/FA series or is it going to be a new design that is 'digital only'? The F/FA lens was a monster , but had the closest focus of the then 'big three.<br>

Anyway, start collecting those pennies....</p>

<p>A new 600mm f4?!? I would expect it to exceed the tonnage of my left leg. I would have been much happier with the announcement of a new 400mm f5.6, or a high quality 1.4x teleconverter to go with the 300mm f4.</p>

<p>Very fast for 600mm. Truly a pro lens, and mainly so, as well as for advanced enthusiasts with specialized interests in long tele shooting who can afford one. I am sure the price will accordingly reflect its attributes. </p>

<p>It is great to see a super-long tele lens of such high caliber emerge from Pentax! I agree regarding the ongoing shortcoming of lacking TC availability for Pentax. I don't know what Tamron could be thinking by discontinuing theirs for Pentax. It seems to perform quite satisfactorily with most Pentax lenses where a TC is appropriate. If Tamron would bring it back into production, seems like it would sell, now that Pentax has regained such a broad lens lineup. And it should go well with their own 70-200mm f/2.8 in the Pentax mount. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>it's going to feature in-lens optical stabilization</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have to laugh. The hub-bub on the Canon rumor sites is just pathetic. They claim that a) Pentax is being hypocritical in suddenly shifting to lens-based IS after bad-mouthing this older approach used by Canon and Nikon; and b) that Pentax ripped off Canon's patented technology to make this happen.</p>

<p>As if these folks have a need to be purchasing this lens anyway!</p>

<p>ME</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>b) that Pentax ripped off Canon's patented technology to make this happen.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p> If it's a rip-off, it was Nikon who ripped them off first. Pentax is licensing their VR II module. Just goes to show all the hatred--they'll let Nikon skate on by for many years but if it's lowly <em>Pentax </em>that's "wronging" them, all hell breaks loose. No respect. Besides, most of us know this technology was initially developed in the 1970's in Kodak's research labs but never released commercially (who apparently resisted it because it would mean they'd have to add batteries to their cameras).</p>

<p>Most lenses in this category are so bulky and heavy, that they are invariably used on a tripod. So I do not see the need for lens-based stabilization in such a lens as this, unless it is newly designed compact enough for hand-held shooting!! If so (and I find this hard to imagine, even when cut down to aps size) then I presume the combo of in-camera and lens based systems together may be needed to effectively deal with such a long focal length. </p>

<p>To my knowledge, no one bad-mouthed Canon or Nikon having lenses with stabilization. Canon was first to offer stabilization for SLR use. Just that an in-camera system is more versatile and can accommodate all of one's lenses, including older ones. Both systems have their advantages, as in-lens stabilization can apparently be optimized for the properties of that lens. </p>

<p><em>"In-lens optical stabilization is so that it is compatible with Canikon bodies."</em><br>

Pentax optics are often shared with Tokina, who are both owned by Hoya. So it's more likely that Hoya licensed it for use in Tokina lenses, and Pentax gets it for free.<em> <br /></em></p>

• 9 months later...