Nikon D3100 vs Nikon D5000 in terms of image quality and handling.

hassan_jamil

<p>Image quality should be essentially the same. The 3100 is indeed a small camera....but not sure if an accessory grip is available, but certainly would help if you have large hands. I have shot with a 3000 in the past, I have large hands and it really didn't bother me too much, but now I shot sports and found that the D90 works better for me for many reasons. However, I would suggest that you try to find a camera store to see how it feels for you. Either camera you mentioned are fine units.....I am sure you know the differences between them. The moveable monitor on the 5000 is intruiging to me. You can't go wrong with either one. Also consider what your type of photography is...sometimes having a smaller body is an advantage because you will tend to take it with you more often....(hiking, biking, travelling etc.) getting shots that you normally wouldn't......... Lets face it, the best camera that money can buy is worthless if you don't use it!<br>

Have Fun!<br>

Mark</p>

I have large hands and a compact Nikon D3000. I find it no more difficult to hold than my old Minolta SLR film cameras. I do wish there was more body to the left of the lens but that is just because I think it looks a bit odd not having the lens in the center of the camera.

If you do go to a photo shop and try the different cameras, buy it there. Too many small shops are going out of business because people go to them, look at cameras, ask a lot of questions and then leave to buy the camera on line to save a few dollars. Then they have the nerve to come back with their bought-on-line camera to ask for more free advice about it.

James G. Dainis

<p>I have a D90 which has the same sensor (I believe) as the D5000 and a D3100. The IQ is similar, except that the D3100 has a little less noise at ISO 3200 and 6400. This may be due to its newer sensor and processor. As to the handling, you'll have to judge that yourself.</p>

<p>I have a D90 which has the same sensor (I believe) as the D5000 and a D3100<br>

Nope, not entirely : the D3100 has a 14.2 mpx sensor, the D5000 has a 12.3 mpx sensor, the D90 also has 12.3 mpx sensor.<br>

The D3100 is indeed a relatively small cam. , like sugested before : i.d go to a shop and ask for the cams. to hold in your own hands .....<br>

b.t.w. next week there may or may not ( its not official yet., so officially its a rumour....) also be a new D5100 as an additional possibel choise... </p>

<p>Another variable here is what lens you might be using, and whether you might use a hotshoe flash. Camera size & ergonomics become more important/obtrusive when camera balance is affected by larger lenses or a top-heavy flash. The accessory grips become much more valuable too.</p>

<p>Both are small, although the D3100 is a bit smaller. But I think the D3100 is better value.<br>

Better liveview (esp. autofocus), better video, and I'm no fan of the pop-out screen, and (in Aus at least) it is cheaper.<br>

Image quality appears to be similar.<br>

Here's a quick comparison on specs at dpreview (including dimensions)<br>

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=nikon_d3100&products=nikon_d5000</p>