YS mount adapter to Minolta MD coupling issue...

<p>Hi!<br>

Just got a YS mount adapter for my Minolta MD mount camera. Anyway, it is gonna be used on a Spiratone 18mm 3.5 lens that I picked up a while ago. After a good bit of research, I got the mounts switched and now it mounts and opens like it should on the camera. The only thing I don't get is the metering. Yes, I can turn the ring and select the aperture, but it does not meter. I know the mount has a contrarotating setup (it had a Nikon adapter before, and it seems to be backwards), so while I can line up the tab that would move the little lever on the camera body, turning the aperture ring is not moving the little tab on the adapter itself. Hope that makes sense. I don't know if I'm missing a lever or anything. The lens originally had a bolted on bracket for metering with the little Nikon tab/post. <br>

Any suggestions?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I had a monster zoom lens with a Minolta YS adapter. I disabled the pin(without gluing or breaking) on the lens and chose to use various T mounts so that the lens could be used on several different SLR. As I remember the minolta mount had a arc shaped attachment with a tab that couples to the metering tab on Minolta body. The arc shaped device was held in place by two tiny machine screws. I may still have the mount somewhere but it may be incomplete. The lens is long gone, seems like it was a 55 to 200 Polaris f4.5?</p>

<p>The Y-S mount was developed before cameras had TTL metering and needed meter-coupled lenses.<br>

There were only a few cameras where it was possible to meter-couple a Y-S mount lens. The aperture ring had to progress in the right direction, and have the right spacing between stops. Paul's strip may not be exactly right, since the meter coupling prong tells the camera the number of stops from wide open that is selected. They may have used a different strip for each maximum aperture -- or maybe the holes in the aperture ring are located relative to full aperture, rather than some fixed aperture. You want the peg on the strip to "just engage" the aperture follower on the camera's lens mount when the lens is wide open. It will then push it further as you stop down the lens.</p>

<p>right the YS adapter spiratone rokunar epsiklon<br>

and most likely made by Sigma were before mosr of the TTL Coupled meters<br>

My canon FD adapter ( never used) is Klugy and requires a part to be unscrewed. NOT JUST THE ADAPTER.<br>

the Nikon mount is better but most do not have the AI fork.<br>

My miranda sensorex works fine as it is an externally coupled match pointer camera with a dial to set max aperture.<br>

I think the Minolta YS is only up to the minolta MC level and not the MD.<br>

I think the pentax K adapter ( hard to filnd) would work on my K mount cameras.<br>

as the system is different. M42 will work but all cameras except a few are stop down metering<br>

. I think some of the Chinons ( or is it cosina?) have metering at the moment of exposure and a simple YS adapter would work.<br>

I have three YS lenses and a AE-1 ( fd) and two K mounts One a match-pointer and the other auto.<br>

but the ys lenses get used on the Miranda bodies.<br>

Some YS lenses had an auto- manual Slider. I had to exchange one as it did not have the switch.<br>

It is not a TTL issue, it is a camera functionality issue.</p>