EF-S 10-22 mm vs. Third party lens

gpsbrar

Dear All,

I am naive to DSLR photography, am pursuing it as my hobby. The motivating factors are beautiful landscape of Arizona, where I live,

and kids. Love to capture every moment of theirs. I have Canon T2i and following lens:

EF-S 18-55 mm (kit lens)

EF-S 55-250 mm (kit lens)

EF 50 mm f/1.8

EF 24-105 mm f/4L

I wanted to purchase a wide angle lens and am confused...which one to get. Some reviewers have rated Tokina 12-24 mm f/4 as very

good lens, and some consider 10-22 mm to be very useful and sharp lens. Sigma is another great option. I want to buy a good lens

that would last for a long time and on the same note is a user friendly lens. I'm not in to photo editing, therefore I rely on my

hardware. A honest and sincere advise will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Gurpreet.

<p>I think your problem will be that most of us have one of the lenses you are researching, and for the most part we'll think that one is great. I bought the EFS-10-22 a couple of years ago, and I enjoy using it a lot. It's a little soft way at the edges when you get all way down to 10mm, but not obnoxiously so. I'd recommend it. On the other hand, I've never used the Tokina, just read the comparisons.</p>

<p>I live in Arizona and want to take pictures in the Canyons and sometimes in tight indoors. One of my friends is big fan of Tokina 12-24 mm... I am new to photography and am concerned about the compatibility with the camera. I thought it might be a good idea to seek advise in the forum. Thank you Stephen and Matthew. </p>

<p>I sold the Canon to buy the Tokina 11-16 and was very happy with the switch. The Canon was relatively slow with changing aperture, had lots of distortion, blurry on the edges, and had worse CA than the Tokina, and is more expensive to boot. The Tokina actually has a relatively large image circle--set at 14.5 mm and up, it covers full frame and actually look pretty decent.<br>

You should try an ultrawide before you buy, though, as suggested above. I use it, but it is the most difficult lens to make an interesting picture with.</p>

<p>The Canon 10-22 was the first lens I bought several years ago soon after it first came out. It is my favourite lens particularly for indoor shots and of course scenery.<br>

If does extremely well on panoramic shots. I use camera in the portrait mode and join up the shots using Panorama Studio.</p>

<p>You can't go wrong with either Canon 10-22, Tokina 12-24 or Tokina 11-16. I own the 11-16 because I need the speed for indoor shots. For landscapes speed doesn't matter.<br>

Among other things Tokinas have better build quality and cost less, but they don't handle flares that well. Each lens has pros and cons but, again, they are all excellent products.</p>

<p>Dear Massimo,<br>

Can we control the flares with good polarizers though? and how about distortion at 11 mm. Is it too much or minimal?<br>

Thank you James, Lester, Daniel, Jeff and Massimo for your input. <br>

Regards,<br>

Gurpreet.</p>

<p>I can't answer about polarizers, since I don't use them sorry. I am not into landscapes. I love looking at landscapes, but I don't have the required attitude to shoot them :-).<br>

Distortion is very good for an UWA on the Tokina, but I don't expect Canon 10-22 to be that much worst, at least not from what I've read.</p>

<p>When I first started looking into UWA for the crop body, the EF-S 10-22 was considered the standard by which all other UWA bench against. Sharpness is one thing, it is its ability to control distortion on the sides and CA that makes it very good. Having said that, it is pricey for a non-L designated lens although it does have all the L-glass inside.<br>

I don't know about the 3rd party options. But the resale value for this lens is very good. After 3 yrs of used, I sold it for $50 less than what I got it for (brand new).</p>

<p>I have six Canon lenses and one Sigma lens. I have a 30D and 7 D cameras. The Sigma lens that I have is the 10-20 mm f4-5.6.. I have had this for a long time, and there is a new version of it on the market now I believe. I have been totally satisfied with its performance. At one time several of the photo mags from England rated it second to the Canon 10-22 among wide angle lenses. As one other writer here mentioned he does not use it frequently, nor do I. However when I am in a small village in Europe and cannot back up far enough with my Canon 17-55 to catch a shot, I pop on the Sigma lens. I have a polarizer filter on the lens most of the time. As I do with virtually all my lenses. I do remove it for any indoor shots, i.e. churches, castles etc. Take a look at it. Good luck with your search. </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Well guys,<br>

An update: I purchased this lens (Canon EF-S 10-22 mm) last year. Initially, I used it rarely, but recently I have been using it more often. It is an amazing lens, very sharp. I fell in love with this lens. <br>

Regards,<br>

Gurpreet. </p>