Scanned Fuji 400H negatives seem grainy

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm making a return to using film after a few years of messing around with a D80 and have a question about scanning negatives.<br>

I had a roll of Fuji 400H processed at a lab here in Hong Kong and the prints came out alright - nothing special in particular - I had the negs scanned as well and they look *very* grainy onscreen at anything over about 25% which I suppose would be roughly equivalent to the prints in size.<br>

Regardless of technique, I think enlargements by any means would look grainy.<br>

So, is it me or the film, or, that particular film?<br>

Looking forward to hearing back from someone.<br>

Thanks for reading.<br>

Regards,<br>

Spencer.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Guys,<br>

Thanks for the quick replies!<br>

The film was processed at a cheapo lab but were scanned at a pro lab: http://www.colorsix.com/ and the scans are 1200 x 1800.<br>

I've quickly opened a flickr account so that you can have a look at two samples.The shots are not processed in any other way - as you can see there is some grain!<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spenceri/5536346131/<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spenceri/5536924636/<br>

Thanks again for your help.<br>

Regards,<br>

Spencer.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well film has grain it's supposed to be there. Make some test prints and see how they look if the prints look fine then don't worry about it. If the prints are too grainy then consider if the scanning is the problem or if the film or film format is not suitable for the size prints you want to make.</p>

<p>I agree with Chris. Minilab scans that try to compensate for underexposure OR frames with a lot of black in them tend to be grainy and muddy looking like your first scan. Either get someone different to scan them with the right black level or adjust the scan at home in Photoshop. And of course avoid underexposure.</p>

<p>Underexposure, and even darker areas in a frame that is on the whole properly exposed, make the grain more visible. Combine that with typical minilab scans (did your pro lab merely run the film through a minilab scanner?) where the contrast is increased too much and there's too much sharpening and they will look grainy. But I suspect that you will find that in general 400-speed film has more grain than otherwise-comparable shots from your D80 have noise.</p>

<p>Commercial lab max resolution for a print is 300dpi. Higher resolution has little or no visual improvement to the average person at normal viewing distance. Divide your 1200x1800 scan by 300 and you get 4x6. Divide your scans by 8x10 print size and you get 150x180 which for most snapshots will be ok. <br>

Have the film scanned at the maximum resolution you plan to have prints made or the largest print size you want to be able to have printed. A 11x14 scanned for 300dpi print resolution will be 3300x4200dpi. Pro scans of this size get expensive, a dedicated 35mm film scanner that is capable of good quality scans pays for itself quickly.</p>

<p>Agreed with other posters - it is probably your lab. Our lab has two levels of 'entire roll' scanning. One is a 300 dpi 4x6 jpg, and the other is around a 300 dpi 8x12 tif. The tif scans take much longer (and thus cost much more), so most customers opt for the jpgs. Many minilabs work this way.</p>

<p>If it's a one-hour lab (and not a professional lab), there is also the very strong possibility that the film developing machine is out of calibration, or that the chemicals need to be replenished or even replaced. This could exaggerate your film grain and contrast, which the scanner would then pick up on.</p>

<p>In the 35mm format, pixel-peepers won't need to zoom in to 100% to see grain from 400H. You should at least be at 50% or 66.7% before it's too noticable though.</p>