Wide angle prime for both D80 and FM2

spencer_isaachsen

<p>Hi,<br>

I have a Nikon D80 and an FM2 and am looking for a good quality manual focus lens with all the trimmings that will work with both cameras.<br>

I understand that the crop factor of the D80 will come into play and that the AOV will change when using different cameras - this is fine.<br>

Besides that the lens would need a Nikon mount - I'm not wedded to any brand. Just looking for a nice lens for general photography.<br>

Thanks for reading!<br>

Regards,<br>

Spencer.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A wide angle on the D80 will be closer to "normal" on the FM2.</p>

<p>An ultra-wide on the D80 will be "normal wide angle" on the FM2.</p>

<p>You will not find a wide angle prime that will work the same on both. You MAY find a zoom that makes you kinda happy on both. But I really think you should look to lens those two cameras separately.</p>

<p>The 20/2.8 provides a good wide angle for the FM2, and a moderate wide for the D80. The Zeiss 18mm is really the only other option (focal length), that isn't a fisheye and will still be compatible with your D80. There are other manual focus options available, but they won't meter on the D80.</p>

<p>Personally, I think the compromise could be acceptable with a fast 30-35mm lens.</p>

<p>On the FM2 my choice would be a f1.4, manual focus version, but I don`t know if it will work for you when focusing with the D80 screen. The f2 version could be interesting, and cheaper.</p>

<p>The 35/2AFD could be reasonable, no focus/metering issues on the D80, but not as pleasant on the FM2... anyway it will be easier to focus with the split image.</p>

<p>Wider than 28mm seem to me right with the DX crop (up to 20mm) but maybe too much wide on FF for a one-for-all lens (and only f2.8 choices in AF, unless extremely expensive ones).</p>

<p>If you can deal with the differences I suggest looking at 20-24mm range. Very wide on the FM2 and wide on the D80. Personally I would not use a AF-D lens on the FM2, the focus is poor compared to a AIS lens. I would not mount a AIS lens to the D80 as I prefer to have metering and AF with that body. IMHO the compromise is to great for one lens, FoV, focus and metering.</p>

<p>Peter, you got it backwards I think, the angle of view of the same lens will be wider on the FM2, not narrower. Spencer, another thing you need to watch out for is that the D80 does not meter with most manual focus lenses. This may or may not be a problem, but there is a Voigtlander 20mm/3.5 lens that gets good reviews and the D80 will meter with it. Very nicely built too. You can find some info here, and much more if you search around a bit:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/Voigt_SL2.htm">http://www.cameraquest.com/Voigt_SL2.htm</a></p>

<p>Nikon's 45/2.8 AI-P lens aside (which isn't wide anyway), there are zero manual focus Nikon wide angle lenses that will meter on the D80. Your choices are limited to manual focus lenses with a chip - Zeiss ZF.2 and Voigtlander SLII.<br>

My suggestion is the same as Ilkka's - get one lens that suits your needs for the D80 and another for the FM2.</p>

<p>Hi - thanks so much for all the responses - I really appreciate it.<br>

It looks like two lenses might be the answer.<br>

There are a few reasons I wanted manual focus;<br>

firstly, I wanted to try and find a lens that would work well on both cameras and felt that I had a better chance of finding something if it were manual;<br>

secondly, I want a lens with proper DOF markings, Hyperfocal indicator and an aperture ring - not many of the autos seem to all these features;<br>

finally, I have had the FM2 for a long time and feel more comfortable with manual focus - particularly when I'm struggling with the D80 exposure weirdness.<br>

Thanks again for the help - it's great to know that there are so many passionate and interested people out there who are willing to help.<br>

All the best!<br>

Spencer.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You can go for a 28/2 or a 35/2 AI-S and I do not see any problem on using it on both cameras. Yes, no metering on D80 but I do not think that is such as big problem for someone who has experience in photography and is using a FM2 camera for a while...<br>

The other option I see is Voigtlander 40mm f/2 Ultron who is a very nice lens... but is not so wide... This is a small lens with great build and great IQ. While CV 20/3.5 is wider I do not see it as the one lens solution for both worlds - a faster lens is a better idea.<br>

A two lens convenient solution is with a 35/1.8 DX for D80 and a 35/2 AI-S for FM2.<br>

One last idea for a one lens solution: Sigma 24(28)mm f/1.8. It is a pretty good lens (I used several years the 24 with good results), is fast and performs well when MFing... Another possible solution... but is bulky... Samyiang is bringing very soon on the market a chipped 35/1.4 lens... It is expected to be a steal for the money...</p>

<p>Two lenses option : 20mm f/3.5 Voigtlander for D80, Nikon 28mm f/2.8 or 28mm f/2 AIS or AI for FM2.<br>

One lens option : a 24mm f/2.8 AIS could be a compromise for both cameras.<br>

In general, Voigtlander has better build and better focus ring than Nikkor lenses.</p>