Visiting Card Layout

riz

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I have designed a layout for my photography visiting card. Would be grateful if you kindly give your input on that.</p>

<p>The crest would preferably embossed (depends on cost). Also please give your views on the services I have mentioned on the right hand side.</p>

<p>Thanking you in anticipation.</p>

<p>Regards,</p>

<p>Riz</p><div>00YPFo-340051584.jpg.fa5f482b91a08ac8fc56ff1ae5e3d285.jpg</div>

<p>I'm not a graphic designer, so please take my thoughts with a grain of salt.<br>

The red text comes across to me as overbearing. It's unlikely that the viewer will remember your phone number, but red text says it's one of the most important things on the card. Instead the most important thing should be your name and logo. I feel that the layout of the card is also a bit unbalanced. Try unfocussing your eyes, or running a photoshop blur over the pic and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps move the logo / name to the right a bit? The combination of 4 (or is it 5?) fonts seems subtly incompatible, perhaps see how it looks reducing that to 2 or 3 fonts.<br>

Is the www neccesary in your website url? If not, dump it (see <a href="http://no-www.org/">http://no-www.org/</a> for reasoning). Is there a distinction between the 2 "c" phone numbers?</p>

Are you intending the card for marketing your services? How do you expect prospects to contact you? If it is via phone, put your phone number in the upper right corner. Use a larger font for it. The red color is good. If you expect them to walk in, use your address; if you expect them to do so via your web site, put it in the upper right instead. Same advice, if it is via email. The rest leave where they are.

<p>It's simple and classy, but could be tweaked.</p>

<p>I'd center the bird wing logo below your name, to my eye it needs to move a bit more to the right. The two phone numbers seem a bit confusing- if I'm a new customer, which is the reliable phone number for me to call? Can you limit it to one phone number? In the USA, we are able to forward incoming phone calls from one phone number to another. For example, I could, if I have the service available to me, forward an incoming call away from my home phone and automatically re-direct it to my cell phone. You'd need to check with your telephone service provider.</p>

<p>I agree about the balance- if the text on the right side were centered between top and bottom, rather than from center down, would that balance against your name and logo locations? Maybe, maybe not. As for colors of the contact methods, maybe red (or some other non-black color) only for what you want to be the main and most direct/fastest way to get ahold of you. Then again, with only one phone number, all being red (or whatever color) is fine. But overall I think you're on the right track.</p>

<p>Lastly, watch the font size of the contact methods. I just put one of my actual size business cards up against your image (which on my monitor measures 6-1/4 inches long) and the font size on your image is just slightly bigger than on my actual 3-1/2 inch long business card. Your font size for your contact information may look very small and hard to read on the printed card. Eliminate one phone number and bring the font size up a bit, possibly.</p>

<p>Lots of folks scan cards nowdays, but I'm old-fashioned: I still file the ones I want to keep by punching the bottom with cutouts for a Rolidex card holder...needed information should be kept 3/8" above the bottom of the card or it will be lost. Also keep in mind that older readers often have trouble with small type...keeping type sizes as large as possible while still being asthetically pleasing will be helpful for such folks! :-)</p>

<p>Rizwan, As a graphic designer, I think your card is beautiful. I think the balance is fine the way it is. The text on the bottom is too close to the edge though. I would move everything but your name up to allow 1/4 white space on the bottom. Steve and Vick do have a good point about the font size of your contact info. I think it could be hard to read at actual size.</p>

<p>As expected, valuable advise and comments. Thank you all.</p>

<p>I will surely work on the inputs but it seems board has been divided in two segments: <em>Balanced vs. Not-balanced</em>. But I hope I will work it out.</p>

<p>Good day to all!</p>

<p>What is the significance of the crest? The crest, shield or coat of arms traditionally has a specific significance in ones ancestry. As a decoration it seems a bit dated and stuffy, and doesn't immediately convey the nature of your business. It's overpowering compared with the small text to the right. Have you considered any other simpler or more contemporary graphic elements?</p>

<p><strong>Joshua </strong>- Well it is a backup cell number and in our part of the world its OK to provide more than one :)<br /><br /><strong>Don </strong>- Please see the revised layout<br /><br /><strong>Steve </strong>- Please see the revised layout<br /><br /><strong>Vick </strong>- I have removed the bottom area, please see the revised layout<br /><br /><strong>Linda </strong>- Please see the revised layout<br /><br /><strong>Lex </strong>- Well I think I am old-fashioned, I like the crests. But please let me know what are the disadvantages in putting that.</p><div>00YPbF-340247584.jpg.a59bcb29e05a9af376ad4973086a8617.jpg</div>

"Well I think I am old-fashioned, I like the crests. But please let me know what are the disadvantages in putting that."

You hand the card to a prospect. They say "What's the crest mean?" What do you say? Marketing design has nothing at all to do with what we like, what expresses our interests, what we think is esthetically pleasing. It's about getting a foot in the door and closing.

<p>I prefer the original. You have lost that lovely white space in the upper right. I do think you contact info is more prominent now though. Perhaps you could run the other text along the bottom and move the contact info down. I like the crest. You are from a part of the world that is highly decorative, and I think it is appropriate. As an artist, part of what you are selling is your aesthetic sense. If a potential client doesn't relate to your card, they wont relate to your work either.</p>

<p>What purpose does the crown have in your crest? Are you royal? Maybe in your country it is standard,. Then. by all means, keep it pompous as is ...</p>

<p>but then I could never use your photog service. Sorry, but form follows function in these days.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"But please let me know what are the disadvantages in putting that."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're in the visual communications field. A coat of arms, crest or shield is a graphic image that conveys a visual message. If it has no specific meaning to you and you cannot explain to a curious prospective client why you chose it, the lack of specificity may convey a sense of carelessness about your overall approach to visual communications.</p>

<p>You don't need to be an expert in semiotics, but symbols or graphics on a card from a photographer and artist should be chosen carefully to be consistent with the message you're attempting to deliver.</p>

<p><strong>Linda</strong>: I got you, will revert back to old for. You are right about the white space.</p>

<p><strong>Frank</strong>: I am not royal and it has nothing to do with my country. Its European and may be it has some history with you. I have not put it for being pompous, its just because I like it.</p>

<p><strong>Lex</strong>: Sure, I can explain if someone has query in mind his/her mind for the crest.</p>