Hanimex 35mm on the Neighborhood

<p><em>Camera</em>: Praktica Pl Nova 1<br /><em>Lens</em>: Hanimex 35mm<br /><em>Film</em>: ORWO UN54 100<br /><em>Developer</em>: Home Brewed<br /><br />I bought this lens last week from Ebay UK for BP 5.00. The seller turned out to be a bit of “Bohunk”. He wrote the price on the Customs Declaration as BP 20.00. So, the Customs socked it to me. I guess the seller thought that if it were lost he could claim BP20.00 from the Royal Mail and make a profit. Even my presenting the Pay Pal receipt to the Customs did not help!<br /><br />The lens is an old one. It had a dent on the filter ring. I removed it with an adjustable wrench. It seems to work well, now. I have not had much experience with Hanimex lenses. Also, I am challenged by the shadows cast by trees here amidst the bright tropical Sun. It was always a tough problem to balance the highlights and the deep shadows. <br /><br />Today, I tried with this lens on the Praktica to make some pictures of the shadowy and highlit scenes. All around my neighborhood in SW Bangalore. Here are some samples.</p><div>00YOBe-339355584.jpg.06c0dfb5f2d8e20abac93cd5dfc55663.jpg</div>

<p>This camera body became a bit special to me. I bought this as non-working jammed up item. Did a lot of cleaning and tuning, especially, as the previous user had filled up some cavities with what seemed like caulking compound or lime mortar! After my CLA and some treatment it has been working, almost like new.</p><div>00YOBk-339357784.jpg.771409e8ee0a1c5c41eb272cda7889c8.jpg</div>

<p>The negatives looked very light on development. After scanning, I was encouraged by the results. Please do let me know any suggestions, thoughts for approaching and improving pictures in shadows. I am always a bit uneasy with deep shadows in the midst of strong Sunlight. Thanks for viewing. Hanimex seems good. I recall that they had a long association with Praktica. Regards, sp.</p>

<p>Love the sun -- we're in the midst of a spring monsoon (it's snow just 90 miles north) and I have a <a href="

in the roof where the rain comes in</a>.</p>

<p>I personally think your established approach is working just fine. If occasionally it produces a slightly low contrast effect, this works well for such innately contrasty scenes.</p>

<p>I really like the picture ensemble.</p>

<p>Whatever that Hannimex is, it seems to work just fine. Is a rebranded DDR lens, or something else, do you suppose?</p>

<p>Finally, as before, your success in reanimating the nova series cameras, makes me think that I have been too short and rude to my own non-working examples. Perhaps they just need a little love. ;)</p>

<p>Nice series, <strong>SP</strong>. I recall having a 28mm Korean lens that looked very much like your Hanimex lens; I think it was actually branded "Helios", which I thought to be a little misleading...I sold it, rather quickly. However, there seem to be some good lenses coming out of Korea these days, and your old Hanimex has performed well in the difficult light. I stick by the old "over-expose by one stop, under-develop by one stop" formula in lighting like that, and it seems to help, as does a longer, slower development in diluted solution. However, you've held contrast to a minimum; "Fruit Vendor at the Bus Stop" is a good example. Thanks for another entertaining post.</p>

<p>The branded Helios lenses, especially the made in Japan versions are obviously not Zeiss copies. My Helios 135 which does not focus at present through m42 adaptor on my Sony A100 is a Chinon copy. To go back to Subbarayanji, the pictures are very fine as ever. Your street scenes are always distinctive and show how life is changing in Indian metropolis. I do appreciate the complex metering situation but I think you have done remarkably well. I look forward to your next adventure!</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Rick</strong>, I [try to] do almost the exact procedure you have mentioned. Perhaps, I need to be more careful with the temperature and precision in my measurements. Thanks <strong>Starvy</strong>, Chinon seems to have supplied quite a few other brand names including, Reflecta, Revuenon and the like. Than you <strong>Jay</strong>, the camera seems quite smooth for now, as musical as Peter Wallage describes it. sp.</p>

Mixed lighting is very difficult and I often end up with more contrast than I want by over exposing, thinking I'm doing better in the shadows. Someone mentioned that with dilution might be a better approach. I found that in contrasty situations 400 gave me a better tonal mix than I expected. You'll often see the optional higher dilutions/longer times for these films too.

I too think the fruit stand is a great shot and everything worked right there! For that matter most shots were good. The power station transformers is a bright light and not too mixed, but came off nice and sharp.And contrasty as the scene was, your home brew is good and the tonal range is intact ! The Hanimex seems quite Ok I don't see any resolution problems I suspect it was stopped down in most situations and rarely above F8?

• 1 year later...