The Future of the Camera, August, 1940

JDMvW

<p>Nice try, Thom, but I still suspect an error in posting. I will grant you that this is "casual," not "classic manual" or "modern film"....<br>

I totally get where you're coming from (I think). :)</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

All very interesting although I’m not sure I get the 2nd thread exactly mimicking the 1st one?

one thought about “the future of the camera” with a view to the present:

is the reason mobile phone cameras are so well used simply a matter of A: convenience and B: SIMPLICITY?

A1: Let’s face it everyone almost to a person, world wide by now, has a mobile phone. Every phone has a camera. Most people (IMO) don’t uphold “photography” in the same regard as we “photographers” do, Most are perfectly happy making snapshots of their lives and don’t need any extra gear or gak to post pix of their cat or children or whatever on f@c3b00k.

B1: most cameras these days, even the cheapest pocket digi point n shoot, are incredibly complex. Hundreds of functions. Phones may be similarly complicated but the cameras are super simple to use. Editing pix in the phone is also easy, with apps for “effects” and minimal editing software included in the phone’s photo menu.

I like the premise of the threads tho with predictions for the camera of the future.

We all no doubt remember when we were in love with The Future. Even as late as the early to mid 1960s The Future was a wondrous “place” we were all headed to together, a New World where everything would be better. In more ways we can name, and more so than we could have imagined, very good and extremely cool things have come along.

But sh*t went sideways somewhere along the line. The Future we imagined in the middle 20th century has come and gone and the New World didn’t turn out to be as great for all as we imagined it would be. Still, life remains generally pretty darn good here in the First World - but I can’t help feeling like The Future ain’t what it used to be.