Market seems strong for fast primes?!

paul_dulaney1

<p>In watching prices and KEH inventory over the past few years, there seems to be a renewed interest in fast primes, particularly the chrome nose/breech lock versions. I was looking at some KEH fliers from 2008 and 2009 the other day and noticed they used to maintain a much larger inventory of fast wide angle and normal lenses than I've seen lately. Is this due to a resurgence of film photography or the ability to adapt the old lenses to dslr's? <br>

Paul</p>

<p>I think you may be right. Prices are a bit higher now as well, in comparison with a few years ago. I assumed it was because people are using FD glass on micro 4/3 cameras. Maybe it's time to unload a few of those spare lenses.</p>

<p>I think this trend is not limited to FD and earlier glass. Indeed for many older manual lenses like Nikon, M42, and others, the need for quality manual focus for video has created a whole new market for the older lenses. I think the 4/3 adaptability may well be an additional factor for FD.</p>

<p>Plus, as items become rarer, and if they are still sought after, the prices can go up.</p>

<p>Finally, in the now-world-wide market place, the weakness of the dollar has attracted buyers to dollar-priced items.</p>

<p>The faster FD primes have been pricey since I began acquiring them a half dozen or so years ago. And, as JDM says, this phenomenon isn't confined to FD primes. For example, I noticed the other day that M42-mount SMC Takumar 85/1.4's are selling for upwards of $500!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My inference is that price pressure is caused by digital users with C sized sensors </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hmm. I doubt that, fwiiw. "Everyone knows" that there is no good way of adapting FD glass to any APS-C DSLR (with the limited exceptions of macro work and the scarce 1.26x telephoto adapter). I have been collecting FD glass since late 2007, so my dataset is limited, but ... it is the M4/3 phenomenon. That only kicked off in late 2008 and it is since then that the prices for better / shorter (i.e., up to about 135mm) prime lenses have firmed and increased. There are several FD lenses on the auction site at the moment being specifically touted for us with M4/3 cameras (including, somewhat improbably, a 35mm f2 concave, complete with yellow cast). <br>

Quite tempted to try M4/3+FD myself ...</p>

<p>The m4/3rd indie filmmaker is definitely one of the reasons prices for manual focus lenses going up. When they're used to paying thousands of dollars for one lens, paying $50-80 for a 50mm f/1.4 is a steal! Seeing threads at filmmaker forums comparing the FD 50mm f/1.4 to a SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 makes more non SLR camera people aware of these lenses.<br>

I have the m4/3rd + FD lens combination and I can say it works very well for my needs. Even though I have a Canon EOS Elan 7e and 3 EF lenses, one of the main reasons I went for m4/3rd instead of buying a Canon digital was to use the FD glass I already have. Since the FD lenses are very low priced compared to EF lenses, if I wanted to buy more lenses it is wouldn't break the bank for me. Also with the possibility of adapting other lenses from different makers, this was another plus for the system.<br /><br /> Prices will definitely go up for the premium manufacturer lenses and probably the 3rd party lens manufacturers also. So if you're thinking of buying a lens, now might be the time.</p>

<p>FWIW, I've been using my 50mm f/1.2L and 85mm f/1.2L (among others) with a Novoflex adapter on the Sony NEX-5 for the past couple of months. I'm generally very pleased with the results. The brilliant part is that you can head out with your regular film setup (in my case, usually an A-1), and when light runs short, switch to the Sony using the same lenses. Pretty cool, if nothing else.</p>

<p>Just curious, Paul (and conscious of the risk of being transplanted to another forum): why the Sony and not, say, the Lumix or Oly possibilities? The General View that I have read is that the Sony can be a bit frustrating for the Experienced Photographer, though of course it does have a bigger sensor.</p>

<p>James, one of the reasons I choose the Sony was for the larger (and in my opinion, better) sensor (62% larger). I also like other features that the Sony has (e.g. Sweep Panorama). I watched the demo at PhotoPlus Expo last year and had the opportunity to check out all of the competition at the same time. Although adapters are widely available for all of the makes mentioned, Sony was the only company that was demo-ing their product with lenses from other lines and manufacturers. As to the frustration for an experienced photographer...over the past 20 plus years of doing this, I've used P&S, 35mm, 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 4x5, and who-knows-what other camera formats. A truly experienced photographer should be able to adjust on the fly and make good photos with the tools they have. The complaints I read seem to be from people who have just gotten used to doing things one way. I just did head shots for a client last week using the Sony, we are both happy with the results. I wasn't really interested in investing heavily into yet another lens series, I just wanted a light-weight camera that effectively uses my FD lenses, it does that well. I know other makes and models work as well for others, really it's just personal taste.</p>

<p>Ah...thanks, James...the pressure is on now! If you can, it might also be a good idea to pick up a wireless remote (Alpha RMT-DSLR1). It doesn't do a whole lot for the NEX series, but I think it will prove handy; I'm still waiting for mine. FYI, when using the Novaflex, make sure that you first line up the RED DOT (index) on the lens with the WHITE DOT on the adapter (holding the lens flush with the face of the adapter). Then rotate the RED DOTs towards each other until the two components engage. If you fail to first line up the red and white dots, your lens will not stop down as the adapter will be stuck on the wrong side of the aperture signal lever.</p>