Please need opinion on trading in Mamiya for Nikon?

lisa_paul

<p> Hi I'm just starting out and I'd like to get an opinion about trading in my Mamiya 645afd / Kodak dcs 16megapixel back for a Nikon d700? I do love my camera, and the quality is amazing so I'm very confused.<br>

ISO is only 400 and is noisy etc.. back is discontinued. And I don't think I can afford another digital back for this camera lol! please give me advice I'm very torn.</p>

<p> Thanks, Melissa :)</p>

<div>00YNmD-339107584.thumb.jpg.e1ee253019145175c2dbbdf81a890c59.jpg</div>

<p> I love children potraiture , landscape, studio portraits. I also just started learning LR3 and I enjoy that very much. I don't run around with this camera shooting all day so the weight does not bother me (for now). TY :)</p>

<p>I am very curious. How did you just start out with a medium format camera with a digital back?</p>

<p>How long have you been using this equipment?</p>

<p>Will you be happy with the difference in image size?</p>

<p>Will you be happy with the difference in image aspect ratio?</p>

<p>Are you also considering replacing the Mamiya with another medium format digital camera?<br>

.</p>

<p> Years ago I had a Canon 10d, used it for a short time and put it down. Just lost interest. I felt the quality I was looking for just wasn't there. For some reason I just loved the way medium format looked, so I figured "I'll never get a medium format " . Then last year my husband came home with the Mamiya and Kodak back and I said "I think you should take pictures again, I think your gonna like this camera". I just picked up the camera a few months ago and started using it and I without a doubt love it! ( I didnt use the camera right away because I had alot going on at the time, family loss , plus I was working full time) A few months ago I felt it was time to start learning my camera, I love using the camera and I feel like it's the best therapy for me, it keeps me focused on something I love. So as I'm learning more and more and talking to people ,I'm starting to question whats the best thing to do cost wise?<br>

If I could afford another digtal back I would definetly like to keep this camera, right now I'm checking out keh.com, this kodak back has alot of draw backs and I'm noticing different problems. Quality wise it's awesome!<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>One thing you can do with the 645 is buy a film back and a 120 insert and start using black and white film to take advantage of those spectacular lenses. Darkroom equipment is being given away now and is a nice extension(read time consuming and very satisfying) to your current hobby.</p>

<p> </p>

<p> I find the step from medium format towards 35mm a very big step, that's why I stil like to "play Around "with my rollei sl66 at times. I find 35mm ( or aps-c now) is like a form of "hunting" as opposed to medium format photography wich is like a form of meditation to me ....<br /> So I would never let go ( and also did not) of medium format, but just add the 35mm ( which some call full format... :-) ) or an APS-C camera ( which i did : D300 ) and enjoy both formats as an entirely different occupation.. but that's just me...</p>

<p>I have had a hard time trying to find a picture even a bit close to yours... I can`t. Being used to a D700, I`d say 1). My skills are far below yours or/and 2). My D700 is not capable of such image quality.<br>

It could be difficult for me to get rid of such quality; if you`re experiencing problems, I`d try to replace the MF back.<br>

I cannot give an useful advice, I don`t have a MFDB. Maybe the main attractive of the D700 is the low light capability. I`m with Bob; try to rent a D700 before buying...</p>

<p>Milissa, I'm struck by your comment that "quality wise it's awesome." I don't know if you would give up quality with a D700 and, if so how much. But assuming some quality would be lost (and it would be good for you to have some real insight into this), would that loss of quality be compensated by the other factors you would gain from the D700?</p>

<p>The 10D was, and still is a very capable camera. That is how I started out. Now I shoot a 12 MP D2X and a 14 MP full frame Kodak SLRn. Other than the low light capability of the D700 (not even as good as the D3 though) I think you would be dissappointed in the image quality.</p>

<p>The D700 is vastly superior in many many ways to the 10D but consider this: It takes approximately two 10D sensors to make a sensor the size of the D700, so doing so would give you a 12 MP sensor...the same size as the D700. Please, before everyone screams at me I know the D700 is quicker and easier to use, provides vastly superior low light imagery, has better autofocus, better LCD, better viewfinder...and the list goes on and on. However, at base ISO an image taken on the D700 is not going to be leaps and bounds better than the lowly 10D. Believe me, I was shocked when I made the switch 3 years ago to my two current bodies. I think the results from the D700 would be at least a step down from the Mamiya, although obviously the D700 would be much easier to use.</p>

<p>The D700 is not a D3X. I know Canon and Nikon are being vary wary of the economy (especially now) and are resisting releasing what they must have up their sleeves, but I would stick with your Mamiya, at least for now, and wait to see what comes out, hopefully by the end of the year.</p>

<p>I also heartily recommend familiarizing yourself with Canon's offerings too, particularly the 5D II. With almost twice as many pixels as the D700, and for similar money, it is also worth considering (as is it's replacement). </p>

<p>The image you posted may not be indicative of what you have in your portfolio but I just wanted to mention to be careful of oversharpening your images. </p>

<p>Hi Melissa, I'm with Bob too! Did you try film before? There's a lot you still can do and learn with your camera, be carefull with this "consumer appeal" from digital Era. Indeed D700 is one of the best DSLR cameras on the market, but remember it's going to be replaced soon (summer). Considering the type of photos you like, do you indeed need to take pictures with 1000ISO or more? Stay above 400ISO and use a tripood. Or push some film rolls. And like Bob also mention, you can always try another back, wich will be better, or a newer Mamiya AFS body.</p>

<p>Well, I have been working a bit converting some of my images to b&w (something I never do) as well as sharpening and increasing contrast... the difference with your sample has then been reduced significantly.<br /> I`m posting a very different subject but maybe interesting to compare sharpness. I have also some pics comparing skin tones, I can post them if you want it. With your technique, maybe the loss is not that great from your current camera to a D700... I`m not qualified to speak about it.<br /> The compression in my pic is way higher than yours, it must be taken it into account, thought (0.38MB vs 6.8MB).</p>

<p> wow I appreciate all the responses! I guess what I can say is from reading all the advice, I will stick with my Mamiya. 2) Maybe rent a D700 3) Get a new back when I can afford it 3) Ease on the sharpening (not sure if I did :) 4) Try the film 5) And Pray to god that I can become amazingly awesome photographers like all of you.<br>

I haven't taken my camera further then this house yet because all the batteries were dead and they wouldn't recharge , I had a hard time finding a company to refill them, so I finally found a company, now I'm just waiting for them.<br>

Thank you for all the advice and responses!<br>

Melissa :)</p>

<p>Bob makes sense about renting a D700.</p>

<p>The biggest differences I think you'll find stepping up to D700 is.</p>

<ul>

<li>An increase in your ability to achieve shallow DOF and "nice bokeh", if that sort of thing matters to you. FF is capable of much shallower DOF that any MF digital. Only MF 6x7 film and a few relatively rate lenses give you the ability to make a shallow DOF shot that can match 35mm FF.</li>

<li>Low light ability. Suddenly, you'll find yourself doing silly things like taking candlelight portraits.</li>

<li>Handling and focusing speed. A D700 can keep up with children in their natural habitats, so you don't have to bring them into your habitat and scare them into immobility.</li>

</ul>

<p>There's also a slight improvement in dynamic range and tonality, the D700 wouldn't have had areas of the hair lost in "blocked up" shadows", and probably would have avoided whatever happened to the lips on your kid.</p>