My "new" EOS 3

jaydesi

<p>I picked this up yesterday for $150, looks to be nearly unused. Now that I have a manual focus medium format camera, I was less interested in having my 35mm film system also being manual only, so I've been keeping my eyes on CL for a good deal on a nice Canon film body. I saw that KEH is selling them in EX condition for $275, so I figured I got a good deal.</p>

<p>It didn't come with the battery grip, but the cost for them is more than I paid for the body, so I'm not sure if I want it or not...if I can find one cheaply, I'll pick it up, but...otherwise, I'll manage.</p>

<p>The eye control doesn't seem to be accurate, I'll have to keep working on the calibration, or give up on it completely...I'm intrigued by it though, and hope I can get it to work. 45 AF points and AF at f/8 (center spot) is pretty cool to me.</p><div>00YMcB-338403684.jpg.77a647777da6a95c47e82ab793c49f18.jpg</div>

<p>Yep, that's a deal but a sign of the times. I was lucky and managed to sell mine last year for about $300. I hated to part with it but I haven't shot much film since 2003 and still have a FM3A for my annual roll of film.</p>

<p>For me, ECF worked well on the EOS 3, but the Elan 7E is more reliable right out of the box. First, the Elan 7E has precise AF rectangles to look at whereas the EOS 3 has a large ellipse etched on the viewfinder screen. The ellipse contains a concentrated mass of 45 sensors but you can't precisely target individual sensors because they're invisible. In fairness, Canon states the EOS 3 45-point AF allows you to "automatically focus by area" and doesn't claim to target individual sensors like the A2E or Elan IIE. </p>

<p>ECF in the last generation Elan 7NE was amazing. Wish my 5D2 & 7D had ECF. The joy stick thingie just ain't the same...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Congratulations on the camera! The 3 is really great. Did you reset the calibration? If you didn't, the camera will be trying to mix your and the previous owner's(s) calibrations, which may not work that well.<br>

On my 1v, I rarely use the big PB-E2, but I use mostly the BP-E1, which lets you use cheap (or rechargeable) AAs, without the extra bulk of the PB-E2. You don't get the vertical release, but I generally don't miss it all that much.</p>

<p>Jay,<br>

Nice looking 3!<br>

I still have my EOS3 and my Elan 7E, primarily because they are worth more to me (even as a shelf decoration) that what they'll bring today!<br>

Like Puppy Face, wish Canon had a digital with ECF. In my opinion, and the manual eludes to it also, . . . on the ECF, calibrate, calibrate, calibrate and calibrate some more! The more the better it gets!<br>

Have fun with your "New/Old" body, it's a great camera IMHO.</p>

<p>Jay,<br>

I have a brand new, still-in-the-box and bubble-wrapped Canon PB-E2 Power Drive Booster including instruction manual and original unfilled-out warranty card that has never been on a camera if you are interested. I'll take $150.00 for it and that will include shipping and insurance. This offer is good to you for 10 days from date originally posted.<br>

I still have 2 EOS3s, one with power booster and one without. I decided to leave it that way.<br>

If you are interested, email me at alrohrerphoto@gmail.com with PB-E2 in the subject line. I don't like paypal so I'll take your check, mailed to my home address, and I'll ship you the power booster by US Mail or UPS, your choice.</p>

<p>Let me know if you are interested.<br>

Al Rohrer</p>

<div>00YMr1-338589584.jpg.290be910a1bec9c1d349308ef3d302f7.jpg</div>

<p>I sold a EOS3 to upgrade to my 5D-I. I really liked that camera. One feature I liked was you pick multiple subjects that were not in the same focal plane. The camera would pick the best f-stop to get them all in focus. That along with 45 focusing points if memory serves. Make a digital equivalent of the EOS3 and I'd buy!</p>