Phase 1 P21

andrew_viny

<p>Hey guys, </p>

<p> My dad and I got a phase one p21 digital back for our 501cm. The viewfinder obviously doesn't show the actual field of view. So here's my question.... does anyone make a mask that you can put in the VF so that you can see the actual coverage of the sensor? Thanks!</p>

<p>~Andrew</p>

<p>Andrew,<br>

A couple of thoughts. I found mounting the mask under the focus screen to work best. HOWEVER, you MUST clip the outside corners to miss the four focus screen screws. If anything gets between these screws and the metal screen frame you will ruin your focus calibration. And further, you MUST cut out the center of the screen to also not mess with the focus on your screen. If you do these two things, the view is clear inside the marks on the mask, it doesn't rattle around, and it works very well.<br>

BTW, Phase One P21 MFDB on an V-system Hasselblad: good choice!<br>

Al Bowers</p>

<p>Andrew,<br>

I will measure mine tonight and maybe get a picture. Its incredibly easy to make (you only need a ruler, a sharp knife, a pair of scissors, a very fine tip marker, and a piece of clear plastic). You can make one in 2 minutes, literally. I think the square of plastic is about 2.75 inches square, cut the corners off (about 1/2 inch on each side), mark the center 44x33mm frame (or the 42x31mm frame, I made mine the exact dimension), and cut just inside the frame lines with a knife. Then remove your magazine, slide out your finder, drop out the focus screen, drop in your new frame, reassemble your camera, and you should be good to go. Five minutes tops...<br>

I'll get an image (probably pretty bad on my phone camera, lol!) and post.<br>

I don't know too many places that sell these, but that's mostly because they'd have to charge several bucks. And almost everyone makes their own for pennies...<br>

Al</p>

Andrew,

Two pics: first is the mask with the frames lines on it (hard to see while I'm holding it). And second is the mask with the

focus screen (only slightly better). You can see how the corners are cut away to clear the four corner screws in the

body (the metal frame of the focus screen MUST rest firmly on the four screws for accurate focus). The center is also

cut out. The dimensions I got were 2.25 inches on each side, and the corners were cut away 0.5 inches on each side.

Al

<p>Andrew,<br>

This is the mask with the focus screen (poor image). You can see how the corners are cut away to clear the four corner screws in the body (the metal frame of the focus screen MUST rest firmly on the four screws for accurate focus). The center is also cut out. The dimensions I got were 2.25 inches on each side, and the corners were cut away 0.5 inches on each side.<br>

Al</p><div>00YMOG-338253784.jpg.91856185359810993a60061e0b6c1f00.jpg</div>