Shooting gems for a potential client?

A potential client has come to me and wants me to shoot gems/rocks for their business to put to on display on

their website. All the products are relatively small and should be able to be shot in a soft light box. I was

told that there would be about 70 items to be photographed, roughly. Question - what would be the best way to

approach this, and more importantly, what would be a reasonable fee for this shoot? I'm planning on renting a

macro, preferably a 60mm f/2.8 lens, and I will most likely have to purchase a light box. Would that be an

appropriate lens or are there any other macros that would do well. I shoot with a Canon 30D. Thanks for any

input that you all would have. Jeff B.

<p>Soft light boxes are not the best way to shoot gems, they loose the sparkle that makes them appealing.</p>

<p>Search here for "shooting jewelry" to find lots of posts and suggestions for how to shoot shiny stones and metal.</p>

<p>It's not as easy as it looks. Buy the book "Light - Science & Magic" to learn how to control light and its effects. It will help you along the road.</p>

<p>As for charging, since you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't charge at all. You'll get the experience and the client will have no expectation of professional results. Neither will be disappointed that way.</p>

<p> </p>