5D Mark II. But what lenses?

ben_attb

<p>Hello there...I'm doing a short film next month using a Canon 5D mark II. Most of it will be shot using Carl Zeiss (for Hasselblad) lenses, but I will rent a wide angle lenses as well.<br>

As I don't have any experience with Canon glass what so ever, I'm interested in hearing which one these lenses you would recommend for the shoot.<br>

Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 (For Canon)<br>

Canon 17-40 f/4 L<br>

Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM<br>

Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM<br>

Canon EF-S 10-22mm USM<br>

My concern is not only in sharpness and optical resolution, but also in their characteristics with contrast and color rendition.<br>

Thanks,</p>

<p>I believe if you want the sharpest color with minimal distortion, you may consider either a TS-E 24 or a 24L f/1.4L.<br>

I do understand these are not on your list, but I was not sure if you were not aware of them, if it is because you are unable to rent these, then here are some ideas.<br>

Like William said, the 10-22 is not going to mount on the 5D.<br>

The EF 28mm USM suffers from some bad CA and even stopped down, is not as sharp as it could be (on the 5d, on the 7d, it would not be as bad). This may give you a wider aperture than zooms that cover this focal length, but seems to be lacking. It sort of does not handle flare well so a hood would be great on it. Th<br>

The vignetting issues for the 20mm USM alone would be a hassle to deal with in editing, so I'd skip that.<br>

The 17-40 is great and sharp, but distortion on the sides seem exaggerated. I'd avoid filming crowds of people with this lens as those on the edges may end up resembling kokopeli. Its not as good as the 16-35L but that isnt on your list. (I'd still go with either the 24L or the TS-E 24L over that though)<br>

The 24-70 sigma sounds like possibly your best bet on this list if you were to only use one lens.</p>

<p>But to better help, what kind of shot are you imagining? The location, the lighting, the subjects, and shooting distance all seem to play a keen role in choosing the lens you want. I gave you an example where you would not want to use the 17-40 above, for instance, however, in other cases, it might be the best choice.</p>

<p>look at the 14mm f2.8l for wide angel lens. Not only will you get 2.8 aperture but there is very little distortion. And if the you guys are doing 2.35:1 aspect it looks fantastic. Take a look at Philip blooms stuff he uses it a lot.</p>

<p>From you list, I'd pick the 24-70mm. I own the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS and find it an incredibly flexible lens with very good IQ with the right processing software. I use DxO Optics Pro, but most users get great results with the correction in Lightroom. Canon Digital Photo Professional also does a good job, but is a little clunky to use.</p>