Cameras that use films.

<p>Hi community,<br>

I will be taking studio arts next year and I want to think about getting my own camera which uses film. My art school has a great dark room, and I might as well get a camera that works. I want a camera that is within the range of 400~600 dollers, although a little higher up is fine...if you can explain it. I spent alot of money on my Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera recently plus a few lenses. If possible, I'd like to find a camera that I can interchange lenses with (if possible). I really don't know too much about film cameras.<br>

Thanks!<br>

~John</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Canon <strong><em>EOS 60D</em></strong> Digital SLR Camera recently plus a few lenses. If possible, <strong><em>I'd like to find a camera that I can interchange lenses </em></strong>with (if possible). I really don't know too much about film cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What lenses do you have? – <strong>exactly</strong><br>

i.e. If Canon lenses please specify the Prefix "EF" or "EF-S".<br>

Canon <em><strong>EF-S</strong></em> lenses will not mount on a Canon Film SLR camera.</p>

<p>If Third Party lenses, also quote the name - fully.<br>

For example Tamron - the "Di II" lenses will not be suitable for 135 format Film SLR cameras.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>Hi John</p>

<p>As William said, you will not be able to use EF-S lenses from your 60D with a film camera. You may be able though to use EF lenses which work for Canon EOS film cameras on your 60D, so it makes sense to get a Canon EOS film camera.</p>

<p>I'm afraid you will have to buy a used camera, last time I checked Canon was only selling the top end 1V series film cameras, and those are way to expensive these days.</p>

<p>Your best choice I suspect will be a used EOS 30 or EOS 33 - otherwise known as Elan 7 or 7E. It is very close ergonomics-wise with your 60D. Otherwise a used EOS 3 is a step up from there, but it's also more expensive. You may want to read some more here<br /> http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/cameras.html</p>

<p>Within that budget you could get an Elan 7 and also a one or two cheap EF primes like the 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2 which would work very well on film, and you could also use on them the 60D.</p>

<p>many photo classes REQUIRE a manual camera.<br>

and the canon eos and rebel and compatible cameras<br>

are more advanced than that..<br>

Point professors DEMANDED that students get a pentax K-1000<br>

even several years after the cameras were discontinued.<br>

Another compatible canon would be the smatest thing to buy.<br>

Prices on Used canons are not high.<br>

if you run into the Brick wall" of proessor stubbornness<br>

( you did not mention this one way or another)<br>

and your interest is having a film camera so you can experience the darkrrom techniques, consider an<br>

older matal REAL compact 35mm camera.<br>

If you just want to shoot film on your own and develop and print it.<br>

consider a compact P&S from pentax or canon or olympus.</p>

<p>If your Canon lenses are EF and not EF-S you should have no trouble buying a used Canon EOS 35mm film camera for under $200.00. In fact a cursory search showed me many for under $150.00.</p>

<p>If you want a new 35mm slr, your options are the Nikon FM10 or the Vivitar V3800N. Neither can use your Canon lenses.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<blockquote>

<p><em>"If you just want to shoot film on your own and develop and print it.</em><br /><em> consider a compact P&S from pentax or canon or olympus."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Can be fun & rewarding but consider that most of these have very limited direct control over focus & exposure.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>If you want a new 35mm slr, your options are the Nikon FM10 or the Vivitar V3800N. Neither can use your Canon lenses.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>These are the same basic camera, made by Cosina, but with different mounts. Most of the Vivitar cameras accept readily available Pentax K-mount lenses. So if you're someone who wants a warranty, it's not a bad choice. Me, I'd probably buy a used Pentax body which is likely better-made instead.</p>

<p>For what it's worth, you can adapt most older lenses from Pentax, Nikon, etc. to your EOS digital body too with simple adapters. You'd want to make sure those lenses have aperture rings.</p>

<p>Almost all older Canon <strong>EOS</strong> (that's important, <strong>not</strong> FD-mount) are perfectly usable in full manual mode. However, it is important to clear this with your teacher, since some of them may not want you to have the option of shooting automatic focus, etc.</p>

<p>If you can use an EOS camera in manual mode and satisfy the teacher, then eBay presents a huge number of working early models like the first ones, the EOS 650, 620, 630, that will accept non-EF-S Canon "EF" lenses. They are even cheaper than the prices listed above. A body without a lens will often go for under US $25.</p>

<p>If you have to get a really manual, no-other-options on the camera, film camera, then I'd personally recommend one of the fully mechanical Praktica L, L2, etc. models. With a 50mm lens they often sell for about $30-40. The ones with built-in lightmeters may not have a still-working meter, however, but most work fine even without the metering.</p>

<p>There are lots of great film cameras out there these days at very reasonable prices. The catch is that lenses for some models still work on newer AF and digital cameras, so can be much more expensive than the body alone is. If you don't get EOS, then try to get a lens and body together.</p>

<p>Strongly consider a medium format or large format camera.</p>

<p>The 35mm format means a lot of work while offering the worst picture quality in regular photographic production. Everything bigger offers dramatically less grain, more sharpness, greater detail, and stunningly superior tonal quality. Soon as you move above 35mm your pictures stand out from most film users and, importantly, from the 500 million hard working talented digital shooters with small sensor cameras. Plus 120 format roll-film and sheet film typically 4x5 and 8x10 sizes are just as easy to process as 35mm. <br /> <br /> So why were people using 35mm cameras? Reasons:<br /> Small hand-holdable lightweight cameras.<br /> Quick to use for unpredictable photo opportunities.<br /> Fast lenses for low light work.<br /> Fast shutter speeds for moving subjects.<br /> Many shots, usually 36, between re-loadings.<br /> Low film costs per exposure.<br /> <br /> Those reasons were powerful in the past as compensation for low picture quality. But no more. Everything 35mm could do is equalled or exceeded by present day digital cameras which deliver more pictures, better, quicker, cheaper, and at a fraction of the effort and mess of 35mm.<br>

For your money you could get a used Mamiya RB67 medium format SLR and turn out photographs better than most people have ever seen.</p>

<p>If the Art School has a wet lab and a dark room, it would be best to establish what size capacity the enlargers have - and also the development methods and - if using spirals and hand cylinders - if they can accommodate 6cm film - also if they have dip and dunk tanks for sheet film, before venturing into larger formats.<br>

I get the impression that this is a testing phase brought about by the fact that the Art School has a wet lab and darkroom so why not use it – and not because the OP wants to (initially) set up a full darkroom at home.<br>

But perhaps John will clarify and also answer the other questions when he reads the responses.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick responses. Been really busy with school and work. Currently, taking photos is just a hobby that was shared between a friend and I. I recently upgraded to my Canon 60D body.<br>

Lenses<br>

EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM<br>

EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM<br>

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM<br>

The film camera is necessary because next year I have one open unit, and I would like to take studio arts (no digital). Unfortunately, I have almost no developing experience and I frankly haven't really been around film cameras. If I wait about 2~3 months, I should be able to get a camera body for under 800/900. Any suggestions? I wanted to practice early, so that I wouldn't be too far behind when I actually take the class, but if a better body costs alot, I'd be willing to wait.</p>

<p>P.S. Now that you know my lenses...suggest more?</p>

<p>With Film cameras, more so than digital, it's all about the lenses. The cheapest film camera will take the same pictures (basically) as an expensive one if you use the same film and lens combo. The only differences are that the expensive ones offer more features like faster frame rates, faster max shutter speed and flash sync, etc. For a hobby/class assignment any of the more recent offerings from the late 80's or 90's will probably offer all you need. Check the description of the course and see if it requires a camera with manual capabilities or a fully manual camera. It would make sense to me to stay with Canon so you can share lenses with your 60D. You could check some of the threads in the new <a href="../modern-film-cameras-forum/">Modern Film Cameras Forum</a> here at P.net for some good user reviews and example photos.</p>

<p>Another option would be to get yourself an old manual camera and a couple of primes. The prices on these cameras and lenses are dirt cheap these days. I have an old Nikomat that cost me $9 and works like a champ. I added a 50mm and 28mm prime for a total of $70 for the two. At these prices, with your budget you could buy an entire new system.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The film camera is necessary because next year I have one open unit, and I would like to take <strong><em>studio arts. </em></strong>Now that you know my lenses...<strong><em>suggest more</em></strong>?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I teach at Community College (adults) and High School (16 to 18yrs) so I am making a few assumptions that your “Studio Arts” is similar to “Studio Portraiture & Studio Lighting” we teach here. Also - Ask the teacher at your college.</p>

<p>As mentioned, your two EF-S lenses will not be useful – IMO neither will the 70 to 300.<br>

What we suggest here is either a 50mm Prime & (possibly also) a 35mm Prime - or a zoom lens from about 35 to 70ish.</p>

<p>If you want to stick with getting EF lenses to use on your 6oD, then the 50/1.8mkII would be useful and it is inexpensive.<br>

The 35/2 is useful also and I can see it fitting into your 60D kit.<br>

Another Prime to fit your 60D kit would be the 85/1.8.</p>

<p>If you want a great EF lens then the EF24 to 70/2.8L would suit your Film class and be a ripper lens on your 60D . . . but that is at the big money end of the spectrum.</p>

<p>I advise that this is all predicated on you wanting (and using) the EF lenses you buy with your 60D.<br>

As Cory (and others) mentioned there are a lot SLR kits out there for practically no money at all and with very good lenses – simply the lenses cannot easily be easily used with Digital gear.<br>

<strong><em>So it might well be false economy buying EF lenses if you are not going to use them with you 60D.</em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

WW </p>

<p>Actually, I have the Canon 24-70 mm/2.8 lens. However, I use the 15-85, for some reason I got used to it more, my friend really likes the 28-70 Tameron, but I don't know that much about Tameron. But I can use the 24-70 again. I am trying to sell the Nikon counterpart to the 24-70mm currently (my sister was kind enough to remember that I enjoy photos, but didn't remember the camera xD). I would say that the 24-70 has good balence and it shouldn't be hard readjusting to it.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I would ask the teacher if an all manual camera is required as others have stated. If so, then you have a wide choice, Pentax, Minolta, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Praktica and others have made some fantastic mechanical cameras, many of them are still hiding in closets and others are plentiful on eBay. Depending on where you live, some makes and models might be more readily available. For the kind of money you are talking, you could have your choice of what is out there. Consider places like KEH.</p>

<p>One important thing is if you can get your hands on several different kinds, try them out and see which feels better to you. Which one works the way you expect it to and that feels good in your hands. Some cameras have battery issues, they use the old mercury batteries that are no longer available but there are simple work arounds for these. Some of my personal favorites are the Pentax K1000, Minolta SRT 202 and the Nikkormat FT3. These are all manual, match the needle metering types. </p>

<p>You can always use your digital camera to practice the effect of focal length on your photography and if the film camera doesn't have a meter then it would be possible to use th Canon to get your exposures with film. So just a body and a 'standard' lens would be all you really need. I would hope that would cost you less than $100 even for a great camera :-) That is judging from what I got when I dumped all my film gear last year that didn't match up with my digital.<br>

I like the idea of MF becuase it is easier to get good quality with them. Rolleiflex's were going for $500 last time I looked. .... it is interesting shooting for a square format though mine had a 16 on 120 adaptor plate in it which gave me a 6x4.5cm negative like a P&S or bridge camera. When I had problems some years back before I switched to digital I bought Pentax cameras from Cash Converters [et al] though I did buy a dummy once and the camera bombed out due to water damgae I didn't notice after a short time.</p>