Lightroom 3 deal questions

<p>I just received an email from Adobe regarding a special price of $99 for LR3 after a $200 off instant rebate.</p>

<p>I currently own Paint Shop Pro X2 and am fairly comfortable with using the basics.</p>

<p>I Recently purchased PhotoShop Elements 9, but it doesn't run so well when I try to print to my 24" plotter...memory issues. I haven't tried printing to another printer at this point. I'm running W7 Pro with 4 GB installed (I know, only 3 GB is available).</p>

<p>As a casual tweaker in post processing, auto 'fix', some cropping or upsizing, etc, will LR3 give me any benefit? At $250-300 I wouldn't bother....but at $100 I'm tempted.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance,<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Here's the email..... they're claiming the original list price is $299...so I believe it to be the full version, not an upgrade.</p>

<p>Fine print...</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="624">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td width="26" valign="top">

<p>* </p>

</td>

<td width="598" valign="top">

<p>Offer terms and conditions: The US$99 price offer for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 software is available only to licensed users of Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 or Adobe Photoshop Elements & Adobe Premiere® Elements version 7, 8, or 9 software who purchase the full version of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 directly from Adobe. The US$99 promotional price is redeemable only from the commercial Adobe store or Adobe Sales Call Center. When purchasing from the <a href="http://direct.adobe.com/r?xnHTJcnEPnnPJEqqcnWJq&PROMO_CODE=5693BDAC">Adobe.com store</a>, you must enter directly from the "Buy now" link above and place the product in your cart in order for the discount to be reflected. When purchasing from the Adobe Sales Call Center, mention offer code FEB99LR. Offer begins February 28, 2011, and ends March 11, 2011, at 11:59 p.m. PST. Limit one copy of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 per customer. Offer is not valid to owners of Photoshop Album, Photoshop Limited Edition, or PhotoDeluxe. Offer is not available to education or volume licensing customers, or to resellers. Prices are in U.S. dollars. All prices are available from the <a href="http://direct.adobe.com/r?xnHTJcnEPnnPJEqqcnWJq&PROMO_CODE=5693BDAC">Adobe.com store</a> and by calling 800-585-0774 and are valid in the U.S. and Canada only (excluding Quebec). Applicable local sales taxes may apply, and shipping charges may apply. Allow 2–3 weeks for software delivery. Offer subject to change or withdrawal without notice. Void where prohibited.<br /> <br /> Adobe, the Adobe logo, Adobe Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop, and the Photoshop logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.<br /> <br /> © 2011 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.<br /> <br /> PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. To obtain information on how to contact Adobe, visit the web at:<br /> <a href="http://direct.adobe.com/r?xnHTJcnEPnPPPEqqcnWlH" target="_blank">www.adobe.com/misc/comments.html</a>, or call 800-833-6687.<br /> <br /> This is an advertising message from Adobe Systems Incorporated, its affiliates and agents ("Adobe"), 345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110 USA. If you'd prefer not to receive e-mail like this from Adobe in the future, please <a href="http://direct.adobe.com/u?xcTHlJcEnHTJcnEqqcnWvH" target="_blank">click here to unsubscribe</a> or send an e-mail to <a href="mailto:unsubscribe-na@adobesystems.com">unsubscribe-na@adobesystems.com</a>. Alternatively, you may mail your unsubscribe request to:<br /> <br /> Adobe Systems Incorporated<br /> Attn: Change of Address/Privacy<br /> 343 Preston Street<br /> Ottawa, ON K1S 1N4<br /> Canada<br /> <br /> Your privacy is important to us. Please review Adobe's Online Privacy Policy by clicking here:<br /> <a href="http://direct.adobe.com/r?xnHTJcnEPnPPnEqqcnWlc" target="_blank">www.adobe.com/misc/privacy.html</a>.</p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<div>00YJEr-336185584.jpg.09e0c119e788a7c6ff9c495046b6a1de.jpg</div>

<p>Howard,</p>

<p>Thanks. What does Lightroom 3 do that would make it worthwhile to spend $100?</p>

<p>I'm not looking for something to organize my photos...I already do that with properly named folders. I don't want something to pull the pics off my D300...I already do that with Windows Explorer.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Not unusual at all. I was offered PS CS5 at half price after a couple of years using Elements.</p>

<p>Mark, download the trial version and play with it for a couple of days. Check out some online tutes, lightroomkillertips.com, lightroomtforums.net, and plenty of others. I use LR for 98% of my PP and 100% of my DAM, and I'd be hard-pressed to give it up. YMMV.</p>

<p>Adobe does this every so often - gives a steep discount for registered users of Photoshop Elements (purchased, not bundled). I bought into Photoshop (v3) many years ago. I got Lightroom 1 for $99 as a Photoshop user.</p>

<p>Lightroom 3 is a great product which has many of the features formerly reserved to Photoshop. It will do non-destructive edits (without making copies) on all file types, not just RAW files. Printing is about the weakest part of Lightroom. It prints accurately and uses print profiles, but you can't get too fancy with it. It won't print to a CMYK printer (e.g. a color laserjet), and it's hard to make a photo package or lock down crop sizes. I put about 10x as many images through Lightroom alone as through Photoshop.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm not looking for something to organize my photos...I already do that with properly named folders.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Can you create a collection of your photos that pulls individual photos and spans multiple folders? Can you put photos into multiple collections? Can you keyword photos? Just putting them in folders doesn't come close to the organization you can do in Lightroom.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't want something to pull the pics off my D300</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's a minor function of Lightroom that many people don't use. However, as someone who uses it, I can ask similar questions as above. Does Windows Explorer let you view the photos as a group before importing and quickly select which will be imported and which won't? Does Windows Explorer automatically backup to a second location on import? Does Windows Explorer let you apply certain parameters to all imported photos on import? </p>

<p>That's just to point out the difference in the few things you mentioned. There's many more functions that are available in Lightroom...</p>

<p>Agree, they do this to get you onto their platform. I just bought LR3 at the student price which was $89. Shortly after I realized how big a pain in the butt it would be to switch to some other method. Their catalog is not compatible with anyone else that the metadata represents hours of time. Once you've begun to use their software, its likely that you'll purchase future upgrades. </p>

<p>I like what LR3 does, except I'm having some trouble with the library functioning properly. </p>

<p>You may want to shop all of the offerings and decide which software you most like based on the features, and then decide if you want to move away from Elements.</p>

<p>There is an upgrade at $99 and this apparent offer of LR3 at the reduced price if you bought Photoshop Elements 9. It says good to March 11th and to all states in the US and all provinces in Canada, but excluding Quebec. Is the latter excluded because there is no French language version, or something else? Would I have to have both the PS Elements and LR3 shipped to an Ontario address I occasionally occupy? Appreciate it, if anyone knows.</p>