Is wearing your camera around your next safe when traveling to a foreign country?

martine_sansoucy

<p>There are several issues here, but maybe one solution.<br>

Traveling with a big heavy camera and several lenses is great if you consider it a photo safari, but being a tourist toting all that weight around can be a pain. And most of the shots are going to be "street photos" - candids. So unless you are going on a real safari, a high end P&S or a micro-4/3 camera is a fine choice. I've carried a camera on trips for almost 50 years. In the 60s-70s, it was a Kodak Retina IIIc folding camera or a Leica M2 with 35 and 90 mm lenses. In the 80s-90s, a Minox 35 was always in my briefcase on my world travels. When digital cameras became sufficiently high quality, I used high end P&S cameras (Nikon & Panasonic) that fit in a briefcase or pocket. Last year, before a trip to Turkey, I bought a Olympus E-P1 with the 14-42 lens and was extremely pleased with the results. My son who was traveling on through the Middle East and India for 6 months talked me into letting him take it and I brought his Sony DSLR home to CA. Since then, I have purchased a E-PL1 and E-PL2 plus 9-18 and 40-150 lenses. Now I can travel light or take 2 bodies and 3 lenses for less weight than the Nikon D300/18-200 they have supplanted.<br>

The other issue is safety. Buy a army surplus backpack or cheap bag and get some of the padded wraps to keep the cameras safe. Stealth is the word. And in Mexico, avoid crowded clubs - it's war down there!</p>

<div>00YIVw-335729584.jpg.263a269f6d2b3d3dbf0dc39d74f0c6e4.jpg</div>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>If you have homeowners or renters insurance, adding a policy rider to cover your camera equipment is generally pretty inexpensive. I'm in the insurance business and always suggest it when I find out one of my clients is a photographer. These riders typically cover theft and most evert other kind of loss short of product malfunction - often without having to pay a deductible.</p>

<p>My guess is that it is more important what you do than what country you go to. If you have travelled around in the US or Canada for years without being robbed, that <em>probably</em> means that you already take the right precautions, and you will be fine in other countries as well.<br>

I spent a few days in Guangzhou a few years ago, and only after I left, I learnt that the city had some sort of reputation of being a crime capital of China. I had had no problems whatsoever. When I left Palermo by train after a visit, a native of the city warned me that people were murdered there all the time. I had seen no crimes at all. However, I had admittedly seen some parts of the city where I would not necessarily show a top end DSLR if I could avoid it, especially at night.<br>

I have been witness to a few crimes in different countries, but they have often been against "repeat victims", i.e. people who are absent minded or careless, and, unfortunately, look vulnerable.<br>

You are of course never 100% safe, even if you are constantly alert, but the risk is much, much smaller.</p>

<p>I've travelled a lot in the Middle East and southern Africa (was only ever pickpocketed & mugged in Johannesburg, no surprises there). I always carry my camera with the strap wrapped around my wrist. You can at least hold on to it if someone tries to grab it. Also, it's more comfortable and gives me more control when taking pics. YMMV.</p>

<p>Couple of tips from me:</p>

<p>Insure everything or leave it at home if you can't afford to replace it; then you won't worry.</p>

<p>Think about who (or what) you point the camera at. There have been examples of people getting into trouble taking pics of military aircraft for example. I've wandered into some hostile neighbourhoods in the past while travelling, and I often choose not to take a picture if the situation doesn't feel right. <br>

Nb. the <strong>only</strong> time my old film Nikon ever let me down was when I took a picture of a carved wooden witch doctor. I took one frame and it jammed. I had to have it repaired at our next destination!</p>

<p>Take more care in tourist destinations.</p>

<p>I would echo what others have said. People are basically good wherever you go. Don't worry too much. In the very unlikely event that you are mugged, let them have the camera - you can always buy another one.</p>

<p>Have a great trip!</p>

<p>Chris</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The drug cartels in Mexico are targeting Americans and Europeans. Credit card fraud is the first target, but there is some indication that kidnapping for ransom and some retaliatory killings for arrests in the United States are happening. The tourist enclaves are becoming high risk target areas. I work in the area of security and several of my neighbors have recently returned from Mexico (where they actually have owned property for several decades) and were targeted successfully for credit card fraud and will not be returning soon. The Mexican government cannot provide for your safety. I would seriously consider another destination for your trip.</p>

<p>I travel to Mexico all the time with three cameras and gear. I've never had any problems entering or leaving the country. Mexico will not hand inspect film it has to go through the airport scanner so take low ISO film. Mexico does have a limit of 12 rolls of film (per camera) that you can bring in to the country but I have never had anyone count my rolls. Most tourist spots ran by the government do not allow tripods (you can apply for a special permit months in advance). I have never had any safety issues even in remote areas. Use the same common sense you would use at home and you will be fine. It is a very beautiful country. </p>

<p>Dont worry too much about theft in Europe...provided of course you don't visit the sketchier parts of Naples/Rome etc. in the middle of the night...again common sense. Mexico may be different. Parts of Mexico City or other larger cities probably arent good to flash you L lenses. I once had locals in Quito, Ecuador comment on the fact that certain neighborhoods weren't safe for taking photos. I always carry my gear in the most non-branded, non camera bag I can find....seems to work so far......(knock on wood)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Howdy!</p>

<p>As an engineer, I would caution against putting too much stock in anecdotal evidence. Just because none of the responders (so far) has ever had a problem doesn't mean you won't. The number of responders do not constitute a significant statistical sample.</p>

<p>I have been to many countries, including Mexico, and walked in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods on the planet. The advice is always the same. Don't look like a tourist, and carry your money where pickpockets can't get to it.</p>

<p>That said, cameras are one of the least favorite targets of experienced thieves for a number of reasons:</p>

<ul>

<li>They are easily damaged in a heist, making the effort worthless.</li>

<li>They are easily traced by serial number, thus making them hard to fence.</li>

<li>They are not easily concealed after a heist, so they tend to mark a criminal in a poorer area as they are fleeing.</li>

</ul>

<p>Of course, there's always the possibility that an inexperienced thief will see your camera and go for it anyway. Also, by wearing a camera around your neck, you mark yourself as a tourist, which is always a bad idea. Try to fit in as much as possible. I would carry my camera in a non-descript shoulder pack instead of around my neck, and I would never look at a map or GPS where anybody could see me.</p>

<p>Tuppence,</p>

<p>Paulsky</p>

<p>When my wife and I go on an international trip we carry different credit cards. We always record the numbers on the cards and the international phone numbers to call if the cards are stolen. I used to carry my one card in my front pants pocket until it was pick pocketed at the Eifel Tower in Paris. I now carry it in a neck pouch under my shirt. My back up card is in the hotel safe or some place similar. My wife does the same with her cards. All of the other stuff in our wallets for home use stays home !.<br>

I am a great believer in tripple backup for digital photos. I usually back up my CF cards onto two separate hyperdrives and/or a laptop if I have one with me. I carry my CF cards in a CF case made by Think Tank that has a clip on it that I can attach to something so it will not get lost or misplaced.<br>

The safest way to always have a copy of your passport is to make an electronic copy of it and email it to you.<br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>IMHO, the reward of awesome vacation photos far outweighs the risk of having your equipment stolen. As others have noted, just be careful, have your equipment insured, and have fun!<br>

I've never used a strap on my SLRs, preferring instead to carry them in a shoulder bag and only get them out when I'm shooting. When I'm traveling I often use an old, ratty, messenger bag. It's tough, waterproof, and with a sweater or something in the bottom protects the camera pretty well.<br>

I've been to Mexico several times and I think the riskiest activity by far is riding in cabs.</p>

<p>Here is what I use: A non-descript non-camera style bag. Inside the bag I have placed camera bag inserts that I have purchased separately. The shoulder strap should be long enough to wrap across your chest so that it can not be pulled off you shoulder. On the shoulder strap I have attached a climbing carbiner purchased from a outdoor recreation store. The biggest problem that I have seen written about is snatch while you are unattentive. When eating or resting I use the carabiner to attach the strap around itself onto and immovable object. When using the camera I wrap the strap around my wrist. Most of all if I go somewhere that I am uncertain of I will take not my primary camera but a good throw away that I will give up. </p>

<p>Why worry? Insure your cameras before you leave and enjoy yourself. As a previous poster mentioned, most homeowner's insurance allow for a rider that is called "Inland Marine" Coverage (not sure why) that covers the insured item against pretty much any kind of loss. It is inexpensive. I once accidentally dropped a very expensive Canon L lens halfway down a cliff in Yellowstone Park, and it was covered. This, of course, is exactly what insurance is for--to protect you against loss due to a low probability but expensive event. </p>

<p>Get one of the many travel guides to the places you intend to visit, most of these highlight areas to be avoided. I should imagine these are also parts you wouldn't want to photograph anyway. In my experience, in Spain, pickpockets are a bigger menace than muggers, some of the tricks they use are very cunning. I should imagine this applies to any tourist area of the world.<br>

Concentrate on taking good photos, but don't get too involved that you are not aware of what's going on around you. I would guess that a camera on a strap around your neck is quite hard to take anyway.<br>

Don't let fear of crime spoil your vacation though, chances are you will have a really great time.</p>

<p>Another piece of advice: get an extremely lightweight overshirt, and ALWAYS wear it. LL Bean makes an excellent super-lightweight button-down shirt with flaps for holding your sleeves in the rolled-up position. You can find it in the Fishing department. I wear one of these shirts (or the North Face version) almost every day of almost every trip. I button the bottom few buttons, and leave it mostly open. You can wear your camera (or your purse) across your chest like a messenger bag, and until you go to use it, would-be thieves only see a strap and a bulge under your shirt. Once you put the camera/purse/both back under the shirt, thieves will have a much more difficult time making off with them without being noticed and causing a ruckus.</p>

<p>Also, any time you need to put a bag down, step into the strap. That way you're effectively 'holding' the bag with your leg.</p>

<p>Obviously neither of these tips will help you against thieves that are willing to hurt you to take things. But it will help for the vast majority of thieves, who want to grab your stuff and run away before you can react.</p>

<p>Look, what would the poster advise anyone coming to his/her country as a touris re cameras? Keep camera out of sight and take almost no pics or use camera as usual?</p>

<p>That same advice (and I do not know what it might be, not knowing where and how poster lives) should be followed anywhere on earth. Mexico, Italy etc. Cameras are cheap, life in fear is not worth the trouble.</p>

<p>I have been going to the same town in Mexico for the past 8 years, and have never had a problem with stolen gear. I took about $5000 worth of video gear one year, and had a blast videotaping locals on the beach being candid etc, and they tended to invite me to video them! I agree with a lot of previous posters about being cautious, though, and just using common sense. My gear was almost always in the bag, and strapped to my shoulders. I never leave gear in my room, and choose instead to take it with me (who wants to miss a good photo op!). The one time I left my bag in the room I hid it very well. This is in a town where the majority of tourists are more wealthy Mexicans from Guadalajara coming to the coast to be near the oceans with their family. Besides, insurance is for peace of mind, so get some if you are taking expensive gear etc. I would focus more on having a good vacation, and just look low-key (blend in!).<br>

Paul</p>

<p>I've travelled through more than a few places where it is impossible to look like anything other than a tourist, with a camera around my neck, without any problems. Cambodia, Laos, Guatemala, Mexico, Vietnam, Turkey, Honduras, Belize, and even Los Angeles!<br>

There is some excellent advice here already, my three favorites so far are;<br>

-Insurance- if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel. Health insurance is the top priority, but a travel policy will cover your possesions too, taking some of the stress out of travelling.<br>

-Back-Up - it's one thing to have an expensive camera stolen. It can be replaced. But if you have ALL of your photos on the memory card inside the camera, then there was no point in bringing the camera in the first place!<br>

-Stay Aware - don't put bags down without your leg through one of the straps. Always have just a little suspicion that someone might take your stuff, even at home. Take the time to scan 360 degrees around you, as a photographer you are probably doing this already! Be alert (but not alarmed!).<br>

My own little piece of advice (which was passed to me from some very well travelled photographers) is to make your camera look like it is not worth stealing. How? Make it look like it is held together with gaffer-tape. Use the stuff with threads in it, it looks the trashiest! Obviously don't cover any of the dials or sensors, but lots of strips and pieces over the panels and grips looks bad- which is good! Pay particular attention to covering the brand name and lettering. Don't have a camera strap with logos - mine does, but it is covered over with embroidered cloth from Vietnam. Not only does it cover the brand name, but makes it look old and well travelled. And much more comfy on my neck too!<br>

When you are home, if you want to go back to being a "conspicuous consumer", peel all the tape off and clean up with a little "goo-remover" (make sure it is safe for plastics).<br>

The added bonus of the tape is that it will protect all your shiny new equipment, so when you get back from your trip you will have hundreds of fantastic photos and a camera that looks like it never left home.</p>

<p>I cannot say anything for Mexico (as I haven't been there with an expensive camera - just my ancient fully manual, film Minolta), but Italy is pretty safe, don't worry, especially Rome (even though I wouldn't say the same for, say, Naples or Milan on a Sunday evening).</p>

<p>In Mexico someone tried to mug me (actually there were two of them, one was a lookout), but they got more than they bargained for, as I sent one of them to the hospital (with the result of having to spent a wonderful 6 hours in a police station explaining the incident again and again and again and attempting to make the police officer understand WHY when someone brandishes a knife at you, breaking their arm and leg may be a justified responce!), but they simply asked for my money, no mention of camera or watch!<br>

Now in Italy, some pickpocket might go after your wallet or passport (if they are somewhere about your person in an easily accessible place), maybe an expensive ring or watch (and let me tell you, they can have those things off you without you ever understanding anything) but they have no interest in your camera(s) or lens(es). These are things they will have to try and sell, often for a couple (if they're lucky) hundred dollars and not really worth their time or the risk involved. I've travelled with gear costing over 15,000 euros (and displaying it, as it's hard to hide a couple of D3s with massive lenses on them, even if my camera bag is by trusty but WELL worn and beat up Domke which looks nothing like a camera bag) and nobody even turned to look twice. Imagine, there WILL be people like me walking around you in Rome and if someone wanted to go for a camera, they will be more prime targets....</p>

<p>You'll be fine, don't worry...</p>

<p>As an Italian who is very keen when traveling I can say "no problem at all touring Italy with your camera". Just use the common sense in the big cities (Milano, Roma, etc). I can't speak about Naples (never been there) wich is considered quite dangerous for tourist even if my friends from Naples say it is not true. Anyway I would pay more attention there and in the biggest cities in the south (Palermo, Bari)in general, even if i went there many times (Sicily is wonderful) with non problem. Traveling in the other parts of italy is very safe, no problem lugging around your camera but do not leave it unattended and do not leave it in the car (but this is common sense).</p>