Classic Summicrons and colour work

<p>Seeing kodachrome disapear like that made me regret never shooting colour slide film. This being said, I want to try some E6, both Fuji and Kodak.</p>

<p>I have an M6 and 50mm Summicron Rigid on the way. I hear a lot about the virtues of the 50mm Summicron for black & white work, and a lot of praise for either the dual range or the rigid.</p>

<p>I don't, however, hear much about their use for colour photography. Any thoughts here? I get the impression that the newer lens, with more contrast, are better suited for colour work. Am I wrong in thinking this?</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>One would expect an increase of contrast with modern Leica lenses because of superior lens coatings. However, whether this means your ridged 50mm Summicron is less suitable for color photography is totally in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I find some modern lenses too contrasty and prefer the shadow/highlight detail and color tonal range rendered by some older Leica lenses like my DR Summicron. Your ridged Summicron is perfectly suited for color photography, in my opinion and especially so with transparency film which is generally more contrasty to begin with (Fuji Velvia).</p>

<p>Robert, Paul;</p>

<p>Thanks. I'm hoping to get it back from Gerry Smith (Kindermann) in a few weeks. Not sure how backed up he was. I'm excited as I'm going to shoot for a year with this camera and lens only. I'm not doing the one film for a year because I want to learn everything I can about the M6 and the 50mm Summicron. This will give me more time to research 35mm lens and find one for a good price. I'm excited about the 50 Rigid - the glass is in Excellent ++ condition. The oil was completely dried up so it wasn't smooth as it should be. Hopefully it comes back in great working order. It's a 1965 Summi.</p>

<p>I think the Zeiss have very high colour contrast. I had the 50mm ZF F1.4 on my Nikon D90 and the colours were very vibrant - almost more so than what I considered natural.</p>

<p>I don't know anything about E6 so not sure what to purchase from Freestyle or B&H. Any recommendations here to pair with the 50 Rigid? I use Tri-X and Rodinal for B&W work.</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>Julian...I have two Summicrons, 50mm...the newest model with the retractable hood and an older ridgid model...both are more than excellent in color or B&W. For the most part, I cannot tell the difference between the reproductions made be either lens. In time, you will learn to love the tonal effect, saturation, etc. of the Leica products as I have over the past 30 years using them. To me, they really shine when you are shooting in less than harsh light, street shadows or the like. My next favorite lens is the Summaron 35mm F 2.8. Trust me, I have had them all to compare!! Thanks, from the Frenchman like you. Sonny Chastant in Louisiana.</p>

<p>Totally...with a name like 'Chastant', totally French/Acadian! Where are you...I am in Crowley, LA, deep in the Cajun Country. My french is lacking from lack of practice, but otherwise it slips back into the vocabulary from time to time. Moi Deiu!!<br>

Yes, you will love the Leica for all the good reasons. Over the years I have had the opportunity to collect and use many Leicas. My collections spans the years from the 111f's all the way to the M models...not to mention the extensive R collections, too. Yet, if I have to say which are my favorites (note the plural), it would be the M3 with 50mm, M6ttl with the 35mm and the R 6.2 with the 28mm/ 50mm. We thad advent of the digital age, digitizing of negatives vice the current, you will get the most from your Leica with either B&W or Slide.<br>

Too many Leicas, I suppose..my Son will get the majority of the 100+ cameras and lenses.<br>

SLR's have their place, rangefinder cameras have their place...digital has a small place with me. I mostly use the digital when I need to send a picture quickly using the computer and for minor stuff when traveling. Though, I do use the Leica Digilux 2...truely Leica and outstanding!<br>

Sonny</p>

<p>Sonny,</p>

<p>Can you adopt me? I will gladly inherit your cameras - even if just half.</p>

<p>I'm from New Brunswick, Canada. Currently living in Halifax Nova Scotia. Both strongholds of Acadien people. I'm french/english, and speak a bit o German - but that's just because I think it's interesting, and not my heritage at all.</p>

<p>I hope to one day have tried so many great cameras and lenses.</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>I've shot chome and E 6 with three Summicrons; LTM collapsible, Summicon II and Summicron R. The results with color are, as mentioned above, a matter of preference. As you shoot in different lighting conditions, you'll find the Summicron works well, the difference will be made by the film type. Shooting the same images with both types of film may point you to the film type you prefer. Too bad you'll never get a chance to shoot Kodachrome.</p>

<p>I would abandon the one lens asceticism and reconsider purchasing a 35mm lens now. As I postulated in a previous post, the Summaron f3.5 is a great performer and only a little bigger than a Canadian Toonie: perfect for travel. Believe me when I say there will be lost images because the 50mm crops too tightly, Julien. It's the perfect street photography focal length.</p>

<p>With the older lenses the number of air to glass surfaces tends to be inversely related to contrast. An Elmar has only six and is pretty high contrast even with 1950s coating technology. A 1st generation 'cron has -er- I lose count, especially with those "air lenses" between the front uncemented pairs. You lose a fair bit of light (so under-rate the film speed) and get lower contrast. The later multi-coatings do a much better job at suppressing reflections.</p>