Nikkor17-55mm f2.8 - Bargain from KEH?

evilsivan

<p>My next purchase is definitely going to be a Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8. Probably this coming July. Last July I purchased from KEH an EX+ Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR1. It is awesome, and also in great condition.<br>

Since KEH has such a good reputation and an easy return policy, I was thinking about getting a 'Bargain' condition 17-55, thereby saving 400-600$ compared to a new one or an EX condition one, and maybe getting myself a TC-E 14 (and maybe some ND filters) with the left over money. I searched the forum here and it seems like others have had good luck with Bargain condition lenses. What say you, oh sage PNetters? (Pnutters more like it ;)</p>

<p>Yes I have bought bargain that looked new to me! I have also bought "ugly" from them and have been extremely pleased. These generally have extremely minor cleaning marks or minor scratches on the glass that would likely never affect an image, and you get these for less than 1/4 the price of "ex". </p>

<p>I echo everyone else....KEH is a great place to do business. Their rating system is extremely conservative, and you can return anything you don't like. Their "bargain" grade would probably be an "excellent" grade at some other places. </p>

<p>Also, I have the 17-55, and it's a tremendous lens. I use mine on a D200.</p>

<p>About a year ago, I decided on purchasing a Nikon 80-400VR. KEH had one in EX condition with a Really Right Stuff tripod mount. I phoned twice to confirm that the lens included the collar and tripod foot.</p>

<p>When I received the lens, it was placed in the padded nikon lens case, not wrapped in anything, and the padded case was in a larger box bouncing around inside with a wad of brown paper. The lens included the collar only. The collar has a 1/4" thread, but with a very small dovetail base exactly like the 70-200VR. I tried several generic acra plates, but could not get a secure way of mounting the lens on a pod for test purposes.</p>

<p>I contacted them about this by phone and the person that handled this was to was to be out of the office for several days. They tried to explain that the people who write the product descriptions and phone support never see the actual item and rely on people at the warehouse. I find it hard to believe there is so little sharing of info, especially on a higher end product.</p>

<p>Days went by and I contacted them again. Same story. I finally got disgusted, called for an RMA, ponied up $50. for return shipping and sent the lens back. 2 days later I got a call saying they would send me a mounting foot.</p>

<p>I informed them I had returned the lens and UPS already had listed it as being delivered. On the bright side, I purchased the lens for $400. less, elsewhere. Because my experience didn't quite match all the positive things that I continually read, I'd be hard pressed to say that I probably will not plan do business with them again.</p>

<p>Everything I have ever ordered from KEH has arrived wrapped a plastic bag with a label, then wrapped in bubble plastic and taped. It does come in a box padded with brown paper, but I have never felt that my purchase was under-protected.<br>

I have purchased several BGN lenses and several items from their as-is bin, and have always been satisfied with the condition and the performance of what I received.</p>