5d mk 1 or 60d?

louis_webb

<blockquote>

<p>The 5D has a bigger viewfinder and allows FF lenses to work as they should,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Huh? As if EF lenses will begin to melt when mounted on a cropped sensor?! Come on now...<br>

It is just a matter of change in FL. AFAIK, with the introduction of the EF-S 10-22, the cropped sensor cameras will now have all the range and more over an FF in terms of FL.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"AFAIK, with the introduction of the EF-S 10-22, <strong><em>the cropped sensor cameras will now have all the range and more </em></strong>over an FF in terms of FL."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In terms of comparing the EF range on FF vs. EF-S range of APS-C, there are a few non equivalents.<br>

<strong>Apropos Focal Length:</strong><br>

EF14/2.8<br>

EF 15/2.8 F<br>

EF8 -15/4 F (when released)</p>

<p><strong>In terms of FL and Movement:</strong><br>

TS-E 17<br>

TS-E 24 (both) (yes - the 17 gets close)</p>

<p><strong>If we include Aperture Speed then add:</strong><br>

EF16-35/2.8<br>

24/1.4<br>

35/1.4 (yes the 24 gets close)<br>

24 70/2.8 (comparing zooms, at the wide end)</p>

<p>There might be more<br>

WW</p>

<p>No.<br />I didn't <em>forget</em> to mention the x1.6 reach at all.<br />Neither did I forget to mention the Tokina, nor any other 3rd party lenses. <br />I was only addressing the stand alone comment of yours, which I quoted and the implied question you asked, which was contained in that statement i.e. "AFAIK".<br />I limited my response to only EF / EF-S lenses, as you quoted only a Canon Lens, as your evidence.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>In regard to the x1.6 reach on the tele end of APS-C format . . .<br />It is specifically this point COMBINED with the fact that there are more wide options for 135 Format, that when I cut over all my studio and personal gear to Digital, we made a conscious decision to run ONLY all Dual Format Kits, with ONLY EF lenses.<br />On previous threads here at PN, have made lengthy commentary on our Dual Format Kits; explaining the rationale for the each choice of lens and camera.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Of those two, I would chose the 5D. Sensor size means more than a few extra bells and whistles IMO. And it is also better build. Plastic simply shouldn't be used for camera bodies.</p>

<p>I would also consider a second hand 1D or 1Ds instead. <br>

Your budget will easily get you a 1Ds mk1 and a 1D mk3 should be within reach as well. With a little luck maybe even a 1Ds mk2.</p>

<p>You might want to hang on to a few of your old lenses. There is an adaptor that will allow you to use them on EOS cameras.</p>

<p>Another vote for the 5D1. I longed for one for years after I got my 400D and started to save up diligently for one. I come from 35mm film shooting, and I could never quite accept the "cropping" of FoV on my APS-C sensor camera :) Just as I had enough $ for one, out came the Mark II. I waited a few ok many more) months and got one. Never been happier :)</p>

<p>Landscape photography implies a generally controlled shooting environment: use of a steady tripod is assumed (coming from medium format and all), so shooting at lower ISOs and shutter speeds should not be an issue. In that case, the 5D would be a very good tool. As has been said, the 24-105L is a fine lens. For a long time it was my go-to lens on my 5D2. For landscapes I prefer the ultra-wide realm of the 17 but as a walkaround, one-lens solution, my 24-105 would win hands-down.</p>

<p>You may also wish to consider purchasing some of your kit from across the Pond. Are there duty/tax/VAT implications? I ask because I know from my days in the UK that many things were significantly more expensive than buying in the US...</p>

<p>Well I took a punt and went for the used 5d. In the cold light of a wet grey Reading morning, squinting in the darkness of the shop, my initial enthusiasm gave way to realism.....the camera isn't in mint condition but it is clean and the shop has done a sensor clean (they normally charge £49 for a FF clean). It comes with a 6 month warranty and I can try it for 14 days and take it back if I don't like it. As my funds were so tight, I've had to compromise on the glass-I got a used but very clean 28-135. I figure that I can learn how to use the set-up and tinker with the software over the next few months and if I get vaguely proficient, then I can plump for some better glass.<br>

Many thanks for all of your suggestions, they have been most helpful.</p>

<p>Congratulations Louis, I don't think you can go wrong. Ditto the weather here in Derbyshire today but at least you can have a look at the manual and salivate at the clear bright days to come. I genuinely love using my 5D after a few years of using croppers. It's almost like learning to see in a whole new way again.</p>

<p>Congratulations! Now you can start saving for a 17-40mm f4L. I have a 5D1, a 500D, and a Bronica S2. I sold my my RB67 and 127mm C lens to help pay for a 17-40L. You made the right choice in camera bodies, especially for landscape. The 28-135mm is a fun lens, but I doubt that it will satisfy a former MF shooter in landscape use. If you can, lease a 17-40L for a week or two in good weather. Then you'll see what that 5D can really do.</p>

<p>5D is an wonderful camera for those that want a no-nonsense high IQ camera. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that today's camera have. But if you want a straight out honest camera that delivers stunning visuals, few can compare.<br>

My issue with it is dust!</p>