League Incentives for Team and Individual Photography

christy_bunge

<p>I am just starting to jump into the world of Team and Individual Photography. I have photographed the local wrestling club and middle school cheer. I really want to start to market myself and was wondering what type of incentives do other photographers offer to the leagues. Do you offer a percentage? A percentage along with free product? Any input would be appreciated.</p>

<p>This sort of thing can really vary from league to league or even depending on what location you are in.</p>

<p>Generally we offer something like 10-20% commission depending on what they usually receive as well as free team pictures for the league or coach. Some leagues prefer a sponsorship over a %.. and some leagues just prefer a flat amount contribution. </p>

<p>When you are dealing with schools - generally its 10-20% of the sales plus free pictures for coach and school (yearbook). Schools will be harder because a good school photographer will get those pictures bundled into their school picture contract.</p>

<p>Of course offer what you feel comfortable with. Once you are out there for a while you'll also get an idea what other competitors in your area are offering.</p>

<p>Christy -</p>

<p>Few things to keep in mind:<br>

1) There's always someone out there who will beat your deal with the league - don't try to compete on that basis.<br>

2) Free product for coaches and sponsors is table stakes. - You don't do / provide that - you're not at the table.<br>

3) Instead of a percentage - do an add on to the price of your package - if you have a $25 package - let the league set the add on - say $5 or $3. - that then goes right to the league.<br>

4) Don't underestimate the value of having product to show the league board.<br>

And finally - don't get locked into a single league - parents change, boards change - there may be a league or team you've done for 2 - 3 years - then a parent that's not happy with you or your work gets on the board and you're out. The opposite can also happen - new parents - want a new photographer / approach.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Agree with David. My biggest push is to provide as much (within reason) to the sponsors for free. I want the league to prosper and each time a sponsor plaque is hanging in a store or showroom, my name is on it and it's free advertising.<br>

I have no problem offering freebies to coaches BUT we have reached the point where a coach must place a minimum order for their child's photo. Far too many caught on and simply took the free team photo and gave it to their kid. On smaller teams, that's a killer.<br>

I have not and will not offer % of sales. You get on that road and there's always someone who will offer more - just like prices.<br>

Last thing to ask yourself: Do you want to compete on innovation and quality or price? If it's price, you'll be struggling until you are out of business. I've seen hundreds of people go that route and that's the result 99 times out of 100.<br>

DougA</p>

<p>That you all for your great responses. There is one company here that seems like it has a monopoly on the market. They hire young camera operators and the final product isn't good. One year they used a player's football with their name emblazoned on it. That year all 28 kids on the team had the name "SMITH" in their photos! Other times they are blurry, harsh shadows, etc. etc. This is my first time showing those teams my end product, while they are impressed they say it is easier to pick up the phone to call that company because they know the routine. I just wish they'd see they are actually losing money because the parent's are buying anymore, they are just tired of shoddy work. I definitely like the idea of having a add on from the league and actually offered them free buttons or bag tags so they can sell them for profit. Again thanks for the advice I do appreciate it! Happy shooting.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Christy,<br>

David has a good method. It's best to pay a set fee per athlete who makes a purchase. Among other things, there is no reason for the league to know how much money you have generated. They will more than likely use that information against you when negotiating for the following year.</p>