YEARBOOK CONTRACT MINE; NOW WHAT?

<p>After a six month courtship, I'm about to sign a contract with a high school to be the yearbook photographer. This means all the seniors-to-be come to me for a picture for the yearbook, which gives me the chance to handle their senior sessions.<br>

Please let me know all the nuances of how best to make this successful. I'm talking about anything and everything, from advance marketing, to what soda to offer them when they get here for their session.<br>

And, since the contract hasn't been signed - not even drafted - please share suggestions on that topic. As you know, many of these contracts come with the stipulation that the school gets a cut of the action. I like the notion of a flat fee because 1. It frees me and the school from having to pore over spread sheets; 2. The school gets its money up-front instead of having to wait to make sure I've collected all payments before sharing the percentage; 3. I get the impression that the amount I have to pay will probably be less, although I have to scrape it up in one big chunk.<br>

Again, I'll appreciate any thoughtful input.</p>

<p>Curt</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Paulie is being a bit harsh here. Curt is asking for help.<br>

Curt,<br>

In the state that you're located in, can the school REQUIRE that your picture is the only one that can appear in the yearbook? As an example, in NY state, a public institution is not allowed to force someone to patronize a particular business. So, regardless of who the "official" photographer is, a student can go anywhere for their yearbook picture as long as it meets the specs set by the school. This is very important for you to look into. Please contact me or post any other questions you may have....-TED :-)</p>