Need to change photo upload size

brandy_ferrell

<p>Hi! I am using a Canon PowerShot SX210 IS (although the answer you give me would probably help with any camera) - when I upload my pictures they are huge and after I resize them to a 4x6 image I am having to cut out a good portion of the photo I took.<br>

What setting do I need to change?<br>

Thank you so much for your help! :)</p>

<p>If you need to print 4 x 6 size, just select size 4 x 6 in the print dialog, and printer driver will scale the huge size picture for you, the best way for print quality.</p>

<p>Why do you need to resize them ? </p>

<p>If you do not want huge size to deal with, then set your camera to the lowest quality and size. But you paid your good $$$ to be able to create huge size pictures. </p>

<p>The actual picture 'density' that comes in from the camera is largely irrelevant in regard to print size, once you've got enough resolution for the latter.</p>

<p>It sounds like you are cropping down by actually changing the print size while keeping the pixel density at 72 'ppi' or whatever your particular download systems uses as default. As I think you are discovering, this literally throws away all the reasons you bought a hi-res camera in the first place.</p>

<p>Resize the stored image by changing the 'pitch' or 'ppi' density by changing to 300 ppi or what ever (aka dpi, let's not get into <em>that</em> here!). Never reduce the size while keeping the 72ppi or whatever. You are destroying your pictures by doing that. Also, work with copies, not with the original file until you've got control of the variables involved.<br>

As Frank says, you need to change the size <strong><em>in the printing routine</em></strong>, not by altering the original file.</p>

<p>Hey guys, thanks for the help! I'm not the most camera savvy so I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say the ppi density. When I upload pictures it doesn't do this with my other camera . When I upload them to say Snapfish they have to be cropped because they are so large. I want them resized because I take tons of pictures (say my childs birthday party) and I need them to fit into a standard 4x6 album). I tried changing quality but it made no difference when I uploaded pictures they were all still the same size.</p>

<p>If they need to be *cropped*, then perhaps the problem is the aspect ratio -- the shape of the rectangle.</p>

<p>A 4x6 print has an aspect ratio of 2:3, while your camera has an aspect ratio of 3:4 -- it's slightly "squarer" than the print, so the top and bottom would have to be cut off to print on the 4x6 paper.</p>

<p>If I'm understanding the problem correctly, there's nothing you can do about it, except perhaps find a place that can print on 4.5x6" paper instead (<a href="http://www.ritzpix.com/net/buy-4.5x6-Photos">ritzpix.com</a> is one).</p>