New Portra 400 - Creative light modifiers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>First time I've gotten scans from Precision Camera. They are running a special for rangefinderforum members. $12/roll for these scans with free development. My Coolscan will sit unused for color for the near future. I think they are using a Noritsu.</p>

<p>Mauro, Thanks for the good input! I'll be very interested in your results and thoughts on rating it higher for your concert images. As you might well know, and if memory serves, not too long ago on the Figital Revolution site, it was mentioned that this new Portra 400 could be rated higher with good results. Of course, I suppose how it compares with the actual higher speed films will be important. I really look forward to your post on this.</p>

<p>Tim, I'll second that "Wow"; an absolutely gorgeous shot in all respects, especially the skin tones!</p>

<p>Thanks for the kind comments!</p>

<p>In my limited experience, rating it faster and processing normally gave roughly the same results as with 400NC and 400VC. Possibly an incremental improvement, but not revolutionary. Portra 800 is still going to give you more speed. As far as which people prefer, it probably comes down to whether or not people can get along with the grain in Portra 800 - which is manageable, but larger than 400. I personally would probably shoot 800 when I need higher speed film.</p>

<p>I did not push process, didn't scan at home, and didn't really work the images hard in PS. It also wasn't the most controlled test, just a bit of playing around on a Sunday afternoon. I do intend to try out a roll with a push and compare it to Portra 800. Another time though.</p>

<p>It would be great if Portra 800 got the grain improvement that 400 did.</p>

<p>Here is the first scan from the concert.</p>

<p>Sadly, (I experimented trying to have Target push the film for me) I believe they pushed it several stops. The film looks good but I can't really rate whether it is EI 800, 1600, 3200 or 6400.</p>

<p>Here is a boot closeup. This shot is good to look at the grain in the dark detail-less areas. Also to observe the freaking awesome detail Portra 400 captures in the pants.</p><div>00YCI3-330961584.jpg.2d85e79d42da1af1ba815735c40faf37.jpg</div>

<p>wow, the details in the scan is just amazing!</p>

<p>I just shot my first roll of Portra 400 on a short trip to Orlando. Really impressed with the color, clarity and lack of the grain. I think it is catching up on Portra 160 film.</p>

<p>One more thing I noticed about the new Ektar and Portra compared to the old ones like Ultracolor is that it is much easier to get rid of the film curl from the new film and keep it flat for scanning. I had a much harder time to put some freshly processed 35mm Ultra Color 400 negative into my scanner carrier. Is that just my imagination? or did Kodak improve the film base in the new film?</p>