Exploring Extension Tubes

<p>Hi all -</p>

<p>Been awhile since I posted here!</p>

<p>I am in the market for a set of extension tubes. They sound handy, but I really don't have a clue as to what I'm looking for in a set. Can you help me? Any brands to avoid or go after?</p>

<p>I do love macro, and while I understand that macro lenses are better, I just don't have the budget right now. Perhaps I fall in love with the tubes and decide to take it one notch up with a true lens, but that's just not a monetary option right now.</p>

<p>Please let me know if you can help. My camera kit is a Nikon D80 with a 50mm, a 18-70mm, and the 70-300mm. Does the lens make a difference in this purchase decision?</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

Melinda</p>

<p>Melinda, For extension tubes on DSLR Nikon cameras, like the D80, you don't have a lot of choices. You really need the ones with the electrical contacts, which rules out Nikons, believe it or not. The only ones I know of are Kenko (Adorama has them). Your lens doesn't make any difference, that I am aware of. Your 50mm will probably give you the best performance though.</p>

<p>Thanks Michael. I'm on B&H right now. They have a set of 3 by Kenko for 170. More than I was expecting. They also have a set by Zeikos for closer to 75 bucks.</p>

<p>I just bought a house, so I really have to be budget wise. Trying to keep it under $100, if possible, since I have some cash left from Christmas.</p>

<p>Extension tubes are just that - a tube to add space between lens and body. The only thing to look out for is that the tubes can communicate lens info to the body so that you maintain TTL capability. Kenko tubes do just that.<br>

An alternative is a dioptre lens (often called a close-up filter) that screws into the front of the lens. These vary from cheap to quite expensive. The cheapest ones are single lens construction and the more expensive ($100 or more) are double element such as the 250D or 500D from Canon. I bought a 500D for my Canon 70-300 and it works very well.<br>

The extension tubes have no glass to degrade the image but because they are spreading the light over a wider area you do lose light (need slower shutter speed or wider aperture). Although I have only just got a set of tubes, I think focussing distances are shorter than with the dioptre lens. But the tubes can be used with all of your lenses.<br>

Dioptre lenses lead to no light reduction but edge peformance can drop. And being a screw-in filter you can only use them with certain lenses in your collection. But the lens is much smaller than the tubes so can slip more easily into your camera bag or pocket.</p>

<p>Melinda, I don't think the Zeikos have the necessary wiring to allow autofocus, VR, etc. to be transferred from the lens to the camera. The Kenko tubes do. You can see the row of contacts inside the tube in the B&H page.</p>

<p>Melinda, your budget will definitely allow for "maual focus" extension tubes (older Nikon tubes or third-party brand). After all, with closeup work, AF is not a big deal and unecessary. You'll be working very close, and slow, so manual focus and exposure is the norm ( at least with me). <br>

An alternative is to get yourself a cheap M42-to-Nikon lens adapter. Screw-mount extensions tubes and bellows can be had for peanuts, and a lot of good macro lenses in M42 mount can be had for cheap, too.</p>

<p> You just need a set of rings. Your 50MM will suffice in place of a macro lens.<br>

I discovered that Nikon non AI extension rings (specifically extension ring K) will fit onto my D50 and many other Nikon DSLR's that I've tried it on. The ring set hasn't an aperture ring, so there isn't anything set back on the ring to interfere with the camera's AI lever. Metering is manual only with the D50 (by histogram), and is not hard to do. Some Nikon DSLR's might actually meter with this set up, my D50 does not.</p>

<p> KEH sells the Nikon K set for $50, and a Vivitar set is $25. These are under manual focus Nikon, close up and bellows accessories. With your 50MM and the K ring set, you'll have miniature worlds to conquer.</p>

I use the Kenko's extensions, your 50mm will suffice as Steve as said but they work great with my 70-300 lens. I know that your budget is an issue but I found Kenko to be the best. Using them on the 70-300 was a requirement of a class that I took with Tony Sweet. The results were better than I expected.