What is a Tripod Use for ?

leudis_torres

<p>Hi Leudis. A tripod is simply a lightweight way to hold a camera steady in the position you want. You can use a tripod to support the camera when the amount your hands shake would make a difference in the shot, if you want to take really long exposures, or if you just want to take a shot without holding the camera - for example, if you want to appear in your own photograph.<br />

<br />

The tripod - or its head, or a quick-release plate, depending on what you have - should screw into a threaded hole on the bottom of the camera. Set up the tripod by extending the legs to the height you want - if you don't need it at full height, expand the thinnest leg sections last. If the tripod has a centre column, bear in mind that it'll be less stable than the rest, so extend it only if you need to. To avoid camera shake, you may like to use a timer mode or a remote shutter release to take the photo rather than pressing the shutter button - but even if you don't do this, the extra support from the tripod will make a big difference to how stable the camera stays during the shot. Some tripods have a hook on which you can hang some weight (e.g. a rucksack) to make the whole thing more stable.<br />

<br />

There are discussion on advanced techniques for big lenses and discussions on high-end tripods that can hold large cameras very steady. These separate the tripod head from the tripod itself, giving you more options, and large SLR lenses often attach directly to the tripod. I'm assuming this isn't your immediate concern!<br />

<br />

Have fun with your new toy - nothing's better for learning than experimenting with it. Oh, and don't forget to try not to trip over its legs - we've all done that! Good luck, and I hope that helps.</p>

<blockquote>Whenever possible the tripod is used to support the camera.</blockquote>

<p>A good way to terrify a beginner! Shaking hands do cause a lot of poor photographs - one rule of thumb is that (without image stabilisation) most people who are trying can hold a camera steady enough to get an adequately sharp image if the shutter speed is faster than 1/the (35mm equivalent) focal length in mm, in seconds. For example, on a 35mm camera, most people would get a sharp image with a 50mm lens if the shutter speed was no longer than a fiftieth of a second. It varies a lot by camera, lens, person, situation and final magnification. I mention this bit of technical nonsense because it means you need a faster shutter speed than a beginner might think if you want to hand-hold the camera - so a tripod might be more useful than one might expect. However, with good technique, a lot of masters of photography have coped perfectly well without a tripod - and others just use flash. Outdoors, or in decent indoor lighting with a modern digital camera, hand-held shots aren't as difficult as "always use a tripod" might lead you to believe.<br />

<br />

Another thought: a tripod encourages you to slow down and position the camera carefully, and think about the composition of images. For this reason, it is often recommended to beginners wanting to take photographs of static subjects (like landscapes) - it's good for learning technique. Unfortunately, I'm lazy and usually don't use one, which is probably why I don't get many nice landscape shots.</p>

<p>Hi Leudis,<br>

+1 for Andrew's comments, . . . he has covered it pretty well!</p>

<p>Do you know what type of head (if any) your tripod has. Depending on exactly what you have (or don't have) you may find looking at say Adorama's website under their Tripod section handy, at least to let you know the different types of Tripod legs, heads etc., that are available, and compare with what you have. The quickest way to get to Adorama's website is to put your mouse cursor on the "Store" tab in the top right corner of most of Photo.nets pages, then click on the "Tripod" section of the list. I'm not suggesting you buy anything, . . . it can be a good place to look and learn also!<br>

Some tripods come equipped with a tilt pan head that may or may not be removable or interchanged with something else. It may or may not have a QR (Quick Release Plate) to attach to your camera body, or in some cases the lens itself. </p>

<p>A tripod can be very useful in many circumstances, . . . for myself, I find as I get older (and things just don't move as good as they used to) I use my tripod more and more!</p>

<p>If people see a photographer with a tripod, there are various reactions or comments about it:</p>

<p>- "He knows what he is doing and defnilitely must be a PRO photographer"</p>

<p>- "Nuts, on such a bright day and he is using tripod?, he must be a beginner"</p>

<p>Taking tripod does not guaranrtee good pictures. Some experience/expertise is needed.</p>

<p>The compositional significance of tripod cannot be overstated. Its' usage is often overlooked even by those using a tripod, where comfort trumps composition. A right-angle finder is a valuable accessory, making low-angle compositions more comfortable/attainable. And another use: tripod as self-defense. Was approached by a toothy dog that nearly needed a love-tap from my ballhead.</p>

<p>I use my tripod whenever it is important to me to have a level horizon or to have straight lines parallel to the sensor/film edges. I mount one of those little leveling devices into the flash socket (http://www.adorama.com/ACRSLDAOC.html). Once I know the camera is leveled correctly, I can then frame for the composition that I want.<br>

Other fun things to do include</p>

<ul>

<li>time exposures

<ul>

<li>we all have to take a night picture of traffic </li>

<li>painting with light </li>

<li>night sky pictures </li>

</ul>

</li>

<li>double exposures--one person in multiple spots in an image</li>

</ul>