Canon Thursday Pic 2011: #5

nathangardner

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>It was a difficult month, no time for photography. But being at the bottom means there is only one way to go - to go up.</p>

<p>This is a toy. I like how it looks, could not pass by it in a department store without buying it. I've got several such toys all different colors. (Canon 7D, 70-200/4L IS@70 w/tripod, ISO 100, 0.8sec, f/20)</p><div>00Y9Nc-328201584.jpg.82c291e95840cd91b73e55985ad28eb5.jpg</div>

<p>Doing my part in another futile attempt to beat the wretched Nikon users...<br /><br />This is one of my last photos I took last week of my current foster before she was adopted into a new home.<br />f/5, 1/40, ISO 400</p><div>00Y9O7-328209584.jpg.8a7b4d7b7501d6163262fc1bedc66a27.jpg</div>

<p>One of Our's from a couple of weeks ago playing in the snow. The latest storm that hit Kansas (and most of the U.S.) dumped about a foot of snow on us and has left frigid temps below zero with high wind gusts, . . . "They just don't seem to want to play this week!"</p>

<p>Great lead in story James Dean, and a great shot!<br>

Doug Landrum's photograph has a special place with my being a former U.S. Navy Hospital Corpsman.<br>

Many great photographs by all, . . .</p><div>00Y9Oo-328221584.jpg.715a15825e8db7de9bfa14b5618a648e.jpg</div>

<p><a title="Kari Lynch by Dean Schreuder, on Flickr" href=" Kari Lynch src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5297/5399891965_7d7b78d41d_z.jpg" alt="Kari Lynch" width="427" height="640" /></a></p>

<p><strong>Kari Lynch performing at Old Dog Tavern in Kalamazoo, MI.</strong></p>

<p>Camera: Canon EOS 7D<br />Lens: Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM<br />Exposure Mode: Manual<br />Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)<br />Aperture: f/7.1<br />Focal Length: 55 mm<br />ISO Speed: 800<br />Exposure Bias: 0 EV<br />Flash: On, Fired</p>

<p>

I used a Canon 7D with a Canon 17-55mm, F2.8 lens. I had two Canon 430EXII flash units sitting on the speakers (one stage left and the second stage right) that were triggered with a Canon 580EXII mounted on the camera using Canon's remote Infra Red system. The 580EXII was set to "master: disabled" so it merely acted as the master remote but did not contribute to the lighting of the scene. The flash that was stage left had a 1/2 CTO gel over it while the flash on stage right had no gel. I did this to unbalance the color temperature of the flash units from side to side. I shot completely manual (including the flash units) and I had my white balance set manually between 5000k to 5200K. I alternated the output of the flash units (in camera) depending on what angle I was shooting from. Also, both 430EXII flash units had Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce Diffusers on them to spread the light over a larger area.

</p>

<p>This photo is from Sunday morning, barely a mile from my house. A big rain had just passed thru and I jammed over to the RR tracks to get a few shots -- I was in a B&W mode but am posting color here in this forum. 7D + 24-70 lens (my usual basic kit). Digging these snow photos! (family from Indiana and Boston also sending me a lot)</p><div>00Y9Qv-328261684.jpg.977beb7c8e3767d2f3ea77726b8a5fd5.jpg</div>

<p>As monster blizzards sweep across America, keep Jimmy Buffett's lyrics in mind:</p>

<p>"Lately, newspapers mentioned cheap airfare,<br />I've got to fly to St Somewhere,<br />I'm close to bodily harm."</p>

<p>This isn't Jimmy's Caribbean, but it's somewhere warm. It's sunset on the Big Island of Hawaii last Friday evening. I was there on business and it wasn't a bad place to be considering that I'm home now and it's 12 degrees Fahrenheit outside with snow on the ground. "St Somewhere" sounds pretty good.</p>

<div>00Y9Rz-328283584.jpg.ce6497dd1f8a2f08989509ea196b3876.jpg</div>

<p>Well, I've been sick in bed the past few days with the flu bug that's been going around the office, so I couldn't get out and shoot during the ice storm the other day. It was sort of an unusual ice storm, anyway, starting late in the day, with most of the ice accumulating after dark, then warming up and raining, washing the ice away before dawn. It was enough to knock out our power for the night and part of the next morning, though. So, in the spirit of the great storm, but cheating just a bit, here is a shot from a few years back of the ice on the maple tree in my back yard. Shot with my 20D and EF 100mm macro. The ice from this particular storm stayed around for a few days, and as you can see, the sky cleared and the sun came out, which really made for some fun shooting.</p><div>00Y9SB-328287584.jpg.0235c83dab59abd398174fc4fba1391f.jpg</div>

<p>No inclement weather here in beautiful San Francisco, but my photo efforts were still indoors, mostly at Macworld Expo. The event was sadly lacking this year unless you're in the market for iPad or iPhone accessories, but I attended all three days of the expo anyway as there were several musical performances I was interested in watching and shooting. This shot is from the Advanced Jazz Band of the Urban School of San Francisco; very talented group of kids.<br>

<a title="Urban School of San Francisco at Macworld Expo by funcrunch, on Flickr" href=" Urban School of San Francisco at Macworld Expo src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5016/5405854120_cd81a2dcdc_o.jpg" alt="Urban School of San Francisco at Macworld Expo" width="580" height="500" /></a><br>

Canon 5D Mk II, 85mm f/1.8, 1/125, ISO 1600.</p>