Big-Island Lava Viewing and other tips

anat1

<p>Dear PNers,<br>

As part of a Hawaii trip (Kauai + Big Island), I will be in the Big-Island for 2 nights and 3 days in Feb (this month).<br>

I need recommendations in terms of Lava viewing and photographing. Most threads I see on this topic seem to be several years old - so wasn't sure what the conditions as they relate to photography are currently.</p>

<p>I understand there are three method for lava / volcano viewing:<br>

1. Hike to the edge of the lava fields where the lava is still hot. Is this still an option? Or has it being closed? If its open, what tome of day is best to go? And how long / strenuous is the the hike?<br>

2. Take a boat to where the hot lava flows in to the ocean. Would you recommend this currently - any idea how likely it is that we will see active lava flows during our trip? How safe is it - I read some trip-adv reports of extremely shoppy boat rides in near darkness. Lastly, what is the bets time to do the boat-lava-viewing trip? For instance, should we be at the lava *before the sun rises* - or is it ok to get there about 7am (which is probably 30 mins after sunrise). Would sunset viewing be better instead?<br>

3. Flight / Heli seeing of the crater. Is this still a possibility? How good are the views?<br>

Are there any other ways to see the volcano / lava upclose?</p>

<p>Also, could you recommend other specific landscape photog locations (colored beaches, specific hikes, waterfalls, vistas etc)?</p>

<p>Many thanks in advance.</p>

<p>AN,<br>

My recommendation would be to stay at a bed and breakfast like My-Island Bed and Breakfast at Volcano Village get up before sunrise and drive down Chain of Craters Road during sunrise. Stop at the <strong>Pu'u Loa Petroglyph Field and photograph in the early morning light for an hour or two and then go on to the end of Chain of Craters that will get you within eye site of the lava flow. You may be disappointed with how close you can actually get to the lava flow but sometimes you get lucky. Check out <a href="http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/kilaueastatus.php">http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/kilaueastatus.php</a> for activity. After Chain of Craters I would trek to South Point. The drive down hwy 11 can be spectacular when the easterly wind drive waves up 100 feet in the air and South Point itself is a truly sacred and special place. If you like to snorkel the Kona side of the point is often quiet and has gin clear water that gets deep very fast. There are B&Bs close to South Point but if you choose to go back in the afternoon stop at the Black Sand beach at Punaluu. Green Sea Turtles come ashore to sun in the late afternoon on the black sand and are fantastic photographic subjects. If you are looking for water falls Akaka Falls north of Hilo are very nice and only a short hike from parking. I would also check what time sunset occurs and call the Volcano House restaurant on the edge of Kiluea crate and set up a sunset dinner next to a window. Hawaii is a special place and every time I return I regret having left the beautiful people, land and ocean. Good hunting. Andy</strong></p>

<p>I did a 'doors-off' helicopter ride out of Hilo. The only lava view we had though was one 'window' in a lava tube. The most dramatic shots were actually the steam images where the lava came into the sea. I was there maybe two years ago so I have no real input on current conditions.<br>

Regarding hiking to the flows. The best shots are after dusk/dark. The hikes are said to be 'very hazardous' as occasionally a whole basalt shelf may break off suddenly (as has happened taking visitors). Best to get a guide to do this hike if you want it in your plans. Safety first. </p><div>00Y9Js-328145584.jpg.bdc8e9fd2c1119f7120c30c4edc8b4d5.jpg</div>

<p>If you hike, I'll offer a couple of thoughts. First, take about three times as much water as you think you'll need. I would suggest about at least half gallon per person, maybe a whole gallon per person if you are planning on staying out for awhile. I am NOT kidding here. Something about the place just sucks the moisture right out of you. I don't suggest wearing shorts or sandals. I wore sturdy work boots and the lava cut them to pieces. It completely chewed up a pair of sneakers my wife was wearing. We hiked out in late afternoon, and hiked back under a full moon. That was most cool! Once again, take two or three times more water than you think you'll ever need. As for the hike itself, I'll say this. I'm a pretty adventurous guy. I've been showshoeing in Yellowstone in winter, climbed a cinder cone in Iceland, and have done a number of recent hikes in Yosemite and mountains 12-14,000 ft. Hiking out to the lava in Hawaii was one of the tougher hikes I've done. Ever. There is no trail--you scramble up and down boulders that are sharp as broken glass. Take extra water.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p><strong>@Edwards:</strong> As it happens, we are staying at a B&B in Volcano. I'll be sure to do the drive you suggest - sounds great. Seeing the Green Sea Turtles will be great - hope we get lucky. For the snorkeling - would the location you suggest have snorkeling gear rentals - or should we already have gear (rented elsewhere previously)?<br />Thank you for your advise and all the helpful suggestions - we hope to try all of them! <br /><br /><br /><strong>@Douglas:</strong> the doors-off heli ride sounds very interesting. Do you remember which tour operator you used and what time of day you would recommend going on such a heli ride? The hike option sounds quite hazardous. Thank you your advice. Lastly, what focal-lengths would you recommend I shoot with - the cool picture you appended says 20-35mm - were you relatively close to the crater then (as opposed to how high a fixed-wing flight would be at)? <br /><br /><br /><strong>@Kent:</strong> You sure are an adventurous person. I don't think I am nearly as adventurous - but I'm definitely not as physically fit - so we may just pass on the lava hike (or just try it part way for the experience). Thanks for the warnings.<br /><br /><br />I would also appreciate it if you could point to other landscape-photog friendly locations on the Big Isle esp. around Volcano, Hilo - but also any where else. Thank you very much again!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Honestly I can't recall the operator, but I checked and there are several companies. Regarding focal lengths I had brough both a 20-35 and 70-300. Because we were 'doors off' I was too frightened to get the 70-300 out of my pocket. In retrospect I think a little wider at times (maybe to 15mm?) and maybe as long as a 100mm would have been helpful. That said, I think I got most of what I wanted with the 20-35mm (cropped sensor)<br>

Time of day. I think it was mid-morning, but again, I'm not all that certain. The only other thing, make sure you are next to the door. Things absolutely will fall out if you are not careful so you want to be ready prior to getting up in the air.<br>

As to other places to photograph, the west is dry (think lava flows) , There are some nice beaches and seascapes. The east is wet with several nice waterfalls and some nice foliage, especially the botanical gardens. DON'T MISS THE Waipio Valley (NE side)! The uplands are honestly IMHO a little dull (ranches mostly). The south side has volcano views and a lot of vents in the park. There is a nice black sand beach that is often loaded with turtles. When we were there many of the vent views in the park were off-limits because of unsafe gases. There is a road in the middle of the island that you can get up on the volcano, we couldn't make that drive though (lack of time and car rental restrictions).<br /></p>

<p>AN I probably spoke too soon. I have been diving since 1967. Diving or even snorkeling South Point requires experience. It is fairly wild and there are no concessions or buildings of any kind. Kent's comment about fresh water is also true at South Point. There are certainly no rentals so my advice would be unless you are an experienced swimmer/snorkeler/diver I would advise against getting in the water there. My apologies. Snorkeling at the black sand beach at Punaluu is a better bet and sometimes the turtles are in the water with you. Best to bring your snorkel gear with you. You can certainly rent in Hilo and Volcanoes may have gear as well. Lava Rock Cafe has a great breakfast. Good hunting. Andy</p>

<p>Your odds are poor with almost any strategy. The tour operators are always going to talk up your chances, but there's usually overcast and little flow. At times there are spectacular exceptions, but most of the time your lucky to see a "window" or two and some steam. If there were an independent source to find out where the action is, then I'd suggest it. If you're not seeing anything on the news, then it's probably business as usual and not a whole lot to see.</p>

<p>I still recommend the trip, but realize that most of the spectacular pictures you see were taken by a local that has persisted over many months or a very lucky tourist.</p>

<p>I had good success with my 70-200mm with the 1.4x TC. Here's a shot of what you're likely to see:</p>

<p><a title="An active volcano vent by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" An active volcano vent src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2776/4268455380_6702f72dfe_b.jpg" alt="An active volcano vent" width="1024" height="683" /></a></p>

<p>The best source of information on the lava flow is <a href="http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/kilaueastatus.php">http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/kilaueastatus.php</a><br>

As of 2/10, the lava is flowing outside the park in the Kalapana Gardens area at the end of Highway 130. If there is ocean entry, that would be the best road to view it on and/or hike to. The end of chain of craters road is way far from the flow at present (has been for about 2 years now). Also, check out <a href="http://www.lavaocena.com/">www.lavaocena.com</a>. If they are running, they will give you a sea side view to the lava. Have done the trip and it is awesome.</p>

<p>The best source of information on the lava flow is <a href="http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/kilaueastatus.php">http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/kilaueastatus.php</a><br>

As of 2/10, the lava is flowing outside the park in the Kalapana Gardens area at the end of Highway 130. If there is ocean entry, that would be the best road to view it on and/or hike to. The end of chain of craters road is way far from the flow at present (has been for about 2 years now). Also, check out <a href="http://www.lavaocena.com/">www.lavaocena.com</a>. If they are running, they will give you a sea side view to the lava. Have done the trip and it is awesome.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Thank you so much everybody for your very useful information. I apologise for responding so late. I had already left by the time I got some of the replies and didn't have much wifi access to reply. Luckily I did have 3G access on my phone, so I got all this information while there as emails from photo.net - I just couldnt respond properly using my phone. Then I returned and promptly fell ill :D.</p>

<p>We had a wonderful time and I think I got lots of keeper pics thanks to the great tips I got from you guys.</p>

<p>We first went to Kauai and then to the Bi-Island. Both wonderful experiences. In hind-sight, I would limit my trip to a single island (unless we have atleast 10 days). It was a little hectic. But enjoyed all of it. I hope to post pics soon.</p>

<p>Again, Edward, Douglas, Kent, David and James - Thank you very much!</p>

<p> </p>