Sigma YS Mount to Nikon Converter

vineet.rajasekhar

<p>Hi, <br>

I was given an old Sigma 18mm f/3.5 lens, which my father has been using on his old Leica 35mm SLR. The lens was being used with a leica lens adapter, which screwed into the YS lens, and had a leica mount on the other side. <br>

The lens seems to be in great condition, and I'm really keen to use it with my Nikon D700. But, I assume I must first find and attach a YS to Nikon lens adapter. <br>

I realise that doing this will mean I can only use the lens as a purely manual device, even having to stop down aperture manually after focusing and composing. I'm fine with this, as most of what I'll be doing with this lens will be tripod mounted, landscape type work. <br>

Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to, and worth, getting a YS to Nikon adapter? <br>

Alternatively, someone suggested I could get a Leica to Nikon adapter, and use the lens with the YS > Leica > Nikon adapter arrangement? Is this workable? Wouldn't this screw up the distance between the lens and the film/sensor?<br>

I really would like to use this lens - any guidance on how I can make it work on my D700 would be fantastic. </p>

<p>Thank you very much, <br>

Vineet</p>

<p>You can use a T mount for Nikon on the lens. Simply unscrew the existing adapter & screw on the Nikon T mount. As you suspected, you will have to manually stop down the aperture just as you would with any other T mount usage. The change of finding a YS to Nikon mount is slim at best. You could see if any other Nikon YS mount lenses are available on eBay, but Sigma's mounts were not as readily available as were Vivitar's TX & T4 mounts...</p>

<p>Vineet, if you are in the U.S, I could send you an original YS mount to Nikon adapter. You may need to have it modified to fit AI or newer, as these came out for the earlier F mount only. I would ask you to keep the one from Adorama, since you should be guaranteed that it would work, and I cannot be sure the YS adapter is complete. It has a coupler prong attachment and a set of instructions.<br>

-Peter</p>