Keep the Fuji S3 said the camera store assistant

russharris

<p>Having debated the issue for the last two months I am finally heading to the store to make my purchase. I have a bunch of kit to trade and some cash to spend*.</p>

<p>On offer at the camera store:<br /> D7000, new (R14000 / +$2000)*<br /> D300, used (R10000/ +$1400)*<br /> D90, new (R8500/ +$1200)*<br /> D5000, used (R4500/ +$650)*</p>

<p>Or, I can go for a new 16-85 (R7500/ +$1300)* and SB 400 flash.</p>

<p>Here's the kicker. The sales assistant said, "For your type of photography (gallery copy work & street) I'd keep the Fuji S3. The D7000 is good but still doesn't match the Fuji in terms of dynamic range or colour. I don't mind selling you the D7000, it will make me R3000 profit. But hey, it's your choice."</p>

<p>Is he firing on all cylinders? I like the camera, LOVE its colour, but it is slow as heck when it comes to viewing images.</p>

<p>This is my first real opportunity to invest in decent equipment; I don't want to make a mistake on this so I'd really value any input you can give me.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Russ</p>

<p>*I'm now in South Africa so am spending local currency (Rands) which is valued at a R6.9 / $1 Dollar exchange rate</p>

<p>I think the main problem you're going to find with the Fuji S3 is the slow RAW writing times. If you don't shoot RAW files, then its not a problem for you. The newer Nikon bodies have much faster processors and bigger memory buffers for RAW file processing and writing.<br>

But even if you do buy a new body, keep the S3 anyway as a second body. That way you can evaluate the D90/D5000/D300/D7000 and decide over a period of time whether you are truly satisfied with it vs. the S3. I have a pro photographer friend with the S2 Pro and he ended up going with Canon bodies and lenses and has never missed his S2.<br>

<br /> Don't trade your equipment at the store, you won't get what it is worth on the used market. It's better to sell locally or on ebay. Stores will give you less than half of the cash you can get on the street.</p>

<p>FWIW, according to DxO Mark, he's got something regarding the DR (below ISO ~1000), but not the color depth. The cameras can be <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/528|0/%28appareil2%29/680|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Fujifilm/%28brand2%29/Nikon">compared here</a>. Click the tabs and see for yourself what they came up with. At $2k USD for a D7000 there, it sounds like he's looking out for your best interests. List price in the USA is $1199.95 USD.</p>

<p>If I came across a camera salesperson like that here, I'd buy him/her lunch.</p>

<p>I have and use the Fuji S-1 Pro. I'll never give it up, then again I don't shoot raw. The colors are very film-like, seems to be a Fuji signature. I'm an amateur who shoots a lot of film and also use older digital cameras. My favorites are Nikon Coolpix 990, Kodak 3400, Nikon Coolpix 2100 and the above mentioned Fuji DSLR....all low megapixel cameras (from 2 to 3.4 MP).All purchased used within the last few years for very short coin. The industry loves to upgrade the consumer as do the shooters!</p>

<p>it's too bad fuji never made an S5, because for a while the S3s were the go-to bodies for wedding photogs and portrait artists, who raved about the skin tones they produce. because Fuji no longer makes DSLRs, the S3 is a collector's item. as long as its in good working condition, holding onto it is not a bad idea.</p>

<p>as far as decent equipment, newer isnt always better. the S3 is based on a d200 body and can use older nikkor lenses, so it's possible to assemble a nice kit for not too much outlay if you shop around and do your research. personally, i think the 16-85 is overrated and overpriced. if it was f/4 it might be worth its price. you can get a used 18-70 for half what the 16-85 costs or less, which is actually faster at the long end (4.5 vs. 5.6).</p>

<p>The D200 based S5 doesn't count? I'm all for getting a backup body. I believe Fuij can't/doesn't repair the S3 sensor any longer, so if it breaks (as all things do eventually), you're SOL. The Fuji X100 doesn't have a SuperCCD sensor, but rather a traditional Sony CMOS sensor. I wonder what a new Fuji DSLR would look like… Some rumors circulating around on dpreview seemed to indicate that the new X100 distinctly lacked the traditional Fuji colors.</p>

<p>In any case, I guess it's time to fix my F30.</p>

<p>I've got the Fuji S3 and it is indeed frustratingly slow. I also have D7000 at my use at work, and it sure is nice camera too. But for more pleasing color, DR and jpg-output I prefer my Fuji's. So I would agree with Dave, if you're going to buy a new camera, keep the S3 for a backup body. I surely will keep my Fuji's with me until they die.</p>

<p>So if it is speed and/or megapixels you're after and you got money burning in your pocket, just go for it! For gallery copy work some extra MP's could be a benefit. But with those (rather high) prices, I just might get the D300 instead of the D7000 and use the left over money for SB-600 or some nice lens. On the other hand, for street photography the D7000 is somewhat smaller.</p>

<p>And by the way, SB-400 won't work with Fuji S3. (SB-400 works only in i-TTL-mode, and S3 supports only D-TTL)</p>

<p>(P.S. Fuji S5 Pro is somewhat faster than the S3. So if you can find one for nice price, that could be an option too if you like the pics you get with the S3.)</p>

<p>(P.P.S. Eric, Fuji S6 Pro is the one that never came, S5 is the one based on D200, and S3 is based on Nikon F80)</p>

<p>Personally I'd go for a D7000 over a Fuji S3...but that's me...<br>

I have shot (and owned) a Fuji S5 - and D300 (which isn't as new as the D7000)<br>

- hands down - the D300 won. Faster, better Dynamic Range, Faster AF, Easier menu's... and the S5 is an improvement over the S3. Keep in mind that the Fuji S3 is kind of in between the D1 and D2 series from Nikon. S5 was a D200 with a Fuji Sensor and Fuji Firmware. So in terms of age - the S3 is about 3 generations from "current" (D1,D2,D3,D7000)</p>

<p>As others said - last place to sell used gear is the camera store - if you want to sell - S3 would be a great backup body for a D7000.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Eric, you are getting mixed up. The Fuji S3 is still based on the Nikon N80/D100 with a newer sensor than the S2. The S5 uses the same sensor but is based on the D200. All of those are very old technology by now.</p>

<p>As far as sensor and electronics go, the D7000 is by far the best Nikon F mount DX-format DSLR at this point.</p>

<p>Dave Lee, David Haas, Eric thanks for the suggestion to keep the S3 as a backup body. I think that's a great idea!</p>

<p>As I travel a lot on business I don't have time to auction things online so I will also visit another store for a quote and to see what they have to offer.</p>

<p>Eric, I agree, the 16-85 seems to be overpriced for what it is. In the short run I am planning to come out of this with a decent body to use with my 60/2.8 AF-S Micro, 35/1.8 DX & 18-55 VR.</p>

<p>thanks shun, i guess fuji did make the s5, but stopped producing DSLRs before upgrading to an s6 or s7--which would have been sweet! in any event, if i had an s3 or an s5, i would keep it. it's in a class along with the foveon sensor (which sigma unfortunately cant seem to put into a decent body, ergonomics-wise), so might as well hold on to it, as long as it can produce good images.</p>

<p>russel, all those lenses you mention have AF-S motors, so you could conceivably get any low-end nikon DSLR and have a nice compact kit. i'd probably get a d3100 over a d5000 if it were me, but you might even be able to find a good deal on a used d40 or d60. re: the 16-85, its debatable what that would really give you that you don't have already (besides 2mm on the wide end and 30mm on the long end). optically, it's a little better than the 18-55 but not by so much that it can justify its pricetag IMO. for that price, i'd rather have constant 2.8. also, with the lenses you have now, the only thing i would add for travel might be an UWA and maybe a tele like the 55-200 or 70-300.</p>

The S3 is getting pretty old. I owned one, still own an S5, headed to eBay.

Bodies are current for about 18 months. Look for a current model Nikon.

If you want to work with several SB flashes on an S3, forget it. Also it is a plastic body, with a miserable job of

resoldering connections inside when fuji added their equipment.

<p>Just to let you all know that I went for the D300 + a used 18-70 AF-S. Haven't shot it in low light yet but I am very pleased with the camera's AF-response and exposures. Thanks for all your help!</p>

<p>I took the attached jpeg of my nephew was shot in natural light, 70mm, F/4.5; 1/100 s, ISO 500, AP.</p><div>00Y8zn-327761584.JPG.ee636df1f472f5aa8b02bf03db26369f.JPG</div>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I use a D300s and a Fuji S5 , which has a similar sensor to the S3. For Normal use the D300S works well but only matches the DR of the Fuji using 14bit RAW (and makes it slow) for Low Light there is no contest The Fuji Colours are superb right up to the 3200 Limit (with reduced DR and more grain) The D 300s may have less noise at higher ISOs but the colour can go flat above 1000ISO if not exposed corectly. Even when Exposed well the D300 lacks the vibrant Colour and Skin tones and JPGs only!<br />For portrature I'll use the Fuji.<br>

Anyone got a good S5 for sale? mines wearing out!</p>